USBC ball specifications and the world

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

USBC ball specifications and the world

Post by JimH »

A few month ago the USBC issued new ball drilling specifications and a timetable for implementation.

I have been trying to discover what the other governing bodies in the world are doing. I have not had any success in discovering that anything has been done.

Many bowlers like to travel and compete in other countries. We may see bowlers arriving in a non USBC tournament with a ball that has 3 ounces of finger or side weight. Or a non USBC bowler turn up with a weight hole for a USBC tournament . These bowlers could be disqualified.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: USBC ball specifications and the world

Post by kajmk »

Good question indeed.
Jim have you tried pinging ball companies? Some have staff members who bowl globally.
Stu Williams comes to mind, I believe he's with Roto Grip.
If I see him, I'll excuse myself and ask him if an opportunity comes up. He bowls in a league here. Occasionally I go down to a center and watch the league. If he's not there, I will ask one of his team mates. Sharon Pluhosky's father bowls in the same league.
Just a thought.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Just for fun, I sent your question to
Storm and Ebonite.

I rarely get to the bowling center these days, so I figured I'd give it a try.
Couldn't hurt.

Also, Rod Ross and crew have relationships with ETBA, Ondar Gurkin and Juha Maha
(Apology for spelling errors)

Hope you and yours are well.

John
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

John, I have checked several websites with the following results. My own National Federation (ITBA) has forwarded the query to the World Bowling and is waiting for a reply, It seems the WTBA is still considering the situation. The ETBF (Europe) has not published any regulation. The BTBA (British) website states it uses the USBC specifications, with no reference to the ETBF or WTBA that I could see.

Because the rules are in transition every ball checker should use the current specifications. However the current specifications may not be the same in every countries Bowling regulator on any given date. An officious ball checker can quickly disqualify a ball and a bowler. This has happened before and hopefully it can be prevented in this situation.
hevaga
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 223
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 Right 5/8 Up
Speed: 17 MPH Camera
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Conspiracy
Medium Oil Ball: Squatch
Light Oil Ball: Thrill
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by hevaga »

The Mexican Bowling Federation is awaiting for the WTBA to approve these changes and to publish them in their statutes and rules, if they proceed. Meanwhile, here in Mexico we are still drilling new balls with balance hole… which further on, we will have to plug. It is urgent for the WTBA to decide about publishing these new rules (thinking in having standard rules for all the players around the world.)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Replies from Storm and Ebonite.

Received this reply from Steve Kloempken of STORM

Great questions and ones which are not yet answered. And I’m not sure they ever will be in one particular location as a resource. Often, one has to contact which federation or governing body in question to determine their rules or policies.

And for example, often the KBC, or Korean Bowling Congress, will not make changes or assessments at the same time as other governing bodies such as the Thai Bowling Congress or World Bowling or the PBA.

Thanks,
Steve

This from Mitch Beasley of Ebonite

Usbc said that any using their specs can use the old or new rules but haven’t heard from specific Organizations about if they are going to use something different.

John
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

Excellent question
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;