Watching bowling videos and then messing up

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Watching bowling videos and then messing up

Post by krava »

I am not sure how to word the topic.

Here is the situation. I watched a few bowling videos this week. One such video was this one: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; USBC increase rev rate. I watched this video and this is what I got out of it. If you try to increase your rev rate by thinking about it and trying to do something at the end, then you most likely will mess up and just decrease it even more. I heard about just letting the ball go and not think about it.

I went bowling today saying I am just going to let the ball roll off my hand, I am not going to grip it etc. Game 1 and most of game 2 I couldn't hit anything. 90% of the balls went to the right and 2 of them I tugged left trying not to miss right. 9th frame of 2nd game, I said I am tired of this and I am going to put something on this to get it to hook a little more. I started to "hit up" or lift the ball at the very end before it was released. Once I did that, I didn't miss at all. I was within 1 board of my mark. I would hit either 9 or 10 with the same or close to the same launch angle. The video doesn't say anything about lifting the ball or pulling up or side with your fingers I don't think.

This is what happened to me today:
http://www.syncpassport.com/MyScores/Sc ... AAAADvF201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1st frame, I left a 2 5 or a 4 8 or something (pins left of the head pin). I used my ball threw and the ball didn't have enough hook and I chopped the first and missed the 2nd. I would have gotten it if I had lift on the ball. 5th frame was a 4 6. 2nd game I missed a 10 and a 4 pin back to back to start the game. 8th frame left a 1 2 7 and knocked the 2 into the wall around the 7. For me to leave the 1 pin, I didn't make it to the pocket so I then I got pissed and started to put "extra" which was lift on the ball. After the 2nd frame of the 2nd game, the only single pin spares I left was 10 pins and every one of them was a solid 10 and I didn't miss any more after that first one. That last game should have been a 300 and the last game on Thursday should have been a 300. Thursday I left 2 solid 8s and 2 solid 10 pins and missed a spare and only got 227. I know if I miss right and I have too much entry angle then I deserve to leave a 10 pin, or if I pull inside a bit and don't get enough entry angle I can leave a flat 10 etc. We are talking about good entry angle.

Anyway when I got done I talked to the guys that bowled us and he said he saw what I was doing wrong. He said I wasn't putting lift on the ball the first 2 games but he couldn't tell me because if he would have, they probably would have lost. They are in 2nd and we are in first.

Because of this, I am going to get a small memo pad thing to keep with me. When I start missing right every single shot, I will have a note in there something like this

- Missing right at arrows every single ball: Probably not lifting with fingers at the end when throwing the ball.

Does anyone else have a memo pad or something to look at when they can't figure out what they are doing?

My partner said that I was "looping the ball in the back", That can also make me throw the ball to the right. I know how to fix the looping problem by lowering the ball, tilting more and bending more at the end and that didn't fix this problem today.

I wish I never read that article because I am fine with the revs I have now when I am throwing the ball like I did in the 3rd frame. The ball comes off the breakpoint spinning 45 degrees or so. I just hate figuring out what I was doing wrong so far into the night. I haven't shot under 600 the whole league. I was so frustrated I wanted to hit something. I wasn't blaming the lanes, the ball, I knew the problem was with me and I was like what the hell is wrong. I figured out just don't let the ball fly out of your hand like what I heard in the video and throw it like I am suppose to and put a little extra at the end like I am used to.
seventen7ten
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 3.5" Right 1" Up
Axis Tilt: 36
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Alpha Crux
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tribal & Brunswick Axis
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Watching bowling videos and then messing up

Post by seventen7ten »

krava wrote:Does anyone else have a memo pad or something to look at when they can't figure out what they are doing?
I designed this form to help me during my bowling sessions. Hope this works for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

I'm not sure what it is about bowlers and their desire to increase rev rate. The bottom line is, speed, rev rate, tilt, and rotation have to match up. Further more, a person needs to be realistic as to what their physical limitations are. The ability to roll the ball like EJ Tackett is not within the capability of most people. So, why do they try? Ego, plain / simple.

Bowling is like any other physical activity, but often lends itself to unrealistic goals. Why? Because the people who are so good at it, make it look so easy. They are equipped with the physiological and psychological attributes to make it happen.

