First ball out on freshly oiled house shot

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

todvan
THS Average: 200

First ball out on freshly oiled house shot

Post by todvan »

My low game in both leagues this year was the first game. So I am looking to improve my first game ball reaction. On the left side with fresh oil, it plays sort of sport pattern like with not much miss room. The ball that works later in the 2nd game and 3rd is a bit too skid flip in the first game.

Are there some general rules of thumb for a controlled ball for the first game? My ForzaGT with a large Val angle (70) was controllable, but maybe not fully transitioning? Do I want high flare for fresh oil? Do I want lower RG to read the lane sooner? Just trying to learn any General ball principles for this situation in order to make a good choice for the next ball. Thanks!
Left Handed, 15 lb
PAP 4.5” up 1/2"
~60* rotation
~17* tilt
~250 RPM
~15 mph off hand
soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: First ball out on freshly oiled house shot

Post by soupy1957 »

todvan wrote:My low game in both leagues this year was the first game. So I am looking to improve my first game ball reaction. On the left side with fresh oil, it plays sort of sport pattern like with not much miss room. The ball that works later in the 2nd game and 3rd is a bit too skid flip in the first game.

Are there some general rules of thumb for a controlled ball for the first game? My ForzaGT with a large Val angle (70) was controllable, but maybe not fully transitioning? Do I want high flare for fresh oil? Do I want lower RG to read the lane sooner? Just trying to learn any General ball principles for this situation in order to make a good choice for the next ball. Thanks!
It takes me three games to get anywhere near my normal score!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

todvan wrote:My low game in both leagues this year was the first game. So I am looking to improve my first game ball reaction. On the left side with fresh oil, it plays sort of sport pattern like with not much miss room. The ball that works later in the 2nd game and 3rd is a bit too skid flip in the first game.

Have you tried surface? What is your strategy, down and in, small swing etc.. on the fresh?
Stacy
todvan

Post by todvan »

I guess I am leaning towards a bit stronger ball with a bit lower Val angle...pin in ring finer instead of below...unless there are any other ideas?
Left Handed, 15 lb
PAP 4.5” up 1/2"
~60* rotation
~17* tilt
~250 RPM
~15 mph off hand
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Well since you don’t want to have a discussion on your game, I would advise a Strong Asymmetrical like a More Cash with a 70x3x30 to guarantee it comes in.
Stacy
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

todvan wrote:I guess I am leaning towards a bit stronger ball with a bit lower Val angle...pin in ring finer instead of below...unless there are any other ideas?
I am a fan of control drillings with dull surfaces for a first ball out of the bag. Remember fresh lane conditions also have fresh backends. No need for a ball to accentuate a strong backend reaction when the lanes are already giving it to you. This is right in line with your thinking with the larger VAL angle.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
todvan

Post by todvan »

Thank you Eric, you are very helpful.