Balance Holes?????

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Balance Holes?????

Post by soupy1957 »

In another Thread currently, they are talking about some changes (apparently) that have to do with Ball construction (if I’m reading things right).

A week ago or so, I saw a guy in my local Pro Shop, picking up a ball that I presumed to be his, and noted that it had a thumb hole sized hole, drilled into the ball, but it wasn’t the hole the bowler used to hold the ball.

I speculated at the time, that perhaps this was a ball that this particular bowler didn’t want to replace, and decided to change the hole location(s) for whatever reason.

That raises two questions for me:

1. Why leave the old thumb hole drilled out? Why not plug it?
2. Is this a “balance hole?” What IS a “balance hole,” and when should it be considered?

I’m making the assumption that “balance holes” are legal for competitive play, and I wonder just how commonly a “balance hole” is found on players balls?

But wait a minute! It can’t ALL be based on mathematical location, can it?!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn’t core design (shape) have to be taken into account, which has a direct effect on the way a ball rolls?!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Balance Holes?????

Post by bowl1820 »

A Balance/Weight hole is a hole placed in a ball to either bring a ball back to USBC legal specifications in regard to static weight rules and/or too Increase or Decrease ball reaction.

If someone has a new thumbhole drilled they plug the old one, You just don't leave gripping holes unplugged and drill new ones somewhere else on the ball.

So yes what you seen was a balance hole most likely.

As for when should Balance hole be considered? When you need to make it static weight legal or want to Increase or Decrease ball reaction.

Yes currently Balance/Weight holes are legal for competitive play, But starting Aug. 1, 2020 they will no longer be legal.

The systems like the Gradient Line are basically designed to take the core design (MB/PSA, Your PAP, PIN etc.) into account.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by soupy1957 »

bowl1820 wrote:..............Yes currently Balance/Weight holes are legal for competitive play, But starting Aug. 1, 2020 they will no longer be legal..........
Well there it is...........
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

After August 2020, ball selection and layouts will become much more critical to getting the desired ball motion.
Balance holes simplified this process, since a given ball could be drilled for slightly reduced diff, then tuned to higher diff or earlier hook phase with the balance hole.

IMO, symmetrical weightblocks will be more greatly affected by the rule change.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º