RotoGrip Hot Cell

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

RotoGrip Hot Cell

Post by soupy1957 »

Just bought one, had it drilled to my specs, saving most of its response til the end of the lane.

I dunno why some don’t like it.......I’m LOVIN it!!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

Re: RotoGrip Hot Cell

Post by mrbean »

i had one, and the only problem i had with it was i guess i didn't wipe it off enough and it lost reaction after 2 games
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

mrbean wrote:i had one, and the only problem i had with it was i guess i didn't wipe it off enough and it lost reaction after 2 games
I’ve made it a point to wipe my balls before every shot. (I wonder how often I should change out my towels??)

With THIS ball, I’ve adjusted my “approach” by slowing down, by starting about a full foot-length closer to the foul line, and am trying a more straight-handed release.

I’m not getting enough rotation with it yet, to get more reaction from the asymmetric core, (the oil “pattern” left on the ball is right up close to the finger hole, but shows me about eight lines or so, when I’d like to see fifteen or more).

I’m really only concerned with getting consistent and sufficient angular turn, going into the pocket, but I’ve only got a 15 mph ball speed. In other words, I’ve got WORK to do! (lol)

I noticed that the sound (not that it matters) is softer with this ball, when it hits the pins, unlike my Storm Match Up (two different covers) and I like the feel of the ball.

Had my thumb holes tweaked a tad on BOTH balls, and tried tucking my pinky under for a bit (didn’t like it) so the learning curve continues........
jazlar

Post by jazlar »

mrbean wrote:i had one, and the only problem i had with it was i guess i didn't wipe it off enough and it lost reaction after 2 games
Get a shammy and wipe it every shot, or at least every frame. I've found that a shammy is a must with urethane if you want to get a consistent reaction.

As for the Hot Cell, I've posted before that I shot (my only) 300/800 with mine. I'm not sure how anyone can get late movement out of this ball though. Mine is drilled somewhat weak and it still picks up really early - as soon as it sees friction. I suspect if it is moving late, it was kept too much in the oil. The ball will definitely burn up too much, and perhaps why it sounds different hitting the pins. You want urethane to hook early, set and roll.

I've since retired my Hot Cell and my urethane of choice is the Shadow Ops. It's not quite as strong as the Hot Cell, but it seems to be more versatile. That 20% resin seems to make the difference. When the shot calls for it, it comes out without hesitation. No 300/800s yet with it, but I've had some pretty good scores with it. Well over average.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

soupy1957 wrote:
I’m not getting enough rotation with it yet, to get more reaction from the asymmetric core, (the oil “pattern” left on the ball is right up close to the finger hole, but shows me about eight lines or so, when I’d like to see fifteen or more).
After 2-3 games, your 1000 OOB (out of box) finish is going to be more like 4000-5000. This has been demonstrated many times with a surface scanner, and I believe it applies to urethane as well.

Why do you want to see 15 oil rings? On a 40' THS and 15 MPH ball speed this would require roughly 500 RPM!

With my moderate ball speed and rev rate, I like to see ~6 oil rings on a THS with reactive resin. I do occasionally see 15+ rings with my high rev/low flare equipment, but that is typically on longer (45+) sport shots or targeting in the highest volume.

If you want to see movement on that ball, I think you need to add surface, use ball cleaner, and find some friction before the end of the pattern...

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

stevespo wrote:.............Why do you want to see 15 oil rings?.........
If I were smart enough to know the answer to this question, you’d probably enjoy the discussion, but I’m just an old man neighborhood hack, who gets feedback from far more intelligent and experienced bowlers, who apparently see some potential in this old guy, and want to “guide” me and offer their input.

I’m regurgitating what they tell me, based on their observations, in the hope that SOMEHOW I can improve my pin count average, and be a better bowler, that others will find to be a reasonable challenger.

In a televised competition within the last couple of months, I saw a guy (who’s name escapes me at the moment) who was reportedly 65 years old! It was MY thought at the time, that it seemed logical to me that there’s a TON of consistent and high-scoring bowlers out there, who are “older,” and that they could give the younger professionals a run for their money. It gives hope to a guy like me that ANYTHING is possible!

So I take what I see and hear, repeat it in here for dissection, in the hope that the feedback I get, can be whittled down into more realistic information. Then I’ll take the more realistic and concise truths, and attempt to apply it to MY game.

Thanks for being part of that process of learning, by contributing to my learning!

I PRESUME that the observation made to me recently, about not only the evidence of the amount of rotation rings evidenced on my ball, but also the tight packing of these rings, AND their orientation (location) on the ball, tells a story about me, AND the ball. If that is true, (and it makes sense that it can, since there are other examples in life where tracking wear or contact patterns can tell a story), then it’s worth looking at.

If the guy who made comments about the oil pattern, evidenced on my ball, was anywhere near correct, then I knew that repeating it in here would help me understand it better, and I would gain from the discussion. If his observations were bogus, I’d learn that TOO, by presenting it in here, as well.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

If you want an angular turn, get an angular ball. With your specs you should have went with a more high end ball to see the motion you’re looking for.
Stacy
pocket710guy
THS Average: 203
Speed: 14-16
Heavy Oil Ball: Results solid
Medium Oil Ball: Ludicrous solid& pearl and Zing hybrid
Light Oil Ball: Ridiculous pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by pocket710guy »

Why would you buy urethane? Doesn't make much sense to me unless you are using it as a spare ball. What do you average with urethane vs low end reactive?
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

pocket710guy wrote:Why would you buy urethane? Doesn't make much sense to me unless you are using it as a spare ball. What do you average with urethane vs low end reactive?
I’m old...........and stuck in the 70’s!! (lol)

I’ll toss around pin counts when I’m good enough to brag. Right now, I just enjoy the game!