Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Layout advice for an ancient lefty

Post by jdrsuper »

I am looking for layout advice for an IQ tour edition. It is 13 lb 3oz, top weight is 2.29 oz and the pin is 2 -2.5. My specs are in my signature and they were obtained about 7 months ago. I just turned 78 and only bowl in my local ABT tournaments on weekends. I was measured at 13 mph of my hand but recently when I look at the monitor that measures speed in houses that have that capability, I see speeds between the mid to high eights to the mid to high nines. Should a ball supposedly coming off my hand lose that much speed going down the lane? I am looking for a layout for sport shots 3 to 1 or less with oil going from 40 to 46 feet with volume around 25ml's. With my low speed and high axis rotation, I have no problems with hooking any ball, rubber and plastic included. Would a low flaring layout with length work for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Layout advice for an ancient lefty

Post by EricHartwell »

Being able to hook the the ball is one thing but getting it to roll is another. The layout helps you achieve roll. I don't think low flare is the answer for longer flatter patterns.

Control layout.................... 70-4-60 balance hole 2" below midline on the VAL Pin in the Ring finger

Long and Strong ................ 80-4-40
This one has the option to add a Motion Hole for more length and backend.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

jdrsuper wrote:I was measured at 13 mph of my hand but recently when I look at the monitor that measures speed in houses that have that capability, I see speeds between the mid to high eights to the mid to high nines. Should a ball supposedly coming off my hand lose that much speed going down the lane?
A ball typically will lose about 2-3 mph going down the lane, So 13 off the hand with 10 at the pins would be about average say.

So 9 at the pins wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, Of course the accuracy of the speed monitors, Along with conditions, ball surface etc. would factor in also.

If your swinging the ball with a lot belly in it vs playing a straighter line, it will register a bit slower also.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up

Post by jdrsuper »

EricHartwell wrote:Being able to hook the the ball is one thing but getting it to roll is another. The layout helps you achieve roll. I don't think low flare is the answer for longer flatter patterns.

Control layout.................... 70-4-60 balance hole 2" below midline on the VAL Pin in the Ring finger

Long and Strong ................ 80-4-40
This one has the option to add a Motion Hole for more length and backend.
Eric,
Thanks so much for your prompt reply and I will go with the long and strong and after using it I will decide if the motion hole is needed.
Joel Resnick

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up

Post by jdrsuper »

bowl1820 wrote:
A ball typically will lose about 2-3 mph going down the lane, So 13 off the hand with 10 at the pins would be about average say.

So 9 at the pins wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, Of course the accuracy of the speed monitors, Along with conditions, ball surface etc. would factor in also.

If your swinging the ball with a lot belly in it vs playing a straighter line, it will register a bit slower also.
Bowl1820,

Thanks for your prompt reply and that solves my mystery. I bowl as I said on sport conditions and due to my slow speed and hook, I tend to not play a straignt line most of the time and do belly the ball.
Joel Resnick