Question regarding student focus during drills.

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Question regarding student focus during drills.

Post by kajmk »

Some students have difficulty or resistance when it comes to focusing on the purpose of drills.

Using the ETT premise as detailed by Onder Gurkan and Juha Maja of the ETBF team, would you advise the bowler roll a straight ball until they consistently successfully execute the drill?

Oct 20 2018 -Correction, I meant to say Onder's 5 to 5 drill which is done to train for ETT, sort of step 1 before more difficult trajectories.
I checked to see if the jpg was available on the forum it's in this link
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two obstacles to success that I see sometimes, is the students preoccupation with the release and a failure to hold (post) their shot at the foul line until the ball falls into the pit.
Holding foul line position gives feedback on balance.

Using a straight ball, the bowler could be instructed to roll the ball straight up the 8 board.
Ideally, that shot would hit the 6 pin dead center (reverse for LHB).
The focal point diagram shows the 6 pin occupying boards 7 through 11.

Richard Schockley uses a piece of white tape on his forearm, near the spot where blood is commonly drawn from. Rich Carruba uses the cue, "Give blood to the pins", both of these to help avoid arm turning.

Including Schockley's video

[youtube][/youtube]

I frequently cite these words by Greg Helms

"
Here are some words of wisdom by forum member Greg Helms
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr

Quote:
Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Don't try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

Last edited by kajmk on October 20th, 2018, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Question regarding student focus during drills.

Post by TonyPR »

I understand what you are saying as both posting a shot (balance at the foul line) and a good powerful release are all consequences of what comes beforehand. If rolling a straight ball would help focus on more important things then yes, it would definitely be a good idea, plus when playing for score rolling a straight ball at single pin spares is very effective as it takes the pattern out of play.

Going back to the causes of a good release and balance at the foul line I agree with what Del Warren said at the 2018 World Bowling Coach Conference, keeping the ball close to one’s center of gravity and substituting the ball side leg with the ball both when the ball is going back towards the backswing and forwards towards the release are some basic and very important characteristics that will definitely improve anybody’s game if they are not doing this. Doing this will put the player in a good leverage position to allow ease of an efficient release and balance to post the shot.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Del is at 45:36
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

"Using the ETT premise as detailed by Onder Gurkan and Juha Maja of the ETBF team, would you advise the bowler roll a straight ball until they consistently successfully execute the drill?"

Which drill? ETT = Everything Towards Target, which basically is body alignment, but not a drill in itself. Drills are usually independent of ball roll, but if you are doing a release drill, you are working on your release to roll the ball the correct way, but with less energy. If I'm working on swing plane alignment, a straight ball is desireable to see where the ball goes without changing direction. Most other drills have some element of the release involved to help reinforce it and to learn release versatility.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

I feel ETT to be homogeneous with what I teach as Body & Swing Alignment to the Line of Play.

The Line of Play being a line defined by an intermediate target (generally located at the arrows) and a Focal Point (a pin or location on a pin down lane).

The body and swing must be aligned at address to the line of play in order that at release the ball can be rolled within a board and a half each side of the line of play.

Improper alignment requires compensations to execute an acceptable shot.

Compensations often lead to inaccuracies.

To better understand the role of drills watching “The Talent Code”, by Daniel Coyle on youtube should
be mandatory.

The premise of “The talent Code” is that learning is broken down into small chunks.

Bowling Drills isolate those small chunks of the physical game of bowling.

In his posts krava, stated that he felt someone of his physical statue wasn’t capable of releasing the ball close to their ankle.

When krava did the Foul Line Drill one of the first things I pointed out to him how close the ball was to his ankle. (a result of correct body/swing alignment)

Now, I didn’t fill his head with any predispositions just the information on how to do the drill correctly.

You are right kajmk far too many athletes are preoccupied with the release.

“So many people become slaves to results instead of Masters of the PROCESS”…….Sean Foley

Getting athletes to look professional in the Foul line Drill is easy, the next natural progression is the
Swing & Slide Drill. Now the body is moving and most of their compensations show up.

The most efficient athlete I have ever seen is Verity Crawley. This young lady is 5’2” and very petite, yet delivers a very powerful ball without any compensations!

Time to end, could go on forever. Let’s all support krava in his journey.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

"Jim wrote The most efficient athlete I have ever seen is Verity Crawley. This young lady is 5’2” and very petite, yet delivers a very powerful ball without any compensations!"

Jim's mantra about simplicity and efficiency is a huge key to do many things in life, including bowling.

In my opinion and gut feeling, many men if not most, could learn more from watching this young lady and other elite women bowlers. Too many men let their egos get it the way.

I needed to make a distinction in my ETT reference, MY ERROR.
A over a year ago Ondar had an article in Bowlers Journal about "The 5 to 5 drill" I had attached it, but it was removed so as not to cause problems. Essentially the bowler it's 5 board at fowl line, at the arrows, at the pins. The article had an illustration.
The 5 to 5 is a way of practicing the ETT principle sort of phase 1.

Yea! 5 to 5 illustration is in this post
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John