Ball Weight

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

ihasaball

Ball Weight

Post by ihasaball »

I'm coming back from more than a year off due to multiple back and neck surgeries. I've never been an avid or skilled bowler, and I'd guesstimate my average at around 90. I typically prefer disc golf, and I have an amateur national champinionship title under my belt in that arena. But July and August temperatures in Texas drive me indoors, so I'm back at it in the bowling center lately.

I started back last week using my 8 pound ball and I had over control issues, lifting it left. My ball speeds were 18 to 19 miles per hour. I can't follow through like I used to, so I also struggled with technique, but I think that's a side issue I can solve with practice. This week, I tried my twelve pound ball, and it seemed OKish for the first game or two, with speeds of 15 to 16 mph. By the third game, I was really struggling to hold onto the ball. It kept slipping out early and my ball speed was down around 13 to 14 mph. BTW, I own plastic, urethane, and reactive resin balls in multiple weights, but I'm just sticking to plastic until I get my average up above 150, which may never happen.

At this point, I'm thinking about getting a 10 or 11 pound plastic ball. Maybe both. But if I were to get just one of these, which one seems most promising based on what I've told you so far? Thanks for all advice.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Ball Weight

Post by JMerrell »

How did the lessons go with Willie?
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
ihasaball

Post by ihasaball »

I guess I misunderstood what he was offering. He basically gave me one free lesson where he made me more aware of my follow through and being more consistent with it. He was clearly too busy in the shop to be giving lessons.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

ihasaball wrote:This week, I tried my twelve pound ball, and it seemed OKish for the first game or two, with speeds of 15 to 16 mph. By the third game, I was really struggling to hold onto the ball.
If you're an physically healthy individual with no limitations due to injury, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to hold use a 12 lbs ball for 3 games. The ball should basically hold on to you. It sounds like a bad grip, leading to excess grip pressure, leading to fatigue.

Are you throwing a fingertip or conventional grip? When's the last time you had your grip checked?
James Talley
ihasaball

Post by ihasaball »

Arkansas wrote:
If you're an physically healthy individual with no limitations due to injury, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to hold use a 12 lbs ball for 3 games. The ball should basically hold on to you. It sounds like a bad grip, leading to excess grip pressure, leading to fatigue.

Are you throwing a fingertip or conventional grip? When's the last time you had your grip checked?
Thanks for the response. I do have neck and spine injuries. Most recently I had 3 cervical discs (4 vertebra) fused at the end of last year. Earlier last year, I had a laminectomy (vertebral bone removal) at the junction between my back and neck. Before that, lower back discectomy. All this time laid up has led to a lot of weight gain and poor strength/stamina. Add to that I'm basically an old lady and I think you can see the problem. Based on ball speeds exhibited at the weights above, would I be more likely to get into the 16-18 mph range with a 10 or 11 pound ball? I'm leaning towards the 10 pound ball right now. Thanks again.
ihasaball

Post by ihasaball »

I tried a 10 pound plastic lane ball tonight and my speed was 15.5 to 16.5 mph. I expected more. I'm aiming for 18 mph. My 8 pound ball goes 19 mph when I roll it. Maybe I should try a 9 pound ball?

I did get one of my highest scoring games ever, but it was only a 157. I've also had new ball syndrome before, so I'm not expecting repeatability.