Suggestions for enhancements to Xtra Frame

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajvand0

Re: Suggestions for enhancements to Xtra Frame

Post by Ajvand0 »

Agree #1 issue is screen resolution, would put that as a priority on what to improve first.

Would also like to have more mic-ed up people. I would think have a clip-on mic on the bowlers who are on the featured pair of lanes. I know clip on mics are not cheap but just one or two for the featured pair would be nice.

If that's not possible, what about getting more portable mics and headsets like Jackie and have coach's/ball reps for players on featured pairs have discussions with Mike J and the bowling guy. I love when the ball reps get on the show with Mike J because they provide alot of good info. I know these guys are often called to work during qualifying rounds so a portable mic and headset would allow them the freedom to get stuff done while still doing the interview.

another idea would be have better info comming from Jackie bowling and the powerhouse update. Sometimes these updates are pretty weak with info (sometimes all she tells us is what ball a player is using and that's it.) How about having a short interview with the ball reps about the ball with surface and layout and what other balls the player brought with to qualifying and when we would expect these balls to come into play during qualifying.
FruitFly
THS Average: 164
Medium Oil Ball: Lane Masters World Class Particle
Preferred Company: Lane Masters

Post by FruitFly »

What I dont get is why they dont (or do they?) upload their archived material in a better quality.
If they have the recording equipment then this should not be that big a problem.
And it would make many customers happier. A lot of us know how hard it is for the pba and we'd take what we can get. I just sometimes think, that they try, but fail at having the ideas!

Also a commercial break for the free viewers and none for the paying would be an idea that might get more money and viewers.

Just a little more differentiation might help. Though I m not sure how much more effort that would take.
~ Frerk

"Obviously you're not a golfer" (The Dude)
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Does anybody subscribe? I'd like to - but don't want to watch on phone, tablet or computer.

I've got a 40" smart (lol, Google) TV sitting there which is fine for youTube, etc - but the XtraFrame people tell me it's not supported.
I've got a Roku box attached as well, but guess what? Not supported. MLB, NFL, MMA, etc. No PBA.

Is there any chance that XtraFrame will run in a Chrome browser on a Google TV?
Can I use the phone/tablet (Android) app and fling it to a Chromecast on the TV?
Has anybody used something like PlayOn with a home PC to deliver Xtraframe content to their TV?

Given that it all looks like it's Flash based, probably a big NO to everything.

Thanks,

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

stevespo wrote:Does anybody subscribe? I'd like to - but don't want to watch on phone, tablet or computer.

I've got a 40" smart (lol, Google) TV sitting there which is fine for youTube, etc - but the XtraFrame people tell me it's not supported.
I've got a Roku box attached as well, but guess what? Not supported. MLB, NFL, MMA, etc. No PBA.

Can I use the phone/tablet (Android) app and fling it to a Chromecast on the TV?
Has anybody used something like PlayOn with a home PC to deliver Xtraframe content to their TV?

Thanks,

Steve

PBA is owned by Microsoft people, so if they didn't invent it, buy it, or steal it, they aren't going to support it.
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

stevespo wrote:Does anybody subscribe? I'd like to - but don't want to watch on phone, tablet or computer.

Thanks,

Steve
As an Apple guy, I use the Xtra Frame app on my iPad/iPhone and have an Apple TV that streams it to my not-so-smart TV. It works very well. I am very happy with the set up.

I do not know anything about Google TVs. Perhaps Chromecast will work in the same capacity and stream from your computer the TV.
Trojanz

Post by Trojanz »

The low quality video is horrible.
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

LookingForALeftyWall wrote: As an Apple guy, I use the Xtra Frame app on my iPad/iPhone and have an Apple TV that streams it to my not-so-smart TV. It works very well. I am very happy with the set up.

I do not know anything about Google TVs. Perhaps Chromecast will work in the same capacity and stream from your computer the TV.
Thanks for the pointer. I've also got some Apple devices in the house, so maybe an Apple TV is ultimately the path of least resistance. I might just do a 1 month membership to see if I can get the streaming thing worked out. It might work ok from the Android app, but given how badly Google has screwed up youTube on Google TV, I'd be shocked.

Steve
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

Besides cameras, the people who subscribe are bowlers like us. We know bowling. When it comes down to the final frames, there has to be an understanding of scoring projection. I watched one broadcast, where they kept predicting the cut off of a squad scores. B squad was much lower scoring, and they were showing players who were easily in, and skipping over players who were throwing big shots in the tenth. Knowledge creates interest. I really thought my friend Matt Frieberg did a great job, of educating people on the modern game. Some of the broadcasters do well at math, and some don't. If you can't consistently forecast the scoring possibility with frames left, you shouldn't try. It brings down the value of the program. Overall, this program is well worth the money in my opinion. I hope others will try it, for their enjoyment, and to support the game.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
pastordug
Heavy Oil Ball: Revolt, Rage
Medium Oil Ball: Tribal Fire, Octane
Light Oil Ball: Tank, Sigma Hybrid
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by pastordug »

I looked back at my post from over 2 years ago and wanted to say that there have been upgrades made since then. My biggest complaint now is the mics being left on with no commentary. I had to turn it off during one show due to the profanity being "shared" by someone talking right behind the mics (Grandson doesn't need to hear that). My one other suggestion would be the app for a SMART TV. I remember Mike J saying when they first started there would be an app for that. Years later we still wait........ Other than that I really enjoy the broadcast. But 60k a show? Really? Someone is making some money!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

FYI
Check out YouTube ...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pro Bowling needs exposure and a show of interest.
I understand the quick cash concept of xtraframe and pay per view, but let's build a wider fan base etc. Pennywises but pound foolish. Xtraframe will attract SOME hardcore fans, but nothing that will sustain the tour.
xtraframe does reflect the number of customer, while YouTube counts hits, but hits are still a metric.