People with lesser potential spend too much time trying to emulate something they can never achieve.

I heard a sports commentator make a remark: "Very few people in the world can hit a baseball 500 feet". That is a somewhat ambiguous statement. Of course the ordinary person can hit a baseball 500 feet. Or can they? Some will die trying.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I used to use a form similar to that but that is much better. what is the BHFLM stand for in the pocket? Brooklyn, High, Flush, Left, Middle? stance I don't get. I had target as at arrows and at breakpoint. Speed I do N for normal F for fast what is ball? when you change? I had 9 balls yesterday only used 1 plus spare. nevermind see the letters at the bottom. I will fill this thing out tonight and try it.
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

We have to play within our own physical limitations. Sure I can crank the ball upwards of 500+ rpms at 20 mph. But the amount of effort I put into throwing a shot like that has taken such a strain on my body. Over time I developed tendinitis in my elbow. Now when I try to put too much on the ball it flares up and I am having a hard time gripping the ball or even simple things like a bottle of water without pain.

The important thing is not to worry about rev rate all that much. Speed and rev rate need to match along with ball and playing the right part of the lane. Nothing wrong with putting lift on the ball but imagine having a soft hand like Pete Weber. Lift but open the hand at release. This will mean that there is no grab. Pete used to have a fairly high rev rate back in his heyday but these days he's got one of the softest if not the softest hand on tour and gets the job done with rotation instead of rev rate.
pjape

Post by pjape »

Sometimes a high rev rate can hurt you. Tonight in league, the anchor on the other team started with back to back 250 games. The lanes really broke down for game three, and he shot a buck-seventy game. He's the typical high rev/high speed young player, and it just didn't work for the last game.

Personally, I find that the better everything is before the release, my rev rate goes up without even trying. I'd rather focus on being a great shot-maker and let my rev rate take care of itself. There a quite a number of pro bowlers who are millionaires who do not have high rev rates. Guys like Belmo and Tackett are freaks of nature, and I think it's best we try not to emulate them.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

My rev rate is fine, I was just trying to do what they said in the video and see what happens :) I was like "I wonder what happens if I try this".
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

And now you know. -- JohnP
seventen7ten
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 3.5" Right 1" Up
Axis Tilt: 36
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Alpha Crux
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tribal & Brunswick Axis

Post by seventen7ten »

krava wrote:. . . stance I don't get. . . .
STANCE: The spot on which you stand when you start your approach. I use a number to designate this. "20" for the center of the approach. "27" for 7 boards left of center, etc.
krava wrote:. . . I had target as at arrows and at breakpoint. . . .
TARGET: Use 2 numbers for the spots you target at the arrows and the break point, e.g. "15/8" = Target line from the 3rd Arrow to the 8-board at the Break Point.
krava wrote:. . . Speed I do N for normal F for fast . . .
SPEED: Use a number if you have access to a radar gun. ;)
S-M-F works also. (Slow, Medium, Fast)
krava wrote:. . . what is ball? when you change? I had 9 balls yesterday only used 1 plus spare. . . .
BALL: The ball you are using for your first ball/shot (I don't bother marking down my spare ball). Use an abbreviation, a number, spell out the name of the ball, or whatever helps you remember which ball you are using, e.g. I designate my Storm Alpha Crux with a surface of 1,000 grit as: "A/C-1K"

Hope this clears things up for you.
soupy1957

Post by soupy1957 »

krava wrote:I am not sure how to word the topic. Here is the situation. I watched a few bowling videos this week. One such video was this one: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; USBC increase rev rate. I watched this video and this is what I got out of it..........I wish I never read that article.........
In the world of golf, which is not what we talk about here, but still..........there is a plethora of information out there about the right form, the right swing, the right arc, etc.. That’s also true in the world of bowling, as you know.

The thing that I have found the most useful in any sport, is “consistency.” The maxium that I follow these days is, “it doesn’t have to look pretty; it just has to get the job done.” I pay less attention to the various techniques that different people employee, and pay closer attention to the way that “I” perform, and what the result is when I do certain things, one way or another.

