Help Nord Score On House Shots

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

djp1080
THS Average: 185
Heavy Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Dark Legend, Wreck-IT
Medium Oil Ball: Hy-Road, IQ Tour 30, Reign On, Byte, Code Black
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Help Nord Score On House Shots

Post by djp1080 »

Nord,
I watched Joe Willman in that match.
When I came back to bowling about 8 years ago, I did much of what Joe was doing.
I'm not sure he was using a suitcase release, but I saw that his hand was upside down at the top of his backswing from what most bowlers do today. He turned his hand inward toward his body as soon as he pushed the ball out a bit.
I don't think you do any of the stuff he's doing during his match in that video, Nord; nor do I think you should try to do what he's doing with today's surfaces and today's balls.
Good luck though!
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

So we've regressed to the point of watching videos of matches from the 50's. Congratulations Nord! You've succeeded in creating the dumbest, most irrelevant thread ever, and look at everyone that keeps chiming in... on one side ore the other. Ridiculous!
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

RobMautner wrote:So we've regressed to the point of watching videos of matches from the 50's. Congratulations Nord! You've succeeded in creating the dumbest, most irrelevant thread ever, and look at everyone that keeps chiming in... on one side ore the other. Ridiculous!
I hope you get banned. Don't need people like you on here.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

RobMautner wrote:So we've regressed to the point of watching videos of matches from the 50's. Congratulations Nord! You've succeeded in creating the dumbest, most irrelevant thread ever, and look at everyone that keeps chiming in... on one side ore the other. Ridiculous!
20 pages and counting! The Nord saga lives on, who would have thought.

Inadvertently, maybe you touched on what makes this thread so popular. It hasn't been all one sided.....for a change.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

There are more Nords than there are Jason Belmontes or (insert pro bowler name).
Nord story is more real than than most. He is trying to get better and is taking advice to do so.
I commend his efforts and will keep reading as the Nord saga continues.

I partnered with a 76 year old bowler this past year, we both roll 13 pound equipment and we managed to place 1st in a 3 month long doubles house shot tournament. He has physical limitations even more so than myself and Nord (2 shoulder surgeries). We both shot 100 pins over our average and managed to finish in 1st place. Speed and revs he is very much like Nord, his saving grace is 20* of tilt. His sweetspot is 15 at the arrows and 8,9,10 at the breakpoint.

Low speed and revs is not the end of the world. You just need to find that right spot on the lanes to play. When you find it, all bets are off, especially when it it is a handicap event.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
seventen7ten
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 3.5" Right 1" Up
Axis Tilt: 36
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Alpha Crux
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tribal & Brunswick Axis
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by seventen7ten »

What do I want?
1. A style of bowling that is non-strain on my body, requires little effort, is repeatable and provides consistency and reliability. Something I can easily do until I am 100.
2. A style of bowling that promotes good ball action that results in higher scoring with less effort and greater margin for error so misses are not the end of the world.
3. A style of bowling that does not require me to hit one board consistently time and time again in order to score effectively.
I am also trying to put less stress on my body. I never developed a slide, and it has put a lot of strain on my hip and knee. I will be focused on changing this in the off-season and wondered if this might help you in the long run. You might also work on your balance. As I have aged, I need to work on this more than ever. Bowl good!
Nord
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Post by Nord »

First off, thank you to all of you that still have faith in me and my desire to improve.
Obviously MegMav still has faith in me and has not banned me as RobMautner & MeNoRevs seem to hope will happen.
MegaMav sent me a ball for free.
I received that ball today and here are some pics of it.

I am actually surprised that MegaMav's span looks like it is the same as mine if I had a fingertip grip.

BTW, I have a swing trainer and I am practicing at home with the extended follow through and left arm out to the side with thumb down.
Makes me feel like a modern bowler.
So even if it does not improve anything, at least I will look cool making my approach. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Full Roller
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 145
Ball speed: 13 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 269 bowled with Pitch Black.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by MeNoRevs »

Nord wrote:First off, thank you to all of you that still have faith in me and my desire to improve.
Obviously MegMav still has faith in me and has not banned me as RobMautner & MeNoRevs seem to hope will happen.
MegaMav sent me a ball for free.
I received that ball today and here are some pics of it.

I am actually surprised that MegaMav's span looks like it is the same as mine if I had a fingertip grip.

BTW, I have a swing trainer and I am practicing at home with the extended follow through and left arm out to the side with thumb down.
Makes me feel like a modern bowler.
So even if it does not improve anything, at least I will look cool making my approach. ;)
How did you get me replying to Rob as me wanting YOU banned? SMH
Nord

Post by Nord »

MeNoRevs wrote:
How did you get me replying to Rob as me wanting YOU banned? SMH
When you replied to Rob with this:
I hope you get banned. Don't need people like you on here.
I thought you meant you were in agreement with what he said and you were hoping I would get banned.
Sorry for misunderstanding you there. :o
Full Roller
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

I never suggested that anyone be banned. I was just expressing an opinion, just like the rest of you. If you don't like my opinion, that's life. Different strokes...

The fact of the matter is that we are bowling on modern lanes (nearly all synthetic) with modern oil, and modern oil patterns and volumes. How we want to bowl is irrelevant. How we have to bowl is dictated to us by the conditions.

