Bowling w/Tennis Elbow Injury - PRP injection

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

G8RPAUL42

Bowling w/Tennis Elbow Injury - PRP injection

Post by G8RPAUL42 »

Anybody elected for the injection in the elbow? I've been battling losing strength in my throwing arm for over a year now. Ive tried long rest, had cortisone injection, physical therapy 2x a week for months, worn braces in my every day life....basically I've tried it all that's been recommended by my ortho. His last line of defense is the PRP injection which isn't covered by insurance.

I'm scheduled for the procedure this week. Anybody had it for bowling or other injuries and can share success stories or any other info? It sucks being a righty and being significantly stronger in my left arm. To me if I can see 30% improvement it's worth this huge outlay of money.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Re: Bowling w/Tennis Elbow Injury - PRP injection

Post by Viper »

G8RPAUL42 wrote:Anybody elected for the injection in the elbow? I've been battling losing strength in my throwing arm for over a year now. Ive tried long rest, had cortisone injection, physical therapy 2x a week for months, worn braces in my every day life....basically I've tried it all that's been recommended by my ortho. His last line of defense is the PRP injection which isn't covered by insurance.

I'm scheduled for the procedure this week. Anybody had it for bowling or other injuries and can share success stories or any other info? It sucks being a righty and being significantly stronger in my left arm. To me if I can see 30% improvement it's worth this huge outlay of money.
In a word, no.

Responding because I would love to know what the results are for you. I'm having a problem with my elbow. I've gone through much of what you have (less the cortisone injections), and now bowl only once a week (vs. three). Also, I'm now throwing 13 lbs (dropping from 15).

I wish you luck.

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
Nord
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Post by Nord »

A guy at my work had the Platelet-rich plasma injections into his Achilles tendon which was in severe pain from too much basketball playing.
He had to have his ankle in a cast during the regeneration process but the pain went away and he was able to play basketball again, but to a lesser intensity.

I have a bad tendon in my bowling arm and I find the key for both my arm and shoulder has been weight lifting.
Do intense weight training at least once a week on those muscles and build them up.
Once you start putting some good mass on, then the stress level of bowling goes away, or is reduced.
You basically have to get your muscles to grow so the supporting tendons and bones will also be stimulated to adapt and get stronger to support the new muscle size.

Also, loss of strength in a muscle can also be caused by over training, meaning that if you bowl too much, then the muscles used will always be under stress and have no time to recover and adapt.
So they will weaken over time.
Taking a week off from bowling and hitting the arm and shoulder with weights regularly can build your strength back up.
Full Roller
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 145
Ball speed: 13 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 269 bowled with Pitch Black.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.
G8RPAUL42

Post by G8RPAUL42 »

Just left the Dr. 1st review is the post-injection feeling is much more painful for me than cortisone. Fingers crossed. I know besides bowling another activity that shortens tendons is heavy computer/mouse use which I am also guilty of.
Nord

Post by Nord »

G8RPAUL42 wrote:Just left the Dr. 1st review is the post-injection feeling is much more painful for me than cortisone. Fingers crossed. I know besides bowling another activity that shortens tendons is heavy computer/mouse use which I am also guilty of.
I switched to using my left arm for mousing and it made a huge difference.
If you are susceptible to tendonitis like I am, then the less repetitive stress you can put on your bowling arm the better.
Take some time off from bowling and let the injections have time to work.
Once the course of treatment is over, then begin weight training exercises for your biceps, triceps, wrist and shoulder.
Take a couple of weeks to put some mass on that arm.
Hellboy it!
Then when it looks and feels very strong and solid with no pain, start slowly getting back into bowling.
Only 3 to 5 games a week, don't over do it.
Keep up the weight training at least twice a week, 3-5 sets of 10 per muscle group.
Hope it works for you, if it does I may do it too.
Keep us updated.

Oh, I also found hot compresses to be very helpful with reducing tendonitis pain.
I take a washcloth and after I wash my face I fold it up and saturate it with real hot water and put it on my arm and hold it there till it loses it hotness. I repeat this three times and do it in the morning when I wake up and the evening before bed and especially after finishing a bowling session.
Really helps me a lot.
Full Roller
G8RPAUL42

Post by G8RPAUL42 »

Ok first night of fall league. Had only bowled a few times all summer. I took alot of time off after state tournament in June. Anyway shot 718 and bowled just about pain free all night. This is 3 weeks post PRP injection. For reference I'm about a 220 house shot avg bowler. I'm always happy with a 700+. More important than score is lack of pain and better stamina. Ball speed is back with even a smooth toss. I'm a PRP believer so far.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

G8RPAUL42 wrote:Ok first night of fall league. Had only bowled a few times all summer. I took alot of time off after state tournament in June. Anyway shot 718 and bowled just about pain free all night. This is 3 weeks post PRP injection. For reference I'm about a 220 house shot avg bowler. I'm always happy with a 700+. More important than score is lack of pain and better stamina. Ball speed is back with even a smooth toss. I'm a PRP believer so far.
Good news. Continued success. Hope you can rebuild the injured parts and improve your overall fitness and avoid future injuries.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Nord

Post by Nord »

G8RPAUL42 wrote:Ok first night of fall league. Had only bowled a few times all summer. I took alot of time off after state tournament in June. Anyway shot 718 and bowled just about pain free all night. This is 3 weeks post PRP injection. For reference I'm about a 220 house shot avg bowler. I'm always happy with a 700+. More important than score is lack of pain and better stamina. Ball speed is back with even a smooth toss. I'm a PRP believer so far.
Super great news!
Now take it easy, don't over do it or re-injury could occur.
A little bit a week to prevent repetitive stress.
Work with weights to strengthen the muscles and tendons.
I think I may consider this procedure as well.
Good bowling!
Full Roller
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Nice job!

Only point - you're NOT supposed to start league with a 700!!! LOL "Inverse sandbagging"
G8RPAUL42

Post by G8RPAUL42 »

Its a scratch league so sandbagging not required.