Balance arm.

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Balance arm.

Post by ballspoint »

Why is the balance arm coached being forward? Whats the purpose of this?
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Balance arm.

Post by elgavachon »

ballspoint wrote:Why is the balance arm coached being forward? Whats the purpose of this?
Try throwing a baseball without using your body. just stand in one spot square shouldered and throw it with your throwing arm only.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Balance arm forward thumb pointed downward.
1) I first saw this move made by Chris Barnes decades again.
2) As with many things happen in the coaching world, if it’s good for Chris Barnes then coaches should teach everyone to do it. :D
3) So, when I saw Chris doing this I needed a better understanding of what effect this had on his physical game.
4) After exhausting youtube with no success, the answer came from a physical therapist.
5) Extension of the arm forward with the thumb pointed downward puts the shoulder in the close-pack position.
5) The PT explained to me that this position puts the tendons and muscles of the shoulder in contraction. Thus, creating tension in that shoulder.
6) In most throwing sports the opposite arm and shoulder has an effect on the efficiency of the delivery.
7) We see this in the tennis serve, throwing a football and baseball and in delivering a bowling ball.
8) These motions are most efficient when the shoulders work vertically during execution.
9) In the first three sports mentioned above (overhand delivery) the throwing shoulder works up and over as the opposite shoulder moves downward.
10) In bowling (underhand delivery) the throwing shoulder should move downward and under as the opposite shoulder moves upward.
11) When the shoulders rotate horizontally during execution efficiency is lost.
12) Since, this is a bowling forum I will no direct my attention back to the physical game of bowling.
13) Often, I see bowlers rotate the shoulders horizontally during the downswing. This move typically positions the ball too far away from the ankle and outside the head at release. Inefficient!!!
14) Compensation with the arm/hand are then usually required to get the ball to the intended target.

Tension in the opposite shoulder aids in efficient transference of energy by the throwing hand to the object.

Just my 2 cents.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

JMerrell wrote:Balance arm forward thumb pointed downward.
1) I first saw this move made by Chris Barnes decades again.
2) As with many things happen in the coaching world, if it’s good for Chris Barnes then coaches should teach everyone to do it. :D
3) So, when I saw Chris doing this I needed a better understanding of what effect this had on his physical game.
4) After exhausting youtube with no success, the answer came from a physical therapist.
5) Extension of the arm forward with the thumb pointed downward puts the shoulder in the close-pack position.
5) The PT explained to me that this position puts the tendons and muscles of the shoulder in contraction. Thus, creating tension in that shoulder.
6) In most throwing sports the opposite arm and shoulder has an effect on the efficiency of the delivery.
7) We see this in the tennis serve, throwing a football and baseball and in delivering a bowling ball.
8) These motions are most efficient when the shoulders work vertically during execution.
9) In the first three sports mentioned above (overhand delivery) the throwing shoulder works up and over as the opposite shoulder moves downward.
10) In bowling (underhand delivery) the throwing shoulder should move downward and under as the opposite shoulder moves upward.
11) When the shoulders rotate horizontally during execution efficiency is lost.
12) Since, this is a bowling forum I will no direct my attention back to the physical game of bowling.
13) Often, I see bowlers rotate the shoulders horizontally during the downswing. This move typically positions the ball too far away from the ankle and outside the head at release. Inefficient!!!
14) Compensation with the arm/hand are then usually required to get the ball to the intended target.

Tension in the opposite shoulder aids in efficient transference of energy by the throwing hand to the object.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you, more than 2 cents worth :) great explanation for my question. M
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

