I STINK At This!

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

I STINK At This!

Post by soupy1957 »

I believe that, having a ball (the “RIGHT” ball) drilled for my hand, (fingertip Grip) would increase my chances of becoming a more consistent bowler.

I believe that having a decent pair of bowling shoes, helps in “feel” and performance.

I believe that being as consistent with my approach as possible, and making adjustments as I read the lane, are both key elements to a high score.

But after it’s all said and done, I CAN’T say that I am “consistantly” anything more than a 100 Pin bowler, who STINKS at the game!

Yes, it’s “fun” to bowl, at least that’s the point if going, right?! It’s a social game. And I realize that only bowling a couple of times a week, and being over 60 doesn’t help, but GEEZ!!

I watch the videos, and other better bowlers, and try and translate what I see and hear into my own game, but there is no consistent positive change?! It ought to be physics that takes over at some point!!

I don’t have the capitol to afford a “Coach” (gold, silver or whatever) and tap into local bowlers when I stumble on one that is obviously “good” at bowling; and sometimes they will offer suggestions.

But in the end........all things considered......I STINK at this!!!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: I STINK At This!

Post by flibblesh »

soupy1957 wrote:I believe that, having a ball (the “RIGHT” ball) drilled for my hand, (fingertip Grip) would increase my chances of becoming a more consistent bowler.

I believe that having a decent pair of bowling shoes, helps in “feel” and performance.

I believe that being as consistent with my approach as possible, and making adjustments as I read the lane, are both key elements to a high score.

But after it’s all said and done, I CAN’T say that I am “consistantly” anything more than a 100 Pin bowler, who STINKS at the game!

Yes, it’s “fun” to bowl, at least that’s the point if going, right?! It’s a social game. And I realize that only bowling a couple of times a week, and being over 60 doesn’t help, but GEEZ!!

I watch the videos, and other better bowlers, and try and translate what I see and hear into my own game, but there is no consistent positive change?! It ought to be physics that takes over at some point!!

I don’t have the capitol to afford a “Coach” (gold, silver or whatever) and tap into local bowlers when I stumble on one that is obviously “good” at bowling; and sometimes they will offer suggestions.

But in the end........all things considered......I STINK at this!!!
Bowling is the exact same as any other skill. It needs a lot of practice. A LOT.

Take some advice from the TV show Adventure Time - “Suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Did you join a senior league yet? Bowling during free-bowl is a crap shoot on getting a reliable environment on seeing what you are doing. Joining a league will get you around seasoned people who can give you advice and talk theory for a couple hours each week or just shoot the shit. Always something for that sense of competition too, even if you are a high handicap bowler. Have you gotten a wrist device yet? I will gladly send you one for free if you consider yourself a large/right hand.
Stacy
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

44boyd wrote:Did you join a senior league yet? Bowling during free-bowl is a crap shoot on getting a reliable environment on seeing what you are doing. Joining a league will get you around seasoned people who can give you advice and talk theory for a couple hours each week or just shoot the shit. Always something for that sense of competition too, even if you are a high handicap bowler. Have you gotten a wrist device yet? I will gladly send you one for free if you consider yourself a large/right hand.
Wow! Very kind of you! I haven’t bought one yet, and a “large Right hand” is me.

Thanks!

makes sense that joining a league would give me lots of folks to hear from.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

No problem, I’ll get it to you.
Stacy
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Where in Connecticut are you?
Depending upon where you there are options to get good help.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

A good local coach could charge around $30-$50/hr. You can take a lesson every other week or once a month if money is an issue. It is good to have a week or a few weeks between lessons so you can actually practice what is given. That’s the surest and fastest route to provress.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Greetings fellow Stinker.
Off the top of my head.
I'm very likely older than you.
What if any physical constraints do you have?
If any, are they correctable by a physical regimen?
The last time bowled was around 2005, just before surgery.
Never resumed. Massive workplace paradigm shift was the major reason.

The Big If.
If I ever attempt to bowl again, I will first drill at home and then continue to do so.
As a precursor to a bowling ball, a small weighted ball.
The first thing Mark Baker says he analyzes is footwork (citing his book and DVD)

Plunking down a few bucks for the Norm Duke DVD would be a good investment.

On coaching, great idea. Consider this, top coaches use video tape. The tape also helps the student see and BELIEVE.

Good examples of drills and techniques can be found on the wiki.
For example: Kegel Teen Masters Tips, Mohamed Janahi video, pause to read and save text, the ETBF video.

Look at Ray Wong's YouTube Bowling Lane Strategy for among other things a very simple spare system. Try that system and practice hitting each of the 7 pins on the face of the rack and each of the pockets.
Remember, targeting involved hitting 2 or more targets, it's connecting dots.
FORGET about hooking the ball until you can hit your targets.

