Does Bowling Belong In The Olympics

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

You may select 1 option

View results

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Inspired by
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Related re: Good breaks/bad breaks in sports
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Established to show yes or no at a glance.
The thread cited above already contains discussion. This poll offers an focal point for a show of hands.
Last edited by kajmk on May 15th, 2018, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Does Bowling Belong In The Olympics

Post by guruU2 »

Bowling does but are the payoffs that great given the time, effort and money trying to pursue the goal- I am beginning to doubt it.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

guruU2 wrote:Bowling does but are the payoffs that great given the time, effort and money trying to pursue the goal- I am beginning to doubt it.
As always, you spark my curiosity.

Here are some articles dealing with monetary issues, criteria, process.
Please augment the reading list as you deem fit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 87a0e22ce9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-ar ... e-olympics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kajmk on May 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

guruU2 wrote:Bowling does but are the payoffs that great given the time, effort and money trying to pursue the goal- I am beginning to doubt it.
The time, effort and money for who? The host, or the players/teams? Or the ones trying to get bowling into the olympics?
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

JJakobsen wrote: The time, effort and money for who? The host, or the players/teams? Or the ones trying to get bowling into the olympics?
Earlier I added some related reading material.
Additions to suggested reading is always welcomed.

Opinions and gut feelings
Cost in some form, monetary and or otherwise is almost always a factor in decisions, actions or infractions.

There is the perception and rationale of what seems right and wrong. There is the transactional perspective, financial win/loss,sustaining (breaking even).

Choice usually means, some do, some do not, sort of like room on a boat ...

John
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

As I have stated before, the Olympics are moving more and more towards using old stadiums for their events. We have seen why in Rio de Janeiro, Sochi, Beijing and most likely in Pyeongchang too. They all look like Pripyat outside Chernobyl.

With this I mean that if you put the summer Olympics in Paris, you'd try to use an already built bowling center, and if not, try to find investors that want to run the center after the Olympics, to lower the costs.

So the cost of the event itself could be marginalized compared to today, both for bowling, and the sports that are currently in the Olympics.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

JJakobsen wrote:The time, effort and money for who? The host, or the players/teams? Or the ones trying to get bowling into the olympics?
Over the years bowling-the-institution has spent a great deal of money and put in a great deal of time trying to obtained Olympic status to no avail. Is it worth it to continue this pursuit? I am beginning to doubt it. What will be the return? If the pursuit changes the "popular perception" from bowling being an up scale escapist recreation to the historically accepted perception that bowling is a sport than it very well be worth it but that is not what the "power brokers" want as they love the "Go Bowling" ads that do not portray this imagine. When the masses, in the United States, believe bowling is a sport again than bowling has a chance to make it in the Olympics. The 46 year public relations campaign of promoting bowling as an escapist reaction or an ad hoc addition to the dinning experience has brought us to the current existential situation.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

As stated in a previous discussion, I love bowling as much as anyone, anywhere. But, sometimes, one needs to step outside a relationship and view it from a different perspective. From that point of view, it becomes unclear as to what would qualify bowling as an Olympic sport.

To be honest, I don't think bowling would have even considered entertaining the Olympics had the PBA Tour maintained it's presence on a weekly, nationally televised basis. The whole concept of promoting bowling as an Olympic event is conjured up by ABC / USBC in an effort to justify their very existence. And, in that effort, they have spent tons of money trying to convince a committee that bowling deserves a place in the most prestigious sporting event in the world.

Bowling is bowling, it's a crap shoot. The PBA Finals was truly indicative that statement. Three solid nines, two by a right hander, one by a lefty, spelled the difference between victory and defeat. At the top level of bowling, bad luck will prevail, it should not be the deciding difference between winning and losing. Especially on the Olympic sport platform.

That is the reality of the situation.