Years before i got proper coaching, my balance arm was like when your walking/marching, in time with your steps. That was coached out to balance arm out to the side, now coach say put it out front.
My balance arm is a bit like A J Tacket, his balance arm goes slightly back as the ball goes forward, then as the ball is in the back swing, balance arm is forward, that to me his all about the balance arm doing its job. Is it really necessary for the balance arm to go forward at all? Not just to the side. Is there a specific purpose for the balance arm forward? Besides balance of course.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Right handed bowler:
The scoring environment more than ever before requires playing the lane left to right. In days gone by of rubber and plastic balls straight worked in that environment. Therefore, we were taught to point are non-bowling arm straight out to the left and keep our shoulders parallel to the foul line. This kept our shoulders parallel to the foul line and coupled with a straight arm swing equated to accuracy.
I have seen many bowlers with their shoulders parallel with the foul line but left arm point towards the pins. This a lack of understanding of biomechanical efficiency in todays scoring environment. It’s not about the left arm being out in front, it’s getting the left shoulder out in front and lower than the right shoulder. See the photo of Michael Fagan.
So, if you can rotate your torso with the left shoulder lower than the right but point your arm put to the side go for it. But from that position I think you’ll find it too easy for the left shoulder to move back too soon resulting in the right shoulder moving ahead of the left shoulder resulting in pulled shots.
Michael’s left arm hanging vertically makes it easier to achieve a higher back swing position. Higher back swing more ball speed potential which in turn equals higher rev rate potential.
Mechanical efficiency requires that the left shoulder move forward and down as the right shoulder moves back and up. On the down swing the roles reverse as the left shoulder moves up as the right shoulder moves down and under. Goal being to maintain a head and ball position throughout the approach and release.

1) The left side offsets what is happening with the bowling side of the body.

From the top of the swing three things happen simultaneously:
1) Gravity starts to pull the ball down
2) The sliding foot moves forward
3) The non-bowling shoulder starts to square up to the line of play.

The black & white photo is Sam Coleman, one of the greatest ever during his era from my area of the world. So it's pretty safe to say his finish position is exactly what is desirable today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

JMerrell wrote:Right handed bowler:
The scoring environment more than ever before requires playing the lane left to right. In days gone by of rubber and plastic balls straight worked in that environment. Therefore, we were taught to point are non-bowling arm straight out to the left and keep our shoulders parallel to the foul line. This kept our shoulders parallel to the foul line and coupled with a straight arm swing equated to accuracy.
I have seen many bowlers with their shoulders parallel with the foul line but left arm point towards the pins. This a lack of understanding of biomechanical efficiency in todays scoring environment. It’s not about the left arm being out in front, it’s getting the left shoulder out in front and lower than the right shoulder. See the photo of Michael Fagan.
So, if you can rotate your torso with the left shoulder lower than the right but point your arm put to the side go for it. But from that position I think you’ll find it too easy for the left shoulder to move back too soon resulting in the right shoulder moving ahead of the left shoulder resulting in pulled shots.
Michael’s left arm hanging vertically makes it easier to achieve a higher back swing position. Higher back swing more ball speed potential which in turn equals higher rev rate potential.
Mechanical efficiency requires that the left shoulder move forward and down as the right shoulder moves back and up. On the down swing the roles reverse as the left shoulder moves up as the right shoulder moves down and under. Goal being to maintain a head and ball position throughout the approach and release.

1) The left side offsets what is happening with the bowling side of the body.

From the top of the swing three things happen simultaneously:
1) Gravity starts to pull the ball down
2) The sliding foot moves forward
3) The non-bowling shoulder starts to square up to the line of play.

The black & white photo is Sam Coleman, one of the greatest ever during his era from my area of the world. So it's pretty safe to say his finish position is exactly what is desirable today.
Would just like to say, your replies are so informative and helpful. Thank you.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

As always, thanks so much for "Playing real good, for free"

Over the years, I've tried to read as much on this sport as I could lay my hands on.
Used to do that with a few other sports too.
I've perhaps 20-30 books, two iterations of USBC coaches manuals through and including Silver. HARD copies of Bowling This Month and other periodicals. Read these out of curiosity, I knew I was most likely not going to coach, as I lacked the natural eye.
I can honestly say, I would trade most of it just to watch and listen to Jim instruct bowler's.

Play on Maestro
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

kajmk wrote: I can honestly say, I would trade most of it just to watch and listen to Jim instruct bowler's.
Perhaps a video manual is in the future for Jim.
Hes always on the cutting edge and the "video word" is popular these days.
You do a great job for us and the sport of bowling Jim, many thanks to make up for those who havent.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Jim is a great coach and also a great teacher. As passionate as they get! Hope you’re around for a long time Jim, like Dr Spock said “live long and prosper”.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent