Roto Grip Hustle HYB

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

djcs1204
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Roto Grip Hustle HYB

Post by djcs1204 »

Is there any reason to own anything other than the HP1 Line?

My Hustle HYB drilled at 80x4 15/16x 30 (Numbers given by the proshop) is one of the strongest balls I've ever thrown. It just turns and hits like a stinking truck! Is also versatile considering that I can play down and in on the soup, and on the weaker THS patterns I can play 4th arrow and there's no difference in carry.

So my question is, are the high priced balls really THAT much better? Or, can someone create a very solid arsenal out of the lower priced "Entry level" HP1 line?
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Roto Grip Hustle HYB

Post by stevespo »

I threw my buddy's Hustle HYB last night after league and I immediately loved the reaction. It shaped up like my low flare/control IQ tour solid, which is how Luke Rosdahl described it as well. For a ball you can get new for $90, it seems like a no-brainer, if you like lower differential sym balls that shape like the IQ.

Even after 24 games of league, I could play straight up 2nd arrow or move into 3rd and 4th with recovery and carry. It looked way better than everything I tried last night, which included my Eternal Cell, IQ solid, Primo pearl, etc. Last night the condition was just funky for me.

All this with a span and layout that is not really ideal for me, but close enough to make it work. I liked it more than my SonIQ which for some reason I just haven't warmed up to, but need to give another chance. That HP1 price point sure is tempting!

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

I would tend to agree with the Hustle HYB and Ink as great price point balls. It's a wonder why many of the Storm/RG faithful even consider the higher price points unless the are speed dominant with low revs.

If I didn't love my Venom Shock and Freestyle Rush the HYB and Ink would be balls I would look at.
56bird

Post by 56bird »

I have the Hustle POW which is a pretty nice ball for lighter oil as long as you want the ball to *move* (urethane, it ain’t). I can see an Ink or HYB as good medium oil or benchmark pieces. Some might get consider moving up to a Show Off for heavy oil :) I almost went that way but people talked me into a top-shelf asym (Sure Lock). Tempted to get a Show Off anyways for what they cost, I got the All Out Show Off and that’s a nice piece.
djp1080
THS Average: 185
Heavy Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Dark Legend, Wreck-IT
Medium Oil Ball: Hy-Road, IQ Tour 30, Reign On, Byte, Code Black
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by djp1080 »

56bird, I've got the Hustle INK and the Son!Q. Won the Son!Q. Thought about getting the All-Out Show Off instead. Haven't warmed up to the Son!Q yet. After reading the BTM reviews I was a bit timid in getting a ball with the length rating of 17 as I tend to like the reaction of balls with ratings of about 13 to 15. After reading the posts here if I get another ball I should try the HYB. Thanks...
56bird

Post by 56bird »

djp1080 wrote:... Thought about getting the All-Out Show Off instead. Haven't warmed up to the Son!Q yet. After reading the BTM reviews I was a bit timid in getting a ball with the length rating of 17 as I tend to like the reaction of balls with ratings of about 13 to 15.
Keep in mind the AOSO comes in the 1500 polish OOB finish. I don’t read BTM reviews but if they are basing the length rating on OOB, they aren’t wrong. Spin it up with a 3000 or 4000 pad, and the two part solid/one part pearl cover can start to have some influence on length and shape. For me it’s a pretty nice benchmark look, which oddly has a little more overall motion than my Code Red, at least to my eyes.
djcs1204
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by djcs1204 »

720 after 3 with the HYB tonight. Standing on 25, using the Shift/Bowl method and playing 10 at the arrows. 6 or 7 at the break point. Ball was killing the pins the first 3. Then..... Transition. 613 last set.
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

scotts33 wrote:I would tend to agree with the Hustle HYB and Ink as great price point balls. It's a wonder why many of the Storm/RG faithful even consider the higher price points unless the are speed dominant with low revs.

If I didn't love my Venom Shock and Freestyle Rush the HYB and Ink would be balls I would look at.
I agree. If you're only bowling house shots, the HYB and the INK would make a very good budget arsenal.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Regarding my SonIQ, I threw it last night on a 40' THS with a high friction surface - and it looked great. Absolutely killed the shot just playing near the track for 2 games. This reduced the length and provided nice midlane control, but it still finished strong.

I think it would work fine on my longer (44'), low friction surface THS with a surface change. Part of my hesitancy with that piece probably had more to do with a thumb pitch change/experiment and not getting out as cleanly as I'd like. Probably time to slug it.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
djp1080
THS Average: 185
Heavy Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Dark Legend, Wreck-IT
Medium Oil Ball: Hy-Road, IQ Tour 30, Reign On, Byte, Code Black
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by djp1080 »

56bird,
By the way, I've been working on making proper use of my new Son!Q. I finally had to turn on my brain and think a bit about what I was seeing. Unfortunately it was a day after I had been at the lanes. I moved my laydown point from board 19 to board 16 and moved my target to board 10. I'm pretty sure that the THS we bowl on is from 9 to 9.
What a difference! During league I was lucky enough to have several lefties bowling with us and I could stay right there all night long. Got so much confidence that I was clean in both game #2 and game #3. Had two opens in game #1 though. :(
I think I'll keep the Son!Q for quite a while now.
Weakest part of my arsenal is for dry conditions where I have the Tropical Breeze, Hustle INK, Lights Out and Hy-Road to choose from.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

djcs1204 wrote:So my question is, are the high priced balls really THAT much better? Or, can someone create a very solid arsenal out of the lower priced "Entry level" HP1 line?
The short answer is Yes.

What I have found is the top of the line balls are listed for Heavy oil. My interpretation is that they are the oil suckers having a fast absorption rate. With due diligence of wiping off your ball before each shot a ball with a slower absorption rate, a ball listed for a lighter oil condition can be utilized on heavier oil.

Surface adjustments will usually be needed to make the lower price point balls better suited for the heavier condition.

Also, most of the High end balls are Asyms. Asymmetry can be achieved on the lower price point Symmetrical balls with proper layout and balance hole placement. Case in point, I made a Hammer Vibe more Asymmetrical than a Radical Tremendous. It ended with a faster spin time and more total hook. Granted this was at 13# so the Tremendous is not a Asymmetrical as its bigger brothers at the heavier weights.

I also believe that this is the case for any brand not just RotoGrip.
There are many gems that are in the lower price points.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand