Preferred Company: Radical

Layout of the Future

Post by Clueless »

LAYOUT OF THE FUTURE
90 X 2 1/4 X 45
use strong asy., 360-500 surface, stay right

SKID-FLIP ASY. DRILLING - VERY VERSATILE DRILLING
75 X 3 X 25

Since the new USBC standards have been released, there has been much discussion as to what to do.
Several people have stated that the above 2 layouts are the answer. Does this mean that we drill a strong asy. ball using one of the above layouts, with 2" finger holes and deep thumb, adjust the surface and off to the lanes? Do we still need the bowlers info to properly recommend a feasible layout?
I would love to hear from Eric and MegaMav and anyone who understands the dynamics of balls. Or
do we just wait to see what Mo recommends for his Radical equipment? It seems to me that a bowler with speed of 18 mph, 290 rev. rate, and high tilt would never get the ball to transition with those high drilling angles. You can't recommend the earlier layouts for everyone can you? Is surface the key?
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Layout of the Future

Post by MegaMav »

IMO there is no static layout of the future.
Everything is still relative to the bowler's release, and I'll continue to use a SYSTEM to accommodate a customer's needs.
todvan
THS Average: 200

Post by todvan »

I am anxiously waiting to see the new recommended layouts from Radical.

When the system calls for keeping the angles and ratio lower, how do symmetric balls get layed out?
Left Handed, 15 lb
PAP 4.5” up 1/2"
~60* rotation
~17* tilt
~250 RPM
~15 mph off hand
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

todvan wrote:I am anxiously waiting to see the new recommended layouts from Radical.

When the system calls for keeping the angles and ratio lower, how do symmetric balls get layed out?
buy assymmetrical balls if you need small angles or lower ratios.
delbowler
THS Average: 165
Speed: 15-16 launch via Specto
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: ????
Medium Oil Ball: ???
Light Oil Ball: Track Triton
Preferred Company: ???

Post by delbowler »

Turns out Lane Side Reviews already tested the LAYOUT OF THE FUTURE!!!, only without the ridiculously rough surface:

[youtube][/youtube]

From what I know of Mo he'd say drag it across the parking lot if you have to for your "18 mph, 290 rev. rate, and high tilt" guy. Not sure why he likes surface so much, but he does. Might further smooth out a sport shot I guess.
"Just put 3 holes in it, I'll make it work." Pete Weber
bowlingforsoup
Preferred Company: any

Post by bowlingforsoup »

Here are the new layouts asym and sym.I will say I am like megamav use the old system.If I drill anything with as low a val angle as a couple of these layouts i am done.I have a ball with a 20 val and its virtually useless unless I was a Hockey player.I am rev dominant slower speed.Wish Mo still posted here we could see what his reasoning is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
todvan

Post by todvan »

In another low flare thread, Eric suggested that this layout (layout E, total control asym), may not be ideal for someone with higher tilt and rotation.

How would you modify the angles or pin to pap in order to play straighter with a stronger asymm ball for a higher rotation and tilt bowler? Thanks!
Left Handed, 15 lb
PAP 4.5” up 1/2"
~60* rotation
~17* tilt
~250 RPM
~15 mph off hand
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Seems like a conundrum that symms are illegal if they are drilled using balance holes to be more like asymms, yet asymms are still legal.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Bluelobstor
THS Average: 208
Positive Axis Point: 6 1/4 over 0 up or down
Speed: 16.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: AMF XS Technology
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox/AMF XS Technology
Light Oil Ball: Combat Tank
Preferred Company: All

Post by Bluelobstor »

todvan wrote:In another low flare thread, Eric suggested that this layout (layout E, total control asym), may not be ideal for someone with higher tilt and rotation.

How would you modify the angles or pin to pap in order to play straighter with a stronger asymm ball for a higher rotation and tilt bowler? Thanks!
From what I understand higher tilt and rotation is like having extra ball speed. While the layouts given may be good for some I don't see how they could be used by everyone. Not everyone is going to have the same specs so they won't have the same layouts. The layout in question is a control layout so a control layout based on your specs should give similar results.

Has anyone else noticed that some of those val angles exceed the 70 degree limitation that was put in place by Mo?

Jason
PAP 6 1/4 over 0 up or down. Pap figured from the center of the bridge.
Rev Rate ~450
Speed 16.5 off the hand
Axis Tilt 10 Degrees
Axis Rotation 40-50 degrees
1 Hand 2 Finger Delivery
todvan

Post by todvan »

For asymm balls the WIKI says that longer pin to pap distances are used to help burn tilt and rotation.

So maybe this is why the low flare layout is not ideal for higher tilt and rotation bowlers??

My questions still are:

For playing a strong cored asymm ball more straight down the lane, what control layout is best for someone with slightly higher tilt and rotation?

Will the stronger cored asymm ball with a controlled layout provide better carry than a weaker cored ball that is able to play the same straight line up the boards?
Left Handed, 15 lb
PAP 4.5” up 1/2"
~60* rotation
~17* tilt
~250 RPM
~15 mph off hand