Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Krava's path to Success commentary

Post by JMerrell »

Krava,
As you cannot comment in the Certified Coaching Forum, I have created this post for any questions you may have during this journey.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Krava's path to Success commentary

Post by krava »

Thanks for all those points on that. I will have to read over that at least a dozen times and print it out when I go again.
________________________________________________________________________________
I watched the video that you told me to do several times. There are a few things left out in the video.
#1 what board to start at. I didn't know what board to start at so I just picked one. (answered in your analysis)

#2 how much weight should be on each foot when you start the 1 step drill? I have 70% to 80% on my right leg? (skip you answered this with the left foot being on the toe and most weight on right foot. But it isn't addressed in the video).

#3 they aren't specific in the 1 step drill telling you where to put your left hand and how. (they something about it in the video but it is quick and not really understandable). I remember from Jim S video that you stick your hand out infront of you. In the video you can't see the starting position in the back view they show of that. (you answered that in your analysis)

_________________________________________________________________________________
Things that were my fault:

#1 i lost my good sliding sole monday and only have one that half slides. I am buying a new one so I can slide better. Hopefully it fixes a little of not sliding enough. I did this before with the good sliding sole and still didn't move much, I guess I have a problem transfering the weight over to the foot and energy. My weight is already on the right side the ball is on the right side, I am not sure how to transfer any weight over to the left. There is also the tilt to the right side. How do you get any weight over to the left side with all that going on?

#2 I am used to doing Jim S. drills and cocked my wrist like he said. I did notice that she didn't and thought she was doing it wrong so I will skip the cocked part and try that version out.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Questions:

#1 You said these can be done at home. how do you do that exactly? Do it without a ball and go through the movements? Get an old ball and practice on the grass?

another question:
#2 6) Slide 1 in the Foul Line Side View your starting hand position is correct. However, in slide 2 you immediately cock your wrist. DO NOT DO THIS, MAINTAIN THE STARTING HAND POSITION (slide #1) THROUGHOUT THE DRILL!

in slide 1 2 and 3 my wrist was cocked the entire time. If my wrist wasn't cocked, my thumb would be pointed toward the ground. I was copying jim S and not the one in the video. I will copy the one in the video you sent me from now on.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Regarding home practice - stepping into Jim's Dojo. Remember he is the master.

Just suggestions that come to mind.
If you have a smooth surface in your home like vinyl flooring or hardwood, remove your shoe from your slide foot, slide in your sock.
A prop instead of a ball. You need "some" weight an object close to the dimensions of a bowling ball, a plastic bottle with a screw on top, fill the bottle with something, water, uncooked rice, sand, the goal is weight and size. If you use a ball, your fingers and thumb will sweat and you will tire faster. If you must use a ball, pace yourself, it's not aerobic training.

A sidebar comment on the drills, don't be concerned at all with even getting the ball to the pins. Remember Jim's objectives and only his objectives.

Stay the course, stay focused, you are putting the pieces together.
It takes two to learn, the teacher and a student who is committed to the lessons.
Paint the fence, wax on, wax off etc.
You are a young man, you will get there ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

She did a great job in those videos and the bowling world should be thankful for her effort.

I am well aware that some of the items I pointed out are not explained in her video, but I figured that if you could get close to executing them per her guidelines we would be off to a good start.

If it sounded as though I was scolding you to not doing them to my methodology, them let me apologize for any miss understanding, but let’s keep moving forward. You were not at fault my friend.

As for the sliding issue in the Swing & Slide Drill, remember you have to start further back from the foul line to create an opportunity for a longer slide. Also, the upper body must tilt forward, you get the weight of your head moving forward the slide will increase or you’ll fall on your face.

You can practice both of these drills at home (no ball necessary), without shoes on a floor or carpet. When doing the Swing & Slide Drill focus on the lower slide leg being perpendicular to the floor, not leaning to the left. (review the Trail Leg Foot Slide of you and Verity). It’s also important that you roll the ankle of the trail leg as it moves left.

Work on them and update your video.
-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Kajmk: the house is 80% carpet, 10% ceramic tile. The only hard wood floor is 4 feet by 4 feet small square by front door. Concrete patio in the back. (since I moved the bowling alley is straight down the street and then 1 turn left and I am there).

What about the bowling buddy swing training tool? What do you think of that? Do you think that is worth trying our or just skip it? The first time I focused on my swing I think I did a pretty good job of it. I think it should weight more though 5lbs instead of a 15lb ball isn't the same. It should weigh atleast 10.

