Bowling spinner style

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jochemke

Bowling spinner style

Post by Jochemke »

Hello,

I am looking for someone who can help me get into the spinner/ufo style.

I’m curious about how I should layout and get a bal drilled.
What movements and if you have tips that would be very handy.

I found that the ideal ball weight is 10-12lbs and that the fingers should have reverse pitch.
That is everything I know right now.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Bowling spinner style

Post by JMerrell »

Welcome to the site.

The Asian spinner style is typically only competitive on flatter (tougher) lane patterns.

Usually can't keep up when the scoring pace is higher.

Where do you live?

Plenty of information on youtube.

[youtube][/youtube]
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Jochemke

Post by Jochemke »

JMerrell wrote:Welcome to the site.

The Asian spinner style is typically only competitive on flatter (tougher) lane patterns.

Usually can't keep up when the scoring pace is higher.

Where do you live?

]
Thx for the reply. I live in Belgium and the lanes where I usually play are quite on the dry side the last few months.

I know i can find plenty of info on YouTube but not really anything about drilling or span (is it different then a regular span)
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

For adults, the preferred weigh is typically 11-12 pound plastic ball.

Drilled conventional grip, cg placed in the middle of the span.......no finger inserts.

This style is best learned by focusing on rotating the forearm to create the spin the ball.
-JMerrell
Jochemke

Post by Jochemke »

JMerrell wrote:For adults, the preferred weigh is typically 11-12 pound plastic ball.

Drilled conventional grip, cg placed in the middle of the span.......no finger inserts.

This style is best learned by focusing on rotating the forearm to create the spin the ball.
I understand. And do you know something about the pitches?
I think I read here on the forum that zero for the thumb and preferably reverse pitch for the fingers.
Do you think a loose finger hole is preferred or rather quite snug?

Again thanks for your info
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I think you should learn how to tilt the ball with wrist cock before going extreme with spinning.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Jochemke wrote: And do you know something about the pitches?
I think I read here on the forum that zero for the thumb and preferably reverse pitch for the fingers.
Do you think a loose finger hole is preferred or rather quite snug?

Again thanks for your info
Start with a standard conventional drilling, loose rather than tight holes.

It doesn't take much strength to hold onto a 11-12 pound conventional fit ball.

Spinning the ball is predicated on getting the ball off the hand sooner (loose fit) rather than later.
-JMerrell
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

I have drilled a few of these. I suggest the thumb should be drilled 0-0, with at least 1/2 reverse for fingers. The ball will leave the fingers first and the thumb last. Keep the hand at the top of the ball and start to rotate the hand/ball during the forward swing, At the release the hand will be on top of the ball with the fingers pointing at the target pin. The ball can rotate while the thumb is still in the ball. Because this style of bowling only goes straight then lane conditions don't matter much. You only need to bring one ball for any competition. It won't take long to reach the average you currently have using several balls. Accurate target shooting is vital, so practice improving your eye hand coordination.

I know someone will say the hitting power (momentum) is ball weight mulitplied by ball speed. I don't disspute that, but I have seen this work.
Jochemke

Post by Jochemke »

JimH wrote:I have drilled a few of these. I suggest the thumb should be drilled 0-0, with at least 1/2 reverse for fingers. The ball will leave the fingers first and the thumb last. Keep the hand at the top of the ball and start to rotate the hand/ball during the forward swing, At the release the hand will be on top of the ball with the fingers pointing at the target pin. The ball can rotate while the thumb is still in the ball. Because this style of bowling only goes straight then lane conditions don't matter much. You only need to bring one ball for any competition. It won't take long to reach the average you currently have using several balls. Accurate target shooting is vital, so practice improving your eye hand coordination.

I know someone will say the hitting power (momentum) is ball weight mulitplied by ball speed. I don't disspute that, but I have seen this work.
You se to know a bit of this style. Do you have some practice drills that I can use? I know accuracy is key in this release but i’m Not that bad in spare shooting so this will eventually work for me.

Normally next week my 11lbs ball will arrive. Once I get it stiles I will go out and practice a lot.
Is it possible to get back to a 180avg quite soon? Or is this rather rare or difficult for a spinner?
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

Jochemke wrote:You se to know a bit of this style. Do you have some practice drills that I can use? I know accuracy is key in this release but i’m Not that bad in spare shooting so this will eventually work for me.

