USBC Open Championships 2018

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

USBC Open Championships 2018

Post by magicmike »

Did a couple searches and really didn't uncover anything, I can't imagine no one on here isn't going or have gone to Syracuse this year. Also didn't see Mo video this year either (we got spoiled last year!).

I'm heading out next week and bowling the 23rd and 24th, looking forward to it as it's always a bit of a challenge and fun to go across the country with my buddies.

Anyone have any feedback, be it on lane play, or extra curricular in the area?

I'll have a full write up after I get back from bowling.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: USBC Open Championships 2018

Post by MegaMav »

magicmike wrote:Did a couple searches and really didn't uncover anything, I can't imagine no one on here isn't going or have gone to Syracuse this year. Also didn't see Mo video this year either (we got spoiled last year!).

I'm heading out next week and bowling the 23rd and 24th, looking forward to it as it's always a bit of a challenge and fun to go across the country with my buddies.

Anyone have any feedback, be it on lane play, or extra curricular in the area?

I'll have a full write up after I get back from bowling.

I've seen a lot of success in team from the softly thrown ball, up the boards around 5 with some surface that doesnt change direction too fast. Singles and doubles apparently is significantly tighter.
Intel would be a good ball for team event if everyone can buy into playing the pattern from the right.
Good luck with that.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

MegaMav wrote:

I've seen a lot of success in team from the softly thrown ball, up the boards around 5 with some surface that doesnt change direction too fast. Singles and doubles apparently is significantly tighter.
Intel would be a good ball for team event if everyone can buy into playing the pattern from the right.
Good luck with that.
I don't know the routine insofar as your practice time, how many shots etc.
The video posted on General forum with Warren and Stoughton discusses how their team analyzes a lane when they have no pattern info. Important, they work as a UNIT and have a fact finding plan.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even if you know the pattern, a lanes idiosyncrasies can belie the charts.
Go in with an open mind and no assumptions.

Hope you bowl as best you can.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

MegaMav wrote:

Good luck with that.
I bowled, so I’ll do what I can. I shot a dissapointing 1835 - poor spare shooting (and a gutter on a string where I lost the ball off my thumb) cost me an embarrassing number of pins.

Team:

The team pattern HOOKS. Playing up 5 was tough, our pair abandoned it early and started in the middle of the lane. Our two teams also didn’t score particularly well in team, which is isn’t common (two eagle winners and others with top 10 finishes). In hindsight, I agree with Eric, we probably needed to start up 5. THAT SAID, it’s easier said than done, they really do hook a lot. The entire group has to be not only committed to starting on that line, but also skilled at reducing axis rotation (unless they are very low rev or speed dominant). Getting 10 guys that fit those criteria is a tall order.

Personally, I started around 20 with my feet out to 6-7 with a 1000 grit, control layout Hammer Gauntlet. The surface helped control the angle off the spot. In hindsight, I wished I had brought a weaker ball with surface to start team. The weakest I had was a Storm Drive - unfortunately, that’s what happens when you bowl the tournament in the first week. When I got too far left to carry with an 1000 grit Gauntlet, I balled down to an OOB control layout Soniq for the rest of the set. Finished with 570+.

D/S:

There’s a lot of reports that the D/S pattern is long. I don’t believe that to be true. I read them as 41-42’ but heavy. The heavier handed guys in my group were able to start up 5 with strong, sanded equipment, but the lower rev guys struggled to get anything back from out there and had to start a little inside of that. Naturally, this pattern opened up nicely for us and we generally shot well. Playing the lanes correctly as a group is half the battle. The teams that I watched struggle here struggled because made the heavy pattern play longer by not using enough surface.

I started with an 1000 grit midlane layout Mastermind, but struggled with my footwork early, got punished with multiple splits on misses left and started with a 140 game. Tried the Gauntlet too towards the end of game 1 and beginning of 2 and found nothing. As the group started moving in, I joined, balled down to a No Rules Pearl @ 2000 and saved a 190 game for game 2 before going off for a 280 in game 3 to save my doubles set. (620+). From there it was relatively easy, we were just chasing it left. When the NRP started leaving weak 10s, I went to the Soniq again. Three consistent games for a 630+ series.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12