Remember, 2 of the games best, roll it pretty straight, Duke and WRW Jr.

Post EVERY Shot.

Use professional or local elite female bowler's as models.
Why, because women are generally more efficient and rely less on muscle.

I can flesh out any of the above if needed.
Also I'm sure others will enhance it if they see fit.

Finally, Self Imposed Pressure can inhibit progress.

Take care and have fun and go easy on yourself!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

Great responses all!! Thanks for taking the time!

Understanding that I need to keep a rational head about this whole thing, and realizing the truth about the real priorities in life, bowling not being the more important item in the list of priorities in my world, I can laugh off my stupid mistakes and miscalculations.

It’s just frustrating to roll the dice “by the numbers” and not get the results that are SUPPOSED to occur. “One plus one” is supposed to equal two, but I guess I’m missing some vital piece, so I decided that either I didn’t have enough information, or was using the wrong formula.

Thank goodness my life doesn’t depend on my bowling skill!!!
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

soupy1957 wrote:Great responses all!! Thanks for taking the time!

Understanding that I need to keep a rational head about this whole thing, and realizing the truth about the real priorities in life, bowling not being the more important item in the list of priorities in my world, I can laugh off my stupid mistakes and miscalculations.

It’s just frustrating to roll the dice “by the numbers” and not get the results that are SUPPOSED to occur. “One plus one” is supposed to equal two, but I guess I’m missing some vital piece, so I decided that either I didn’t have enough information, or was using the wrong formula.

Thank goodness my life doesn’t depend on my bowling skill!!!
In bowling, there is no such thing as "supposed" to occur, unless you throw it in the gutter, then its supposed to not knock any pins down.

You have a round object making contact with 4 - 5 pins while it goes into the deck. these pins are counted on taking out the other 5 - 6 pins. Anything can happen. Thats not even going into ball deflection whether not it causes corner pin leaves.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Tried posting a few hours ago, but bumped into an SQL problem

Here goes nothing !!

Soupy, in my mind I was supposed to be 6 4, run like a deer, throw a baseball through a car was without it getting wet, etc

The world of sports can be several things, one of which is a healthy diversion and refuge from other things. A sanity break some physical activity.

Things that happen in the PHYSICAL do so for reasons. Some things perceived as luck and breaks often happen for reasons beyond our perception.

We can't see lane topography, oil, porosity of the ball.
Pins can be set in manners that help or harm, and it can vary by bowler.
We are not machines that deliver each shot precisely as we wish whether it be optimal or not. Many variables.
Yes there are breaks, but all is not always as we perceive.

In the last half of video below, coach Schockley, details observations of about 15 deliveries by Walter Ray Williams Jr. at the Kegel training center (on lane sensors).

[youtube][/youtube]

Dr Hinitz says one of our goals should be to "autograph every shot".
You can see bowling specific videos with Dr Hinitz, but here is one we all should watch
[youtube][/youtube]

We all know at least one athlete who too often fails to reach their potential due to EXPECTATIONS and PERCEPTIONS.

John
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

Things are going from bad to WORSE!!

Three games last night.......I couldn’t even break 100!!!!!

Can’t believe it!!!! What the hell is going on?!
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Sorry to hear, just got to practice and focus on hitting your target. Then you make adjustments off of that.
Stacy
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

soupy1957 wrote:Things are going from bad to WORSE!!

What have you changed? Have you enlisted in an instructor?

Your physical game needs help, go find an instructor in your area, and your scores will go up, if not, then I dont see how it will get much better IMO.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

soupy1957 wrote:Things are going from bad to WORSE!!

Were the 3 games in league?
If so, your biofeedback is slower, bowl and wait.
In practice, your biofeedback will be faster.

Greetings fellow Stinker.
Did you know that skunks wear tee shirts with my picture on it?
True. Would I lie?

[youtube][/youtube]

Soupy.
Without being able to see you, we have the 6 Blind Men and the Elephant fable revisited.
1:1 personal coaching if possible.
If you can video yourself by all means do so and post your videos on the the Certified Coachs Forum.
See instructions below.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note, Jim wants 1 from the side and 1 from the rear

For your own perusal, take 10 each way, that will give you an idea how consistent you are.
Keep an archive of yourself to monitor, changes.

If you can't video or get lessons, buddy up with someone, study and familiarize yourself with the points and drills below
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When you bowl, ask how you compare.
The Norm Duke video is a good investment, again, buddy up.

Remember, there are things you can practice at home, that is not at a bowling center.
I will reiterate that Mark Baker looks at a bowler's footwork first.
That's not because he has a foot fetish!

Take a look at the video in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12080&p=93637&hilit=HOF#p93637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John