Normally next week my 11lbs ball will arrive. Once I get it stiles I will go out and practice a lot.
Is it possible to get back to a 180avg quite soon? Or is this rather rare or difficult for a spinner?
Getting back to your current average can be achieved in 2 or 3 weeks. I base this on the bowlers I know who converted to the new style. Obviously everyone is different so that estimate way not work with you. Try to keep your arm straight by not bending your elbow, just stay relaxed. Finger hole sizes should not be tight, you want the ball to leave the fingers easily.

A practice drill is to rotate your forearm, from the elbow to the hand, during a practice approach. Keep your hand at the top of the ball, the fingers should leave the ball when the fingers ane nearest the pins. The axis will be near the thumb hole. I have never had to put an extra hole in a ball for this type of shot.
The Kid

Post by The Kid »

What's the goal of this style? Seems like it takes away the lane play aspect entirely, which means you've got to be much more accurate. Low entry angle and lighter balls seem like they would hurt carry.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

The Kid wrote:What's the goal of this style? Seems like it takes away the lane play aspect entirely, which means you've got to be much more accurate. Low entry angle and lighter balls seem like they would hurt carry.
If someone can achieve the same average with a one ball arsenal which is a light weight ball and has a low entry angle, I could equally ask what the goal is of having a six ball arsenal and attempting to understand changing lane conditions from shot to shot. The goal in bowling is to knock down more pins than the opposition, This style will not suit every bowler but it does suit some.
The Kid

Post by The Kid »

In that sense, I get it. But, I'm curious how/why it works. Why would a lighter ball bowled straight do well? Does the spinning help with carry? Or does it help with consistency of release in some way? Why not roll a ball from the corner (standing far right or left) and bowl straight at the pocket?
Jochemke

Post by Jochemke »

The Kid wrote:In that sense, I get it. But, I'm curious how/why it works. Why would a lighter ball bowled straight do well? Does the spinning help with carry? Or does it help with consistency of release in some way? Why not roll a ball from the corner (standing far right or left) and bowl straight at the pocket?
From what i understand is that the light weight of the Ball is beter for this style because it deflects much easier.
The spinning creates the deflection the moment it hits a pin. It is interesting to see how different the ball and the pins react when compared to a hook shot.

I’m curious if I can master this style as well as I could do with other styles (1-handed, no thumb, 2 handed). Don’t get me wrong m here, I can throw each style but only for a average of 150. 1-handed is the best and the one I use most averaging 170 in my house league.
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Spinning can work on certain conditions. But I feel that learning to roll the ball with low rotation and ball speed can be a lot more beneficial and gives a lot more options for bowlers.
Jochemke

Post by Jochemke »

JimH wrote: If someone can achieve the same average with a one ball arsenal which is a light weight ball and has a low entry angle, I could equally ask what the goal is of having a six ball arsenal and attempting to understand changing lane conditions from shot to shot. The goal in bowling is to knock down more pins than the opposition, This style will not suit every bowler but it does suit some.
What kind of ball is better suited for this style or it doesn’t matter? Plastic vs Reactive.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

Jochemke wrote:What kind of ball is better suited for this style or it doesn’t matter? Plastic vs Reactive.
Plastic is mostly used. Bowling balls in light weight seldom have complex cores or aggressive cover stocks. As the ball tends to go straight and does not hook, plastic will satisfy the requirement.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Just happened across this, It's a closeup side view of the UFO release.

A right-handed bowler demonstrates the "UFO" or "helicopter" release. At the point of release, the thumb is closer to the body, while the middle and ring fingers face the pins.
Bowling-UFO-release.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
mosesn8

Post by mosesn8 »

Anyone in the Chicago area that can give a couple of lessons on how to bowl spinner style?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

The saying "Necessity is the mother of invention" applies, in other words, "find a way or invent one"
Things like lane conditions, physical stature, availability of versatile pro shops, probably contributed to the birth and popularity of this style.
Consider this technique as 1 stylistic arrow for a quiver of techniques.
The ball bounces around within the pin deck hopefully causing pins to hit other pins in a somewhat chaotic manner.
As has been stated, it's how many, not how. I see this as a viable option for some people.
I'm in favor of more people becoming bowler's and enjoying this great sport.

The Asian spinner might be Bowling's equivalent of baseball's knuckle ball ...

Take care y'all
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John