Acceptable # of balls for THS

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Acceptable # of balls for THS

Post by krava »

what would you consider an acceptable # of balls for a normal THS?

6?
1 benchmark ball, 1 plastic ball
2 ball ups from benchmark ball and 2 ball downs?

or 4
instead of 2 ball ups and 2 ball downs just 1
gunso

Re: Acceptable # of balls for THS

Post by gunso »

as manybas you feel comfortable. I never bring less than 6 bowling balls with me anywhere except practice
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

If you average less than 175 you are allowed to bring two balls to play a THS, over 200 then three balls, tournament with unknown recreational pattern at a bowling center where you haven’t bowled then six maybe, just because Southwest airlines will allow two free pieces of luggage... it’s recreational bowling not sport bowling, throw it out to the friction it will come back...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

TonyPR wrote:If you average less than 175 you are allowed to bring two balls to play a THS, over 200 then three balls, tournament with unknown recreational pattern at a bowling center where you haven’t bowled then six maybe, just because Southwest airlines will allow two free pieces of luggage... it’s recreational bowling not sport bowling, throw it out to the friction it will come back...
Is this an actual rule or just your opinion.

Each bowler should be allowed to bring however many bowling balls required to give them a warm fuzzy. No restriction.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

One of the most popular tournaments in Ireland is the 'Paul Magee Classic'. Every entrant is provided with a polyester ball. The ball will be drilled for the bowler. The ball may not be modified in any way through sanding or polishing or extra holes. It is the only ball that can be used in the competition.

The competitors love the tournament as everyone is equal on the equipment front. It simply comes down to who has the technique and lane reading skills to outbowl the others.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

spmcgivern wrote:
Is this an actual rule or just your opinion.

Each bowler should be allowed to bring however many bowling balls required to give them a warm fuzzy. No restriction.
I am just being sarcastic. The thing is I see way to many people carrying two 3 ball bags to league to play a house shot. They make three ball changes per game and complain about low scores. Ball companies are happy to sell them new balls each season.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I was more on the side of from a coaching perspective. I have brought a 4 ball bag, 3 ball bag and a 2 ball bag and only used 1 regular + 1 spare. When I brought that much, I used only 2 about 80% of the time.

Brought a 4 ball bag and 3 ball bag to nationals and only used 1 regular plus the spare 90% of the time. Scandal ,Plus the track spare + Didn't use the radical guru supreme much maybe a few shots. Lanes so slick nothing else would work.

When I shot 802 (with a missed spare in there), I used a timeless 1st game 299, 2nd game the timeless started going too long or too sharp or I forgot and ended with 224 (missed spare in there), then moved to a hammer hybrid 279. So sometimes you have to change balls. But in league I don't see any reason to really move up more then 1 ball. I can see going down several balls if you want to stay in one place and not move though.
sportcoupe
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by sportcoupe »

I've become comfortable with 3... with the 3rd being a spare ball.

I am notorious for keeping 2 "just in case" balls in the car, however... ya know.... just in case! :P
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

It's all on what you feel comfortable with. Also, some house shots are trickier/moodier than others, so 3 may not cut it. Any more than 5-6 is a bit much, though.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

I could easily go with 3, but I HATE 3-ball rollers and like my 4-ball stacker (wider wheel-base, splits into two sections, more pockets, etc.) so I take 4 (3 plus 1 spare)

Actually, as inconsistent as my house has been, having three has been a saving grace now and again. LOL
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Kidding aside, my beer drinking house shot league plays after the sport youth league I coach at and needless to say when the laneman oils he never cleans twice so a ghost of the WTBA morning pattern remains on some of the lanes, lucky advantage is I know which ones. Besides the medium oil ball, the one that follows to play inside and the spare ball a more aggressive midlane rolling ball can be helpful depending on the pattern that was played in the morning.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

