Brunswick DOT

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Brunswick DOT

Post by scotts33 »

OK what is it and how does it work? Cracking is a big factor in today's bowling environment.

[youtube][/youtube]
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Brunswick DOT

Post by MegaMav »

It looks like they're switching their manufacturing process to mark the other side of the Low RG axis and switch tolerance from Top Weight to Bottom Weight from the marked pin. I dont have inside information on this process, its just what it appears to be.
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

scotts33 wrote:OK what is it and how does it work? Cracking is a big factor in today's bowling environment.

[youtube][/youtube]
Drilling half way in the pin or to close to the pin causes most of the cracking (along with superglue weakening the cover) they are just now using the other side of the core as the way the stand the core up in the mold. Then they are going 13.5 inches and engraving the Low RG that we will use for the pin.

Now the pin is taken out of play when it comes to the ball cracking. I just hope they engrave this deeper than when they were engraving their CG markings.

Not sure if its a game changer, but I do like they are trying to help the consumer with delivering a more durable product.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Heres from their site.

WHAT'S DIFFERENT?

A truly innovative approach to bowling ball construction, DOT pins the low RG axis on the opposite side of the ball. This removes the weak spot in the drilling area, greatly reducing the possibility for cracking and providing for a wider range of layouts.

The DOT manufacturing process marks the low RG axis with a small circle engraving.

So they just moved the moulding pin to the opposite of the ball and are engraving circle to replace it. Now you dont have to worry about drilling too close to the pin anymore.

Surprised no one thought about doing that before.

Also that cartoon bowler looks to be using a Wi grip! Or he has one really short span lol.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

MeNoRevs wrote:Now the pin is taken out of play when it comes to the ball cracking. I just hope they engrave this deeper than when they were engraving their CG markings.
Their newer balls all have deeper/heavier CG engraving, now that the CG is a moot point of course, go figure...….. :roll:
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

imagonman wrote:
Their newer balls all have deeper/heavier CG engraving, now that the CG is a moot point of course, go figure...….. :roll:
Well, symmetricals still use CG to find where the MB will be, so not completely useless I'd say?
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

JJakobsen wrote: Well, symmetricals still use CG to find where the MB will be, so not completely useless I'd say?
NO. That is not true. The CG has nothing to do with where the PSA will end up in symmetricals.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

JJakobsen wrote: Well, symmetricals still use CG to find where the MB will be, so not completely useless I'd say?
As Mega said The CG has nothing to do with where the PSA will end up after drilling in symmetricals.

It's was just used to locate a virtual PSA on balls without a marked one to draw the reference line when doing some layouts before drilling.

"1-On the ball Draw a reference line from Pin to Mass Bias (If there is no mass bias (MB), you draw a line from the pin through the CG and then make a mark on that line 6 3/4" from the Pin use that as a virtual MB."
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

That is what I intended to say lol. I know there is no PSA pre-drilling, and it will be somewhere else after drilling, depending on the layout.
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

Btw, is this patented by Brunswick? The idea is simple, but great, removes a big source of cracking, but if only Brunswick does it, it limits the use and could increase the confusion for people.
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

[youtube][/youtube]
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

Question : As i recall, there are 3 types of asymmetric balls in relation to the pin :

1.pin asymmetric (most of the mass of the core near the pin)
2.mass neutral ( most of the mass of the core near the center)
3.pin away asymmetric (most of the mass of the core, on the opposite side of the pin).

So if one can only drill on one side of the core (with the DOT mark, to reduce % of damage) , he won't be able to use all types? Say if you wanted to drill a ball of the 1st category, that ball now will have the DOT/new pin, on the opposite side.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

TheJesus wrote:Question : As i recall, there are 3 types of asymmetric balls in relation to the pin :

3.pin away asymmetric (most of the mass of the core, on the opposite side of the pin).

So if one can only drill on one side of the core (with the DOT mark, to reduce % of damage) , he won't be able to use all types? Say if you wanted to drill a ball of the 1st category, that ball now will have the DOT/new pin, on the opposite side.
I dont recognize those right off hand, but Nothing has really changed. All they did was move the pin and replace it with a marker. Nothing else has changed in the ball to prevent you from drilling it anyway you want.

The pin just marked the top of the core now a circle marks it.

Update: If your referring to whats in the video posted by imagoman, The answer is still the same. The pin has just been moved to the bottom of the core (they didn't flip the core over) and now the Dot marks the top of the core (the lowRG) like the pin use too.
Last edited by bowl1820 on October 11th, 2018, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

TheJesus wrote:Question : As i recall, there are 3 types of asymmetric balls in relation to the pin :

I believe this is what you are referring to:
[youtube][/youtube]

…...and I think you are confused on this point. A ball is designed as a system to react a certain way & do what is intended. One cannot redesign /reorient the core by drilling it in an 'inverted' manner. IF that is what you are implying here???? i.e. taking a pin away{#3} drilling it 'upside down' to give one a pin asymm{#1} or vice versa, balls have top wgt. & driiling it inverted would make it illegal w/ excessive bottom weight in the end. Why not just buy a ball designed to do what the manufacturer intended in the 1st place?
delbowler
THS Average: 165
Speed: 15-16 launch via Specto
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: ????
Medium Oil Ball: ???
Light Oil Ball: Track Triton
Preferred Company: ???

Post by delbowler »

EBI pancake plastic balls (not sure about the Scout) already have the physical pin opposite the weight block, so I fail to see any true innovation here.
"Just put 3 holes in it, I'll make it work." Pete Weber
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

delbowler wrote:EBI pancake plastic balls (not sure about the Scout) already have the physical pin opposite the weight block, so I fail to see any true innovation here.
The pin you see in a plastic ball with a pancake weight block is typically just a molding pin and it does not mark the location of the pancake or the low Rg of the ball like it does in other balls with more advanced cores.

So what their doing is new.
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

imagonman wrote:I believe this is what you are referring to:
[youtube][/youtube]

…...and I think you are confused on this point. A ball is designed as a system to react a certain way & do what is intended. One cannot redesign /reorient the core by drilling it in an 'inverted' manner. IF that is what you are implying here???? i.e. taking a pin away{#3} drilling it 'upside down' to give one a pin asymm{#1} or vice versa, balls have top wgt. & driiling it inverted would make it illegal w/ excessive bottom weight in the end. Why not just buy a ball designed to do what the manufacturer intended in the 1st place?
Yes that is the video. But i am not implying that. I am just asking how would someone drill a pin-away asymmetry DOT ball, since now the whole point of DOT is to only drill one one side of the ball. If i was any good in drawing i would draw what i mean.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

TheJesus wrote: Yes that is the video. But i am not implying that. I am just asking how would someone drill a pin-away asymmetry DOT ball, since now the whole point of DOT is to only drill one one side of the ball. If i was any good in drawing i would draw what i mean.
You would drill the dot ball the same way as any other ball, nothng about the balls core has changed.

They just pulled the pin out of the top of the balls core and stuck it in the bottom. Then engraved a dot where the pin use to be.

The point of dot is not to drill only one side of the ball, its to keep you from drilling too close the pin which can cause cracking.

They basically just moved the pin as far away from the normal drilling areas as they could.