Predicting Ball motion

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Jochemke

Predicting Ball motion

Post by Jochemke »

Hello everyone,

I'm bowling for a year now and i'm really looking into every factor of bowling. I'm trying to learn more about ball motion and drilling and such. But I would like to know if there really is a way to tell how the ball will most likely behave on the lane? I do know that it depends much on the person, lane, condition, etc but what do ball specs say?

For example if i'm looking for a (strong) arcing motion, what do I have to look for?

I really hope someone can help me here.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Predicting Ball motion

Post by 44boyd »

Continuous is the word you’re looking for.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Joe, have you checked out the BowlingChat-Wiki?
Some hopefully helpful tidbits and bread crumbs.

Here is an article from 2017
https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowling-balls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do not have a "go to" pro-shop guru, preferably ibpsia certified, find one and establish a relationship. The more the pro shop guru knows about your bowling bio, the more they can help you. Ball speed off hand, axis tilt, axis rotation, PAP.

Manufacturers normally state the design intent of bowling balls.
Periodicals like Bowling This month and Bowler's journal have ball reviews that list characteristics and intent.

http://www.bowlersjournal.com/annual-ba ... s-archive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has pdfs by year including 2018
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Jochemke wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm bowling for a year now and i'm really looking into every factor of bowling. I'm trying to learn more about ball motion and drilling and such. But I would like to know if there really is a way to tell how the ball will most likely behave on the lane? I do know that it depends much on the person, lane, condition, etc but what do ball specs say?

For example if i'm looking for a (strong) arcing motion, what do I have to look for?
Ball surface is about 60% of the ball motion. Dull surface is more arc where as shiny surfaces are more angular at the breakpoint. The layout is used to tune the action of the core to your particular release specs. Speed, Revs Tilt and Rotation. Lower ratio layouts are more arcing in the shape and high Ratios are more skid snap

I really hope someone can help me here.
Comment in color above
The Dual Angle Ratio guide is how the ratios are determined...
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... atio_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Picking out a ball is not necessarily the easiest to do or even explain.
Knowing release specs, lane condition and what your favorite color is. I joke about color because I have shopped for color on more than one occasion. It is important to many bowlers.

Higher differential will have more hook potential.
Asymmetrical cored balls have more drilling options.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand