Should I switch to two handed? Weak arm and wrist

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Augustblade

Should I switch to two handed? Weak arm and wrist

Post by Augustblade »

I've been posting about these problems a lot but I'm really frustrated because I want to get better. I'm thinking of switching to two handed because I stuck at the current situation for a long time.

I have a quite weak arm and I'm using a 13 lbs ball. It's quite hard for me to lift the ball and hold it steady. (Or I don't know how "steady" feels like).
IMG_3592.JPG
this is the gap between my hand and the ball.
IMG_3591fff.jpg
this is how my thumb is loose from the ball. I can put my whole thumb into it, but when i lift it up, the ball has the tendency to drop and I cant support it with my other four fingers so the ball looks like hanging. That's why my second joint of thumb is so far out. Some coaches said this may be a drill problem. But the guy works at Purdue pro shop is quite good. He learnt from Mike Aulby in the triple arrow lane in Lafayette Indiana. Mike is certainly certified. So I trust both of them. It seems even the most certified guy can't help with my weak wrist.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Here are my back and side video I used in my previous posts. I can't cup my wrist in the down swing and my hand goes to the top at the release. I don't get any rev (usually 150, thats it). The ball won't have break point. It constantly hit between 3 and 6.

So my question is what should I do now, should I switch to two handed? Should I put a lot a tape in the thumb hole to snug my thumb in it? Should I use a lighter ball (i have a 10 lbs)? I stuck in the current situation for almost two months with no improvement. Any help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Should I switch to two handed? Weak arm and wrist

Post by 44boyd »

Your fit needs to be stretched out a bit, thumb looks loose. You want the ball in the palm of your hand, relaxed. You don’t necessarily need to be able to cup it but getting out of it clean and rolling up the back instead of coming around the side will up your revs.
Stacy
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

You are starting out too far left on the approach and your target (where the ball is actually crossing at the arrows) is too far inside.

Move your starting position 8 boards to the right...roll the ball bowl between the first & second arrow.

You should see more movement in your ball as it rolls down the lane, maybe even too much hook.

If so gradually move one board at a time left with your stating position and target until you hit the pocket.

You should not be looking at the gap with the hand position on top of the ball as seen in your top photo.

In the second photo, the grip looks acceptable.

Move that starting position to the right and you should see more hook than you have ever experienced.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Augustblade

Post by Augustblade »

JMerrell wrote: You should not be looking at the gap with the hand position on top of the ball as seen in your top photo.

In the second photo, the grip looks acceptable.
Thanks for the reply Mr. Merrell! I will apply your suggestion about starting right for sure!
My thumb seems kinda loose from the hole. Most people have the whole thumb up to second joint inside, but half of the part between first and second joint seems far out.
Is it a problem with wrist strength or grip? if it is a wrist strength problem then I'll keep doing exercise and consider buying a wrist support (the kind that looks like a glove)

Thanks again!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Augustblade.
Search YouTube for USBC fitness, this will bring up several videos that show aspects of a physical conditioning for bowling.

This wiki reference was recommended by coach Merrell on at least one thread on this forum
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... hould_Know" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd also recommend Tai Chi.

All of the above, transcends bowling per se.

You are very young, thus you have much time to improve yourself one day at a time.
Seek to become a better you today than yesterday, on the road to the best version of you that is possible.

Weak is a relative thing. In time, through desire and dedication, you can reach your goals.

Do what you need to do to address short term goals, but don't let short term solutions govern or limit your future.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John