All that I am saying is that if our physical condition will not allow us to compete at the level that we would like to, then we need to find some different motivation. In my own case, I am forced to throw a 14 lb plastic spare ball to compensate for my lack of ball speed as a result of degenerative bone disease in my spine. I can no longer compete with "the big boys," but I get more satisfaction from an occasional 600 series with plastic than I ever did using a ball that would score for me.
Nord

Post by Nord »

RobMautner wrote:So we've regressed to the point of watching videos of matches from the 50's.
This is the point I was expressing earlier about no respect for those who came before us and built the sport so we could enjoy it today.
Why is it wrong and regressive to watch the greats from the past bowl?
To take a break from the intensity and controversy of coaching Nord to enjoy classic bowlers?
I fortunately have on DVD the great 1980 Wimbledon match between Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe.
Considered one of the greatest matches in tennis history.
5 sets with tie breakers, no idea who would win to the very last point.
All done with wood rackets on grass.
By today's tennis standards that could be called highly regressive, yet, watching those men produce something so great without all the advantages of modern tech is truly amazing.
A lost era of grace and form.
Why is it wrong to look back with honor and respect and nostalgia?
To take inspiration from those who came before?
Full Roller
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Congratulations Nord! You've succeeded in creating the dumbest, most irrelevant thread ever, and look at everyone that keeps chiming in... on one side ore the other. Ridiculous!
While maybe not intended to, this statement does seem to be more attacking the poster and their character than the subject under discussion.

Just a suggestion for everyone, One of the recommendations/rules on How to Write a Good Forum Post is:

Rule #8: Always attack the argument, never the person.

In a casual conversation, direct address and use of the word "you" when responding to posts is entirely reasonable. It is necessary, however, to be very careful when doing so. It is surprisingly common how often posters inadvertently sleight other posters when addressing them.

Always be careful when you directly address another poster that you avoid in any way attacking them or their character. If the poster is wrong, then prove that they are wrong by attacking their argument with good counterarguments. It keeps your post more succinct, on topic, and at a level of maturity that better transmits your message.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

RobMautner wrote: Congratulations Nord! You've succeeded in creating the dumbest, most irrelevant thread ever, and look at everyone that keeps chiming in... on one side ore the other. Ridiculous!
Yes, and technically I started the thread, so perhaps I am the idiot here trying to help Nord by providing some advice and encouragement.

If nothing else, I did make TomaHawk throw up in his mouth. Truly one of my proudest moments.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

Nord wrote:Why is it wrong to look back with honor and respect and nostalgia?
To take inspiration from those who came before?
Nothing wrong with it at all except that the original post to start this threat was "Help Nord Score On House Shots." I really don't see how looking back with honor and respect and nostalgia has anything to do with helping you to score better on house shots, except to encourage you to believe that you can while ignoring all of the requirements needed to bowl on modern lanes with the exception of picking the right bowling ball.

By the way, I apologize for referring to "you." I mean no disrespect!
Nord

Post by Nord »

I am here to learn Rob.
Not all students are soft clay in the hand, some have hardened over time and need more patience to break out of bad habits.
I am trying, I really am.
Be patient.
Full Roller
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

Nord wrote: Sometimes when I am watching women's matches on xtra frame (on youtube) I will see the speed meters saying 12-13 mph for them.
So there are top pros that aren't all winging the ball.
Who are these top pros? I don't watch much pro bowling now, but when I did the only times I saw women slow rolling and scoring were if they were covering some boards. I've never seen any pro dumping it up 12 @ 13 mph and scoring. Usually the further right I see the pros the faster they're piping the ball down the lane.
James Talley
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by MeNoRevs »

Arkansas wrote:
Who are these top pros? I don't watch much pro bowling now, but when I did the only times I saw women slow rolling and scoring were if they were covering some boards. I've never seen any pro dumping it up 12 @ 13 mph and scoring. Usually the further right I see the pros the faster they're piping the ball down the lane.
I agree, I cant think of a pro female bowler that throws it that slow. I would like to see names, especiall if they are "top" pros.
Nord

Post by Nord »

It was Danielle McEwan and some other ladies, I don't remember precisely who.
The speed was the speed at the pins, not off the hand.
It was right on the score screen just like you see in league.
Why so skeptical?
Just watch some extra frame matches and look at the speed meters of the ladies and you will see.
And what if they were throwing slower because the conditions demanded it?
Why is that wrong?
Why must speed be as high as you think it should be?

There is a guy in our league, a strapping young man who uses a 16 lb Brunswick Quantum Forest Green at 180 grit.
Why?
Because he throws it 20 mph (effortlessly) and has only like 100 rpms.
If he hits square in the pocket, Belmo at his best can't get the pins to fly that hard.
But if he isn't perfect then, not good.

I have always heard that it is not speed or revs that matter, it is the correct combination of speed and revs and foremost even above those, is accuracy.
Full Roller
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

Nord wrote:I have always heard that it is not speed or revs that matter, it is the correct combination of speed and revs and foremost even above those, is accuracy.
You're exactly right! So why are you looking for the magic orb?
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

Nord wrote: Why so skeptical?
Because you were using it as an example to justify maintaining your slower speed, and I've watch a lot of pro bowling and I've never seen it. Not saying it doesn't happen. But I'd like to see it. I would imagine if they were bowling that slow they're either hooking the lane (which you're not) or they were on a super long pattern (which you're not).
Nord wrote:I have always heard that it is not speed or revs that matter, it is the correct combination of speed and revs and foremost even above those, is accuracy.
It's accuracy and power.

I mean sure, the correct combination of speed and revs, placed accurately is what matters. The thing is, the more speed and/or revs you have, the more area you can hit and score. It's not a zero-sum equation. You don't necessarily lose accuracy when you add speed and/or revs and you don't necessarily gain accuracy when you lose speed and/or revs.
James Talley