Where do you really want the top weight?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Where do you really want the top weight?

Post by EricHartwell »

I have thoughts and opinions.
Never rolled a ball with more than 1 oz imbalance, side to side, finger to thumb. I have worked with top and bottom and If you can get a ball with 3 oz top weight after drilling the reaction through the pins is DEFINITELY noticeable. Yes I am speaking about the Motion hole.

I am fully aware the Asymmetry of the void on the bottom of the ball has alot to do with the reaction.
I am seriously considering drilling a ball with a 7 1/2" deep thumb hole. I like my Motion holed equipment. For something like this I wouldn't need 5-6 oz. But with a grip drilled with standard depth to end up with the 3 oz limit more extremes in top weight could be utilized.
Will there be a market for balls with extreme top weights 5-6 oz?

Again I am still thinking about having the "top weight" on the axis as it is getting into a roll. This is to achieve the mechanical aid that the Motion Hole layout has as the ball is driving through the pins.

There is a correlation to the "drilling angle" based on speed and revolutions to get the top weight to be near the axis when the ball gets into a roll. You have to manage the track flare to time it correctly.

Without the use of balance holes I think this is the best we are going to get.
I'm going to miss balance holes.

Low flare layouts will favor the Cg to be "kicked out" to the side.

High flare layouts the Cg will be closer to the grip or even on the negative side for the rev dominant.

Accurate assessment of ones release is even more critical if you want to maximize any affect that Cg placement has to offer.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Re: Where do you really want the top weight?

Post by J_w73 »

When I did some experiments with Blueprint, I noticed a ball with a 3 oz top weight (with no weight hole) had a similar motion (hook and increased entry angle) to a ball with a motion hole. The top weight had more of an effect if the ball flared in a way so that the 3 oz of top weight ended up on the side of the ball when the ball was at the back part of the lane.

I know Mo stated that the MOtion hole provided gyroscopic effect as the ball went through the pins and this is what made the MOtion hole special.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I have done a Motion holed ball that I pushed the statics to 3 oz and the angle through the pins was Ridiculous and it wasn't the Radical Ridiculous, it was a Brunswick Edge. On flush pocket hits the ball was finishing left of the 8 pin. I had to plug and redrill it smaller. You can get to a point where the affect can be too much.
I would be very wary pushing the 3 oz limit.
Unfortunately without the use of balance holes there will be no way to tune this reaction.

I may do some experiments with some of the balls I have (8) that have balance holes to be plugged.
I may just plug all the holes and get stupid with side (negative and positive), thumb and finger weights.
I hope I can get noticeable lope and undesirable ball motion just so I can post video to show how stupid the new rules are. I may get a hold of an 11 or 12 pound ball with a core and decent top weight. I expect disastrous results, I am hoping it will bounce like an unbalanced tire on a car.
One way or another I have a bunch of money I have to spend to stay compliant to the #u<|<!n@ new rules.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

I think that was the point about drilling a 7 inch thumb hole.. to create similar dynamics to the motion hope. .. Maybe no need for the actual balance hole motion hole
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+