what is correct rule if bowler has to leave with frames left

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

what is correct rule if bowler has to leave with frames left

Post by krava »

looked at this: https://www.ballreviews.com/miscellaneo ... eone-leave" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have had 2 different experiences;
2 years ago I blew out my shoulder 10th frame, the person with the lowest average had to finish,
This summer, my partner had to leave, they gave him credit and somehow he bowled better then average so when he left his score was higher then his average. (they started auto doing his average from the next frame on)

from what i read I am seeing 1/10 score but that is 10 years ago.

I bowled 2 games tonight didn't have issues, then 3rd game, stuff started to quickly escalate. By 4th frame pain was 7/10 on a scale with me praying that it doesn't pop. I couldn't aim with it do nothing, it was like there was no shoulder. went from averaging 217 or so down to 162 last game. (not sure what happend there either. Bowled 7 games sunday with no pain at all. Nothing remotely like this prior days or weeks. Today I decided to use a 16lb instead of 15lb ball for most of the 1st game, got 2 X only in the 8 frames bowled with it, then went to my normal 15lb ball I been using for drills then got 10 X in a row). Should have asked what would happen if I just leave. We lost that game by over 110 anyway.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Re: what is correct rule if bowler has to leave with frames

Post by spmcgivern »

My understanding is you get 1/10 of your average for the remaining frames.

The downside is you calculate your complete score up to the last ball you threw. So if you have a strike or spare and then stop bowling, you would not be given any credit for extra pins from subsequent throws.

X X X, then stop bowling would be 60 in the third then 1/10 of your average for the remaining 7 frames.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Rule 108 – Failure to Complete Game
108a. With Cause
When a player is unable to complete a game because of disability, injury or emergency, and another eligible player is not available, the team shall count the actual score for the frames bowled plus one- tenth of the league’s absentee score for each frame missed. (See Rule 118a for average information.)
NOTE:
For computing score: Take actual score for frames bowled; for a strike or spare in last frame bowled credit 10 pins. Add 1/10 of league’s absentee score for each of the remaining frames. For example, if absentee score is bowler’s average less 10: Absentee score, 145; 1/10 of 145 = 14.5 x 3 frames = 43.5. Drop fraction and add 43 to actual score for 7 frames bowled. The fraction is dropped after the total amount is gured, and not from each frame.
Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 108a.
108a/1 When a team member must leave during a game due to injury, how is the remainder of their game scored? What if they must leave in the middle of a frame after making only their rst delivery?
Rule 108a provides that if a team member is unable to complete a game due to disability, injury or emergency and another team member is not available, the team shall count the actual score for the frames bowled plus one-tenth of the league’s absentee score for each of the remaining frames in the game.
When a team member only makes their rst delivery in a frame and is unable to complete the game, they can only be credited with the number of pins knocked down on that delivery for the frame. The team member gets credit for all completed and partial frames bowled plus one-tenth of their absentee score for additional frames missed..
Last edited by bowl1820 on October 3rd, 2018, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Of possible interest ... ???

https://www.bowl.com/rules/Rules_Home/U ... ing_Rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"With our new apps downloaded to your smart phone, you can look up rules anytime, anywhere! Click here for iPhones and Android phones and here for Windows phones.

Attention iPhone users: Need a searchable at-your-fingertips copy of the USBC Playing Rules? Simply open the PDF version in iBooks. "

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... lebook.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I saw the 1/10 rule. I am glad I didn't stop. I don't think that is fair at all. So see if this is correct?

suppose you have 80 in the 5th frame. your average is 200. 1/10 of 200 is 20 so since you bowled 1/2 of the frames, you get half of 20.

So you end up with 80 + 10 more pins???? who came up with that. Edited (1/10 per frame) Oh that makes more since 1/10 of average - 10 or whatever for each frame. That is more fair.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

krava wrote:I saw the 1/10 rule. I am glad I didn't stop. I don't think that is fair at all. So see if this is correct?

suppose you have 80 in the 5th frame. your average is 200. 1/10 of 200 is 20 so since you bowled 1/2 of the frames, you get half of 20.

So you end up with 80 + 10 more pins???? who came up with that. Edited (1/10 per frame) Oh that makes more since 1/10 of average - 10 or whatever for each frame. That is more fair.

No - you get whatever you've shot. THEN, PER FRAME you get 1/10th of your average. So would get 20 pins per frame after whatever you've bowled. So, you have 80 in the 5th, you would get 80 + (20 * 5) = 180.

Except that it's from your ABSENTEE score (which is typically avg - 10) so it would be 190/10 so 80+(19*5)=175

Which is reasonable.
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Post by turbotwister »

we finish the bowler with a blind score from where they left off.....
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

turbotwister wrote:we finish the bowler with a blind score from where they left off.....
right - but we were defining what that blind score should be. :)
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Tonight we had this exact situation happen, Bowler had to drop out do a injured toe after four frames.

The blind was punched in and the scorer automatically calculated the proper score using the 1/10 rule.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

bowl1820 wrote:Tonight we had this exact situation happen, Bowler had to drop out do a injured toe after four frames.

The blind was punched in and the scorer automatically calculated the proper score using the 1/10 rule.
Based on my understanding of the rule you have to be careful when allowing the scoring system calculate the final score. If a bowler cannot finish and has a spare or strike, the score must be calculated up to that frame before applying the 1/10 per frame score.

For instance, if a bowler gets a strike in the first frame and cannot continue, they would get a score of 10 in the first frame and get 1/10 of the blind score in each subsequent frame. So a blind score of 200 would be a score of 10 + 9(1/10 x 200) = 190.

I have seen scoring systems give simulated count and spare or a strike and add the bonus to the previous bowled frame making the final score different than it should be.