(before practice, I will have a piece of paper with all the notes written down such as where to stand, how to have my hand etc. I will also have the computer with me and watch the same video that I was told to mimic. After each game I tape on camera, I review a few shots see what is going on and if I can fix. I will have a check list. For example 1 step drill thumb down and hand infront on the left? etc)

practice outline: (See if there is anything wrong with this) It isn't possible just to do drills when leagues are going on, can't skip league for a few weeks and just do drills. I wish I could.

Monday:
League 6:30 Bowl 3 games normal (I was going to go back to full roller just for league until I get this fixed but that might throw me off. I am down to averaging 180's right now because experimenting with release and how to get under the ball to end up in the correct position at the foul line with hand and missing a lot more spares then normal 2-3 a game) I can't remember how I bowled the past 2 years and it is like a clean slate). Normal for me now is standing 7-8 boards from my target, watch the swing and just let the ball fall, then as it falls back in the backswing, try to get under it and get into position with index finger at 7pm right at the foul line and come out of hopefully like in the practice drills. If ball overhooks, 5-6pm position at the foul line instead tames the hook down.

Tuesday:
9-11 $10 all you can bowl so, do 2 games foul line drills, 4 games or so 1 step drill. 1-2 games trying to do a 4 step approach and come out of the ball like in the drills. I am having a big problems with spares right now. I have tightened up my shot like 10 boards to the right and haven't tighted up my spare shooting. I still stand at 26 to throw it down 8 to pick up the 9 pin or the 3 6 10. I am going to try to stand 15 and roll it down 8. During practice spare shooting, I am going to work on the arm swing (making sure it is straight), and also make sure I don't force the ball. Just let it go naturally. I want the shots to be about the same just different hand position to pick up the spares not gun it down there to pick up the 10 pin sometimes like I do.

Wednesday
same as tuesday

Thursday
3 Games league, then same as tues wed after league

Friday
1 game foul line drill 3 games 1 step drill (if spare shooting is back to normal skip spare shooting)

Sunday
same as Friday

(this is if I don't have any shoulder pain, moderate shoulder pain then taking day off).
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

If your arm is about to fall off, you don’t need a 10 pound tool to learn a straight swing. I’d cut down on the volume of practice, take that extra time to rehab and get in shape. If you have a 4x4 area to slide then start on the carpet and finish on the hardwood or tile, if there’s a will there’s a way. I like the bowling buddy, but not necessary. Notice how in the videos he’s a bigger old man and how he gets spine tilt to get a straight swing, very easy exercise he shows in both videos that can be done at home.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

44boyd wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

If your arm is about to fall off, you don’t need a 10 pound tool to learn a straight swing. I’d cut down on the volume of practice, take that extra time to rehab and get in shape. If you have a 4x4 area to slide then start on the carpet and finish on the hardwood or tile, if there’s a will there’s a way. I like the bowling buddy, but not necessary. Notice how in the videos he’s a bigger old man and how he gets spine tilt to get a straight swing, very easy exercise he shows in both videos that can be done at home.
Great points as always.
As Stacy points out, you can improvise on the props you use. I have an aluminum beverage container by Contigo that seems to work. It has a screw on top and a carry handle big enough for 2 fingers, depending on the person.
Stacy's comments are the essence of the quote below.

"Aut inveniam viam aut faciam" (or "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam") is Latin for "I shall either find a way or make one."

The phrase has been attributed to Hannibal; when his generals told him it was impossible to cross the Alps by elephant, this was supposedly his response.

When you practice to fatigue or with injuries or soreness, you stand a serious chance of
introducing bad habits. Plus what ever you practice and repeat, you further entrench in your
brain to body connection.

No artist paints a portrait with a roller.
Get out the small brushes buddy!!!

krava, before I personally will start bowling again, I will retrain myself systematically, much like what Jim has laid down for you. You have got to build the foundation before you put the tv antenna on the roof ...
Last edited by kajmk on October 2nd, 2018, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

I would not practice too long and hard (even drills) until you get the go ahead that you are practicing the right things. Do a little and send Jim the update. He will fix it. then do a little more and give him the update. I would do that until Jim says that it is good so practice it a lot now.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

My reference to Hannibal made me recall the analogy ...

[youtube][/youtube]

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Last edited by krava on October 7th, 2018, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

krava wrote: I don't think I threw 1 ball correctly with a good release. I want that down so bad because I have no idea what my scores would be.