sportcoupe: ever had to use those just in case balls? My just incase balls would be a heavy oil symmetric ball and then almost a urethane (basically Brunswick BTU). Never had to pull the BTU out but did have to use the heavy oil ball twice last year. Lane machine broke spilled oil all the way down the all almost to the pins. Then during the early summer somehow the lanes had 2-3X more oil on it the usual.
sportcoupe
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by sportcoupe »

krava wrote:sportcoupe: ever had to use those just in case balls?
Yep... sure have. Summer league, bowling on a pair on the high end of the house. Lane breaks down 1st frame 2nd game. Breakdown pair: Lanes 9-10... the other side of the house. I needed more surface. Ran out to the car, and grabbed my "just in case" tote. It worked out very well.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Kind of like in case of emergency break glass...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

If you need more than 3 balls on a house shot, including plastic, you need to work on your versatility.
spmcgivern

Post by spmcgivern »

MegaMav wrote:If you need more than 3 balls on a house shot, including plastic, you need to work on your versatility.
Perhaps at your center, but not everyone has the consistency lane-to-lane you may have. Our house can be more than 5 boards difference between the low and high ends of the house. And in a high scoring environment 5 pins can make a big difference. I'll still keep "just in case" balls and since I have 3 ball rollers, that probably means 6 balls instead of 3.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

MegaMav wrote:If you need more than 3 balls on a house shot, including plastic, you need to work on your versatility.
That's the obvious and condescending answer.

However, I think the quality of houses is going down. With the big mergers, a lot of houses are declining in their maintenance of lanes and their efforts toward leagues. Patterns are declining in quality (not the patterns per se, but how much the centers care about laying them down) as is maintenance. Parties are becoming the priority and they don't even know what oil IS, much less care about it being laid down properly.

Even on my independent house, I've had conditions go from very dry where I had to polish EVERYTHING (can't generate the ball speed I used to) to very wet where those polished balls wouldn't turn at all. And no, not just me. When a veteran can go straight down 3 board and take out the 6-10, that's-a-lotta-oil. So. . . one polished, one middle of the road, and one sanded down. (plus the WD)

Give posters a little credit, Mav. I know you're extremely knowledgeable, but give some of us credit as well. :)
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

boomer wrote:However, I think the quality of houses is going down.
Give posters a little credit, Mav. I know you're extremely knowledgeable, but give some of us credit as well.
I will take it a step further.
I think over the past 20 years the quality of the average league bowler has gone down and the quality of the equipment we throw has gone way up. Last I checked averages pretty much have held steady. Buy a ball instead of working on your game is the new mentality, as flawed as it is. There is no substitute for hard work and dedication. The art of the bowler manipulating ball motion will be more important than the balls themselves. Versatility wins, unless you're Eugene McCune on Cheetah.
spmcgivern

Post by spmcgivern »

MegaMav wrote:
I will take it a step further.
I think over the past 20 years the quality of the average league bowler has gone down and the quality of the equipment we throw has gone way up. Last I checked averages pretty much have held steady. Buy a ball instead of working on your game is the new mentality, as flawed as it is. There is no substitute for hard work and dedication. The art of the bowler manipulating ball motion will be more important than the balls themselves. Versatility wins, unless you're Eugene McCune on Cheetah.
It appears you only read the part you quoted.

Talking down to bowlers is not going to bring more people to the sport. Telling people they are inadequate because they want to bring more than 3 balls to league isn't going to bring more people to the sport.

I find it odd someone so hell-bent on "versatility" would require a spare ball on the oh-too-easy house shot. Put that spare ball away and learn to flatten the ball.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

spmcgivern wrote:
It appears you only read the part you quoted.

Talking down to bowlers is not going to bring more people to the sport. Telling people they are inadequate because they want to bring more than 3 balls to league isn't going to bring more people to the sport.

I find it odd someone so hell-bent on "versatility" would require a spare ball on the oh-too-easy house shot. Put that spare ball away and learn to flatten the ball.
Im not talking down to anybody, im giving you what my observations are and it seems you dont like it.
Too bad! Its reality!