For example, one thing I’ve noticed recently, as I have come back into the world of bowling, is this new two-handed throwing of the ball technique, that seems to be growing out there. It reminds me of the use of the long tall putters that were being used by PGA players in golf, but recently were outlawed by the PGA.

Whether were talking technique, or equipment, the temptation is to grab hold of the “latest and greatest” to try and improve the way our game goes. It’s all because we want to be better at what we do. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Cici Rodriguez had one of the most unorthodox swings in golf. He look like he was swinging a bat at a baseball when he got up to the tee. I’m sure if I thought a little bit about it, there’s probably a Pro bowler or two you can think of, who has a very unorthodox style, but still ranked well in competition.

My advice: quit gauging your game by all the fluff out there. Do the things you already know how to do, to have a successful game. Get back to YOUR “basics.” The HANG with all the others!!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
Shazaam
THS Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over and 1/2" up
Speed: 14-15 MPH, Qubica Monitor

Post by Shazaam »

soupy1957 wrote:My advice: quit gauging your game by all the fluff out there. Do the things you already know how to do, to have a successful game. Get back to YOUR “basics.” The HANG with all the others!!
Brilliant advice. A real world example today: I had to pre-bowl for league tonight. First 2 games, I shot 197 & 192, 2 open frames in each of those first 2 games cost me 20+ pins. I know my game well enough that I knew I have a tendency for fast feet and a lazy release. So the 3rd game, I decided to focus on my timing and a strong release. The result? A clean 237.

Working within your own physical game and capabilities is the key to consistency.
My current Stats:

RH
PAP: 5" over and 1" up
Speed: 14.5-15.5 MPH at Monitor
Rev rate: approx. 250-300 rpm
Tilt: 13-15 degrees
pjape

Post by pjape »

soupy1957 wrote:
In the world of golf, which is not what we talk about here, but still..........there is a plethora of information out there about the right form, the right swing, the right arc, etc.. That’s also true in the world of bowling, as you know.

The thing that I have found the most useful in any sport, is “consistency.” The maxium that I follow these days is, “it doesn’t have to look pretty; it just has to get the job done.” I pay less attention to the various techniques that different people employee, and pay closer attention to the way that “I” perform, and what the result is when I do certain things, one way or another.

For example, one thing I’ve noticed recently, as I have come back into the world of bowling, is this new two-handed throwing of the ball technique, that seems to be growing out there. It reminds me of the use of the long tall putters that were being used by PGA players in golf, but recently were outlawed by the PGA.

Whether were talking technique, or equipment, the temptation is to grab hold of the “latest and greatest” to try and improve the way our game goes. It’s all because we want to be better at what we do. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Cici Rodriguez had one of the most unorthodox swings in golf. He look like he was swinging a bat at a baseball when he got up to the tee. I’m sure if I thought a little bit about it, there’s probably a Pro bowler or two you can think of, who has a very unorthodox style, but still ranked well in competition.

My advice: quit gauging your game by all the fluff out there. Do the things you already know how to do, to have a successful game. Get back to YOUR “basics.” The HANG with all the others!!
Since you're talking golf, I also have to mention the guy from my area, Jim Furyk. He has a very unorthodox swing, but had (has!) a great career because he is very consistent.

Then there's three of the best of all time in the PBA; Walter Ray, Earl Anthony and Don Carter. Did they all do it "by the book?" No, but they all could repeat shots like nobody else, and thus are three of the greatest bowlers in history.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Accuracy trumps power. Accuracy + power = hall of fame. -- JohnP
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

JohnP wrote:Accuracy trumps power. Accuracy + power = hall of fame. -- JohnP
Very succinct and very accurate! (pun intended)
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

pjape: I know a high rev rate can hurt sometimes. Probably in Nationals. That is why I have learned to adjust for that. Full Roller style 125-150 or so revs. 3/4 roller 250's or so. New Style 325-350 or so. I am having hell with the new style but doing better. I am pretty accurate with all 3.

I can change rev rate, Change ball speed. I don't know how to dell with Axis tilt or rotation. I think when the bowling styles change both of these both change. That will be another thing to discuss with the IRTC. How to take a style such as the new style and change tilt or rotation.