I can't wait to go back and do the practice foul line and 1 step drills again

I gave you two practice drills, all your practice sessions should be about doing only these two drills!
I created this post in order that we could communicate about your progress with the execution of the drills.

It was not created as a diary of your league bowling experiences.

Please post you league experiences elsewhere.
-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

2nd practice session was alot better.

foul line drill back view
[youtube][/youtube]

1 step drill back view
[youtube][/youtube]

camera died before I could take side views and forgot will get that done monday night. I threw 12 shots the same way. I had very good balance and stability in that postion. Going to try to put more right side tilt when doing it tomorrow.

if you look at verity's 1 step drill, she is throwing the ball / not straight she is shooting / at the 10 pin accross the 3rd arrow. If I did that I should get the ball to come closer inward at the end.

foul line side view
[youtube][/youtube]

1 step drill side view
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by krava on October 16th, 2018, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Glad you replaced the video, you are improving in executing this drill.
You do not NEED more right-side tilt!

Yes, you are correct Verity is playing left to right when doing the drill in that video. When your Rev Rate and mechanical efficiency equals hers (400+) you can practice the drill from that angle.

Foul Line Drill Back View
1) In the last analysis, I provided you a slide titled “Hand Position”, which showed you how to position your hand in these two drills. Did you forget already?

2) Slides B & C reflect you forward and back swing…….these are supposed to be a maximum of 12 inches. This is best evaluated from the Side View. But your back swing is definitely too long in this video.

3) From address through your backswing your body remains very steady as it should. But using the black frame of the masking unit as a reference point you can see that during the downswing you dip downward.

4) In slide E you're follow through is way too long. After release the follow-through should be very short, you’re not trying to create ball speed with this drill.

No matter what angle you play the ball won’t be closer to the ankle without further work on your technique.

When practicing incorporate the above changes and spend the majority of your time doing drills.

Swing & Slide Drill Back View
1) Same issue with hand position at address.

2) When you reach the top of swing position in slide H, the slide foot should move forward rapidly as you allow gravity to bring the ball down from the top. I’ll comment more when you provide side video.

3) As for the ball position relative to your ankle in slide I, I’ll address that at a later date.

********************Warning**********************************

I saw your post in the forum “For Nord: Full Roller versus Modern Release Experiment”.

You asked "hopefully, someone that has had similar problems that I have now and fixed might know what can be done or tips to get this fixed".

Really! I’m reached out in an effort to help you with your physical game.
Simply follow my suggestions and stop all the self-evaluations!

If you are going to continue asking the world to solve your problems it’s best that I end our thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

added side view today. Sorry and will stop posting on help anywhere else. I am just frustrated a bit seeing why this is taking me so long to figure out, it seems so simple.

I did forget about the handpostion, I remember you said not to cock your wrist and I fixed that but I forgot that I did tilt my fingers to the 7/8 o colock position and should be in the 6 o clock.

you commented about the 1 step drill about the left foot moving rapidly. I felt that I moved it pretty rapidly when I did the drill, it was like I shot forward in it but might be hard to see in that angle.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

krava wrote:added side view today. Sorry and will stop posting on help anywhere else. I am just frustrated a bit seeing why this is taking me so long to figure out, it seems so simple.
This game is not a simple game and there are no shortcuts to inprovement.

I did forget about the hand postion (that's why you take notes to practice) , I remember you said not to cock your wrist and I fixed that but I forgot that I did tilt my fingers to the 7/8 o colock position and should be in the 6 o clock.

you commented about the 1 step drill about the left foot moving rapidly. I felt that I moved it pretty rapidly when I did the drill, it was like I shot forward in it but might be hard to see in that angle.
The information provided below should help with the foot movement
Foul Line Drill Side View Analysis
Looking much better Dan!

1) Keep in mind as we work on your physical game it’s like assembling a large puzzle…piece by piece and PATIENCE.

2) Your eyes must remain on the initial hand position set at address at all times throughout the drill.

3) Your trail foot appears to be set at around 8 o’clock. It must not exceed 7/7:30, so move it further back to the right.

4) The reason the trail foot position is so important is that I look at the hips as the engine to direction. The trail foot set this far left opens the hips, as you can see in slide E they are pointed far right of your intended line of play.

5) You’ve tamed down your ball placement distance forward (slide B) but in slide C you can see that your backswing exceeds the 12” limit (position in slide C1 should be your goal) .

6) Looking at slide E your follow through is way too long, look at slide E1 for reference.