The sport needs sponsorship etc. Let's not let the tours become vestiges of the past.

I know I flog the dead horse, but hope springs eternal.

Be that as it may, there are some events on YouTube.

Cheers!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

So, I finally subscribed and feel there is value there - although the lack of platforms and features is kind of mind boggling.

History, favorites, playlists? How about just remembering where you paused the video and resuming when you return? That might work in the browser, but on Android it seems to refresh the app and you have to start over, navigate to your video and then fast forward to the right spot. Really annoying when you're trying to slowly make your way through hours of qualifying.

I'd love to see a Roku app. I believe Neulion supports this for their other sport oriented services. What I am doing is running the app on my Android phone and then screen mirroring it over to the Roku 2. The quality is ok, but sometimes it's pretty laggy. Could be any number of things (network, wifi, mirroring, CPU bottleneck, etc), but haven't done any troubleshooting yet.

Steve
Perrin
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 6 1/4 > 1/8^
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 425
Axis Tilt: 8
Axis Rotation: 75
Medium Oil Ball: Misfit
Light Oil Ball: slingshot

Post by Perrin »

phone app would be the #1 improvement as far as I am concerned.
Right handed
Speed 17 (off hand)
Rev Rate ~425
Initial Axis Rotation 70
Initial Axis Tilt 10
PAP 6 1/4 over 1/8th up
rev dominant
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by russelldean »

There is a phone app.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

I just wish I could exit the app and return to it without getting a "logged in on multiple devices" error and forcing me to login. That happens 90% of the times I close the app (not force quit, just move to the background while I do something else like send a text). It's beyond frustrating, and their support has been of no use to me.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

russelldean wrote:There is a phone app.
Yes, there is phone app - but it's terrible. Clearly the developers have never used it and their user experience people are out to lunch.

The Android app actually has a history feature, but the results appear to be alphabetical and not chronological - so what is the point? The short summaries do not have enough descriptive information to know what you're actually watching because they all start with super long titles "2016 United States Bowling Congress Masters..." so you can't tell if it's match play, qualifying, etc. You have to click on each entry and hope they bothered to enter the round and the group - which they often don't.

The browser based interface is no better, and I actually can't even find the "history" or "favorites" on my desktop. These are available on the phone, but NOT on the computer. All I see in the menu bar is "Home", "Live Events" and "Library". They've done some work to standardize the interfaces, but the navigation is completely different.

The PBA and Neulion continue to under-impress. Where is the desire to support their subscribers? I don't regret subscribing, but it feels like I've stepped back in time and lost all the features and flexibility that I have come to expect from a "modern" streaming application.

Steve
gbabione
THS Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/4 up
Speed: 18
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Proton Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Phase 2
Light Oil Ball: IQ Emerald
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by gbabione »

I subscribed for the second time this year. The last time, I cancelled my subscription because of poor video quality. It is greatly improved. I enjoyed watching qualifying for the tournaments in Reno, the Masters, and the TOC. It was especially exciting to watch the final round of matchplay and the position round of the TOC. That was the most exciting to watch since the days of going to Toledo to watch the PBA National Championship.
There are some good things that have been brought up in this forum. More cameras would be nice to be able to choose what pair to watch. Conversations with ball reps would be nice. Commentators on all channels. That was the worst, to be watching the video and have nothing but background noise the whole time. Also, having some kind of standings on the screen is needed. When I used to go to Toledo, I was always checking out the leaderboard.
Guy Babione

Right Handed
PAP 5" by 1/4" up
65* rotation
11* tilt
375 rev rate
18 mph off hand
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

http://www.flosports.tv/flosports-profe ... agreement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"FloSports, the innovator in live digital sports and original content, today announced a multiyear rights partnership with the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA). As part of the announcement, FloSports will launch FloBowling.com, a new site where fans can access PBA’s Xtra Frame for live and on-demand PBA coverage and more. The site will offer fans access to professional competition, breaking news, highlights, original documentaries, and more."

So, this seems encouraging. If nothing else, I'll finally get my Roku support and will be able to watch PBA/PWBA/etc events on a smart TV without hooking up a laptop or trying to screen cast from my phone (not great).

I had the chance to talk to Emil Williams Jr at the East Hartford PWBA event and had a really great conversation. I am actually a big fan of XtraFrame, and I'd watch more of it if it was easier to do from the comfort of my couch. Fundamentally I believe that he and the crew are doing a great job, but that the PBA needed a better platform in order to grow and compete. Two days later I saw this annoucement...

Steve