looking for some help with a new bowler fitting!

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

dozer324
Preferred Company: storm

looking for some help with a new bowler fitting!

Post by dozer324 »

I had an open bowler come into the shop who insisted on getting a performance ball. The bowler at the time was using a house ball and gripping the ball with a half thumb. After reading online and people telling him to go full thumb he wanted to get fitted for a ball. After suggesting a Rhino at most as this was his first ball, he insisted on something else, which was a roto grip wreck'em. Using the BT fitting wheel and a jayhawk fitting ball, I got him fitted for a fingertip grip.

When he picked up the ball I watched him throw the ball for a bit and he then started complaining about his wrist hurting, which seemed to be from trying to throw the ball like he was before, trying to crank it and twisting his wrist at release but now with his thumb in the ball.

After giving him some tips on proper release for a finger tip, keeping his hand behind the ball and having his thumb point to the sky at release, he started getting better rotation on the ball, and the ball wasn't hooking off the lane. But now he is complaining of discomfort on the back of his hand. He says he has no discomfort elsewhere and the grip does not feel stretched to him.

I have learned my lesson, don't sell a performance ball as a first ball, regardless if the customer insists.
I told him I would redrill the ball for a half thumb grip if he wants, but he then says no, and wants to keep trying full thumb.

Any tips on how others deal with customers who insist on getting a performance ball, over a plastic or entry level ball would be greatly appreciated. Especially these younger generation bowlers who are using two hands or no thumb etc. with a house ball, and then want to jump into a performance ball?
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: looking for some help with a new bowler fitting!

Post by bowl1820 »

Just a opinion, but He's changed to a totally different grip than what he was using before and how he's releasing it.

Whether he bought a entry level ball or a performance ball. He most likely would have had the same issues, which all appear to be fit and release related.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
dozer324
Preferred Company: storm

Post by dozer324 »

bowl1820 wrote:Just a opinion, but He's changed to a totally different grip than what he was using before and how he's releasing it.

Whether he bought a entry level ball or a performance ball. He most likely would have had the same issues, which all appear to be fit and release related.
Yes, a good point, regardless of the ball he would be having the issues he is having. My concern now is that if he wants to go back to his half thumb style grip he was using before with the new ball, that it will be way too aggressive with his revs.

I guess my question should be, how do others suggest to a bowler who is buying their first custom fitted ball, to stick with a polyester ball or entry level ball over that high end ball they see the pros throwing on tv?
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Unless you can convince the customer to change his mind you only have two choices, either sell him the ball he wants or send him to another driller. I would sell him the ball he wants with the reminder that I don't recommend it. As far as changing his mind, some will listen and some won't. All you can do is try. -- JohnP
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

JohnP wrote:Unless you can convince the customer to change his mind you only have two choices, either sell him the ball he wants or send him to another driller. I would sell him the ball he wants with the reminder that I don't recommend it. As far as changing his mind, some will listen and some won't. All you can do is try. -- JohnP

I learned a long time ago (in the 60's ) that the customer is always right even if they are wrong...Do your best to get them to see the light, but in the end do as they wish, but be clear about the end results...I am in agreement with John .....Steve S
gunso

Post by gunso »

I think there is a huge problem with selling somebody who wants hook a polyester or even the lowest of the entry level balls. People want tonsee hook and they will do what it takes to hook the ball. Having them throw polyester or the lowest entry level balls will make them hook the ball the wrong way and bad tendencies will start to form.

Better to hook to much and learn to control it in my opinion. you'll notice right away if 20-30 extra bucks is that big of a deal for them
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

steve s wrote:I learned a long time ago (in the 60's ) that the customer is always right even if they are wrong...Do your best to get them to see the light, but in the end do as they wish, but be clear about the end results. Steve S
Just remember the customer may not always be right -- but is always the customer. We all get customers lke that. Good luck.
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by fufu »

Last week, I had a very interesting conversation with a guy on the phone:

Me: Proshop, this is (Fufu) how may I help you.
This guy: hello, I’d like to get a ball drilled.
Me: great I’m here XX hours.
TG: Ok, what products do you carry? Do you have any Storm Equipment?
Me: Yes I have a good variety of Storm, Rotogrip and 900 Global as well as a few Hammers.
TG: Do you do a full fitting?
Me: Could you elaborate?
TG: Well Is like to know my axis point, rev rate and such.
Me: Sure that’s not a problem. What weight equipment do you throw so I can see what I have in stock?
TG: Well it varies between 14 and 15.
Me: That’s kinda unusual. I’d suggest you pick a weight.
TG: well, it just depends what house ball feels the best that day.
Me: Oh, ok well come see me and I’m sure we can work it out.

This guy has obviously been watching too many YouTube videos. That’s the first time I’ve heard of anyone asking me to find their axis point off a house ball.

I’m fairly certain this guy came in a few days later and had me drill him a Code Red with a conventional grip.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;