7) Also, in Slide E you made an effort to make the ball hook by rotating your forearm. Elbow is pointed outwith the hand to the inside.

8) Work on a shorter follow through and think about keeping the inside of the forearm pointed towards the pins.

Swing & Slide Drill Side View Analysis

1) Set-up is good with one exception, point the left arm at an angle towards the foul line (yes I know you haven’t been told this yet, part of the puzzle).

2) Slide B looks good Dan, the upward swing is about the height your left hand should be. (Look at slide B1 for reference)

3) In slide C as the ball moves into the back swing the upper body should be titling more forward. (see slide C1 for reference)

4) At the top of the back swing you need to add more forward tilt.

5) Notice that from slide D to E your down swing is falling as faster than you slide foot is moving forward.

6) Looking at D1 & E1 his ball drops very little as his slide foot has moved forward. The tendency of 90% of the people I have do this drill have the same problem as do you. Everyone feels the need to pull the swing down…….GRAVITY is your best friend allow it to do it’s job.

7) In slide F your slide foot has come to a stop, but look at the ball position relative to the foot.
From this position if you try to turn the hand your forearm will over rotate (sound familiar) and all you can do is create spin. Your forearm actually appears to be in a good position.

8) Also notice how straight your left leg is as a result of the early timing issue.

9) In slide F1 his slide foot has stopped and his ball position is what I classify in a delayed position. This delayed position gives him plenty of time to create a complex release.

When you go to the center to practice….do only these two drills. Until you can proform these two drills correctly combined with repititions you won’t own the process. So a full approach is a waste of time!

Foul Line Drill Suggestions:
1) Move the trail foot further to the right (7 to 7:30 position) Slide foot is at 12 o’clock for reference.

2) Keep your eyes on the initial hand position throughout the execution of this drill!

3) Shorten the backswing to C1

4) Shorten the follow through to E1.

5) The reason for #3 & #4 above ……this drill is not about hitting a target or creating ball speed. Slowly back and through, goal being to roll the ball 2/3 mph.

Swing & Slide Drill suggestions:

1) Lower the left arm in order that it is pointing to the foul line.

2) From slide B to C as the swing moves back increase the forward tilt of the upper body.

3) Looking at slide D1, the angle from your upper body to the arm is much greater then his. This is because you used the shoulder to swing the ball higher, he used the increase in body tilt forward.

4) From the top of your swing, I suggest you actually try to hold the ball up there longer as the slide foot moves forward.

5) Goal is to have the slide foot be stopped with the bowling ball trailing behind. If you can accomplish this you’ll achieve more leverage and there won’t be a need for your system to rotate the forearm.

Work on these suggestions (with a check list) and post new side & back video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

wow that is alot, thanks for all that, I have to reread that alot and print all this out instead of making a few notes because I missed the hand postion on my "cheat sheet".

As for practice, what do you suggest and how often?

For example 1 game foul line drill 2 games 1 step drill every other day. or is it better
3 games foul line drill, 6 games foul line drill twice a week?

my knee is hurting a little which is the first time ever but 24 games a week puts a bit stress on it.

or do you suggest 1 game foul line drill, 1 game 1 step drill? the foul line drill seems a bit easy but that 1 step drill
is definetely alot more work. I haven't read your changes you want to the foul line drill because it is 3am. but the foul line drill changes seem to be minor and can be fixed all on the next practice session.

questions: #1 when doing the 1 step drill, where do I look when the ball is in the backswing? you say keep your eyes on the ball, do you want me to turn my head and watch the ball in the backswing as I move forward etc?

3) Looking at slide D1, the angle from your upper body to the arm is much greater then his. This is because you used the shoulder to swing the ball higher, he used the increase in body tilt forward.

I am a bit confused as you use wording like this a few times. what is meant by "his" his=verity? I don't get that part.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

krava wrote:wow that is alot, thanks for all that, I have to reread that alot and print all this out instead of making a few notes because I missed the hand postion on my "cheat sheet".

As for practice, what do you suggest and how often?
At an hour practice session spend 20 minutes doing the Foul LIne Drill & 40 minutes doing Swing & Slide Drill

For example 1 game foul line drill 2 games 1 step drill every other day. or is it better
3 games foul line drill, 6 games foul line drill twice a week?

my knee is hurting a little which is the first time ever but 24 games a week puts a bit stress on it.
Bowling is recreation.......cut back on the amount of games per week........quality time doing Drills much more important than what you score on a recreational pattern.
or do you suggest 1 game foul line drill, 1 game 1 step drill? the foul line drill seems a bit easy but that 1 step drill
is definitely a lot more work.

