DISCOVERED A THUMB realization

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Re: DISCOVERED A THUMB realization

Post by rrb6699 »

I'm in the same boat. on a proper span fit I drop the ball even if I tape it super tight. I increased my span by 1/16 of an inch and I don't drop the ball now. it allows more contact with the base of my thumb and it's easier to hold on to for me even throwing up to 19mph downlane.

a possibility for hourglass thumbs that worked for me.
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
pocket710guy
THS Average: 203
Speed: 14-16
Heavy Oil Ball: Results solid
Medium Oil Ball: Ludicrous solid& pearl and Zing hybrid
Light Oil Ball: Ridiculous pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by pocket710guy »

Mo switched me over from a standard round thumb to a more oval thumb about 3-4 years and since then I'm not grabbing it at the bottom like I used to, now I'm coming out cleaner and don't have to use tape.
GrumpyCatFace
Preferred Company: Pyramid

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

I resolved my issue with a new driller. He correctly identified that my span is considerably longer than usual, and lengthened it. (5.5”, if you’re wondering)

I also used some sandpaper to carve out a more “oval” shape to the hole, allowing the sides of my thumb to clear. Then I added 4 pieces of tape to the “front” of the hole, about 1/4” down, which allows the thinner part of my thumb to sit on comfortably, while still clearing the rest.

It took a while to figure out, but it was well worth the effort. My average is up 50 pins since I did it.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair

Post by Arkansas »

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I resolved my issue with a new driller. He correctly identified that my span is considerably longer than usual, and lengthened it. (5.5”, if you’re wondering)

I also used some sandpaper to carve out a more “oval” shape to the hole, allowing the sides of my thumb to clear. Then I added 4 pieces of tape to the “front” of the hole, about 1/4” down, which allows the thinner part of my thumb to sit on comfortably, while still clearing the rest.

It took a while to figure out, but it was well worth the effort. My average is up 50 pins since I did it.
Can you take a picture of your hand in the ball? I've never seen someone with a legitimate 5.5" span. Would be interesting to see.
James Talley
GrumpyCatFace

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

Here ya go. :)

Not all that different, really. I probably have an easier time generating revs, though.
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair

Post by Arkansas »

Only looks about 1/2" long, so still probably a 5" span.
James Talley
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I resolved my issue with a new driller. He correctly identified that my span is considerably longer than usual, and lengthened it. (5.5”, if you’re wondering)

5.5" span is 'super rare'! Are you in the NBA! ;} You say UR in N Ohio, where & who's the PSO?
{You can PM me w/ his name, know most all in Gtr. Cleve, area.}
Fit looks stretched 1/2" is ALOT tho! IF that is what it is, doubtful. If it is 1/2" longer than what YOUR span should be. It will do damage untold. Your fingertips are NOT all the way in the ball, fully seated to the joint, in these pics.

Do the WIKI fit yourself w/ thumb fully inserted & fingers laid over the holes showing the midline between the 1st 2 joints is another pic to take for show & tell here. THX!
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

That. Looks. Awful.
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

MegaMav wrote:That. Looks. Awful.
Sure as hell does, can you say tendon & ligament damage?

That fit is what 'ole timers' used to call FULL fingertip, literally! Once his thumb exits the ball, its is 'really' on the TIPS. WRONG! The weight of the ball should be felt on the 1st one third of the joint in the swing. ( where have we heard that before? :) He doesn't even have the joint in the ball on a static fit, let alone once it's in the swing. meang-ya! That's why I'd like to know who fit him??
GrumpyCatFace

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

Here ya go.
image1.jpeg
I'm really not sure what you guys are concerned about, but it's very comfortable, when I have my hand under it. My thumb is also a bit double-jointed, which makes it more flexible than most.
image1(1).jpeg
That said, I have no idea what a bowling grip is "supposed" to feel like. Nobody can really describe it, or 'show' it. My thumb does hit bottom, in the hole, so I wouldn't mind it being a tiny bit deeper, but it doesn't impede me at all. The pressure of the bowling ball usually ends up somewhat on the side of my thumb, when I'm in my stance, then kind of moves under the pad during the swing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Confusionfusion11 wrote:new to this site and was recommend by a pro shop owner.
My question is something I discovered ...
Hi there, please be sure to add that pro shop to the map.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John