New Bowler having problemS

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sky9984

New Bowler having problemS

Post by Sky9984 »

Hey guys,

I apologize in hand if i'm posting this in the wrong section of the forum.

I started bowling about 3 months ago and I decided to purchase a ball for myself. I used a 12 pound house ball and purchased a 14 pound because I've read that you should get 1 or 2 pounds heavier if you purchase your own and get it drilled (conventional).

The problem I'm having is that I started hooking (using only 2 fingers), After I bowl my ring finger gets swollen and having joint pain. Is it because the ball is too heavy for me? or is it because I'm hooking without fingertip grip.

Thanks in advance.
GrumpyCatFace
Preferred Company: Pyramid

Re: New Bowler having problemS

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

I wouldn’t try to hook a ball with a conventional grip, in the first place. Too much of your finger is in there, to rotate it without twisting your knuckles.

It can be done, with a “suitcase” grip, but that’s not going to get you the best results.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to the forum sky.
Several of the forums would be appropriate. Read the forum descriptions for guidelines.

As for your problem, there are a number of possibilities.
Technique, grip, physical challenges.

Questions : Number of games bowled in succession, whether alone or with others ... ???

You should not have pain or swelling.
Many new bowler's will apply too much grip pressure and too much muscle.
Being a new bowler, you are in an excellent position to learn efficient and productive methods. The best way is to invest in some one on one coaching. Find out about instructors your area.
Before driving a car, one needs to get lessons, bowling is the same.

First you need to rest and recover.

I hope you bought the ball at a Pro Shop, most preferably IBPSIA certified.
At the shop, I would have expected the pro to ask you about your experience and perceived needs. Treat the pro shop like any other place where you go for expert advice.
I would have expected, the pro have you roll a few shots at the shop.
At that point the pro would look for red flags in technique, such as hitting up on the ball, excessive grip pressure, excessive use of muscle.

First, learn how to roll the ball straight and be able to hit every pin, know what boards they are on.
Greg mentions the term PAP, you can read about that on the wiki.
The main point is learning to roll it straight is a precursor to hooking.
Straighter is greater for every simple spare where power is not needed!

"
Here are some words of wisdom by forum member Greg Helms
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr

Quote:
Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Dont try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

USBC Silver Certified Coach
Brunswick Pro Staff
*The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer and not of Brunswick Bowling & Billiards Corporation"
"

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Sky9984 wrote:Hey guys,

I apologize in hand if i'm posting this in the wrong section of the forum.

I started bowling about 3 months ago and I decided to purchase a ball for myself. I used a 12 pound house ball and purchased a 14 pound because I've read that you should get 1 or 2 pounds heavier if you purchase your own and get it drilled (conventional).

The problem I'm having is that I started hooking (using only 2 fingers), After I bowl my ring finger gets swollen and having joint pain. Is it because the ball is too heavy for me? or is it because I'm hooking without fingertip grip.

Thanks in advance.
There could be a substantial difference in the pitches of a conventional grip depending on whether the bowler is going to use all three holes or just two as in the case of a no thumb bowler.

Pitches are the angles the holes are drilled at to provide more, or less, gripping power. If the pitches are incorrect for your style, the direct result will be discomfort. Get it checked out before any more issues develop.
Sky9984

Post by Sky9984 »

Thank you guys, I appreciate the suggestions.

I think I will change to a fingertip grip, Is it possible to change the conventional to fingertip or do I have to drill new holes?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Sky9984 wrote:Thank you guys, I appreciate the suggestions.

I think I will change to a fingertip grip, Is it possible to change the conventional to fingertip or do I have to drill new holes?
Sky, in my opinion, the best advice is for you to go back to the pro shop and discuss.

Most of not all bowlers regardless of experience need to practice solid fundamentals.
Of course in a world of billions of people, there are always exceptions.
I remember Norm Duke answering the question, "Norm, what do you practice?, he replied, "Fundamentals of course."
Parker Bohn III told me that if he missed more than 1 single pin spare in a 56 game tournament, he knew he needed to work on his spare shooting.

Hooking the ball is indeed intoxicating, but you must be able to roll the ball on an intended line and be able to repeat it within reason.

Just like any injury, rest and recover and seek professional help in person.

A lot of good stuff in the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13166&p=101944&hili ... on#p101944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John