The Swing & Slide Drill done properly is your fastest way to improving your physical game

I haven't read your changes you want to the foul line drill because it is 3am. but the foul line drill changes seem to be minor and can be fixed all on the next practice session.

Foul Line Drill is easier because the body is stationary
questions: #1 when doing the 1 step drill, where do I look when the ball is in the backswing?

2) you say keep your eyes on the ball, do you want me to turn my head and watch the ball in the backswing as I move forward etc?
2) In the Foul line Drill keep your eyes set on the initial hand position at set-up and do not move the head position throughout the execution of this drill! Do not look down lane!

I am a bit confused as you use wording like this a few times. what is meant by "his" (the example slide right below yours in D1) I don't get that part.
-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Going to post continuous progress in this window and delete video from day to day until I feel it is good enough for reevaluation

Status ready for reevaluation: NO (close)

Foul line drill:

[youtube][/youtube] backview
[youtube][/youtube] sideview

Status ready for reevaluation: NO

1 step drill
[youtube][/youtube] backview
[youtube][/youtube] sideview

Notes:
#1 Did not realize how high my left hand was even though I lowered it.
#2 Forgot about short follow through until 2nd game.

questions:
#1 in the foul line drill, my ball goes straight and then goes completely horizontal and goes into the gutter past the oil line I guess there was no hand no pull no hook what is that about?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video evidence of practice (I can take this out if you want it out but shows proof of working on it)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1st game foul line drill
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; last few frames foul line drill
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1 step drill 1st game

10/19 practice (didn't have my laptop working, only focused on more foward body tilt when going into the backswing and also trying to get left foot out infront before swing came down.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 2nd and 3rd game 1step drll
Last edited by krava on October 21st, 2018, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

questions:
#1 in the foul line drill, my ball goes straight and then goes completely horizontal and goes into the gutter past the oil line I guess there was no hand no pull no hook what is that about?

probably just the influence of the weight block at that ball speed. NOTHING to worry about!

Swing & Slide side view
1) As you noticed the left arm is still too high, point downward at the foul line.
2) Much improved movement of the body forward.
3) However, your downswing is still coming down WAY TOO fast.
4) In slide C your backswing is completed, but in slide D it has dropped significantly downward and the left foot has barely moved forward.
5) Slide E would be great if your slide was complete, but you are a considerable distance from the foul line and continue sliding forward to your position in Slide F.
6) You will always have a very weak release if you slid through the execution of the release.

Look at the slide labeled "Leverage"
When your slide foot has stopped, your swing should be in the green triangle.
That position is under your center of gravity and as far back as the trailing knee.

It is necessary that after the slide foot has stopped that we have this trailing distance in order to complete a complex release.

When doing the Swing & Slide Drill....literally feel as though you hold the ball at the top of your swing as long as possible.

Edited
The downswing coming down TOO fast drill....without a ball
1) When the swing reaches the top keep it there as you slide forward. No downswing.
2) Do this a dozen times, then do the drill and swing down only after the slide foot has stopped.

-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I didn't have my computer working properly when I was practicing. I didn't see your changes until now. I did kind of figured out that I needed to move my left foot before the swing came down, not at the same time. I am going to post video from the other day but you can ignore that. I will spend the day tomorrow doing that downswing drill alot of times and also video taping each shot and then look at it instead of doing 3 games and then looking. thanks for all the help.

10/21 forgot my camera stand. did about 3 dozen swing and slide drills (not all at the same time). getting better but still pulling the ball sort of to the side for some reason. I did one game of normal practice because of having to bowl monday. leaning down causes me to throw the ball to the right and into the gutter doing a 4 step approach unless i lift my body up before the release. Will go tomorrow and have more practice. atleast I figured out what is making me miss right and that is the forward lean and keeping forward lean too long and after the release. will do a few dozen more swing and slide drills and 1 step.

110/24 practice
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1 step drill no ball
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1 step drill 1 game behind shot
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1 step drill 2 games side view
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1 step drill behind view last 2 games

This wasn't picked as the best particular one because most looked the same. I think it looks correct

[youtube][/youtube] 1 step side view
[youtube][/youtube] 1 step back view

side view shows little slide at the end, I had on h5 heel s10 sliding sole, I could go down on the numbers to stop some slide.