please help

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
B3AGL3
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: March 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

please help

Post by B3AGL3 » March 6th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Hello I need a little help please. I drilled a 50x3.5"x45 yesterday. I love the layout and reaction. I'm slightly clipping my ring finger. There is a P2 hole .750oz taken out. I could go 1.5 oz to be zero.. should I take more off to pull the track away from the finger? Thanks for your help

more info: lefty, High track, PAP 4-3/4 over and 3/4 up
revs 250
speed 13-14
axis tilt?
axis rotation?
Last edited by B3AGL3 on March 6th, 2018, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B3AGL3
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: March 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Re: please help

Post by B3AGL3 » March 6th, 2018, 5:47 pm

I guess what I'm asking is.... Is it even possible to pull more weight out to move the track?

User avatar
MegaMav
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4538
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 5:00 am
THS Average: 230
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 Over 5/8 Up
Speed: 15.25 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - The Closer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswck - Forest Quantum
Light Oil Ball: DV8 - Poison Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies
Location: Malta, NY

Re: please help

Post by MegaMav » March 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm

B3AGL3 wrote:Hello I need a little help please. I drilled a 50x3.5"x45 yesterday. I love the layout and reaction. I'm slightly clipping my ring finger. There is a P2 hole .750oz taken out. I could go 1.5 oz to be zero.. should I take more off to pull the track away from the finger? Thanks for your help

more info: lefty, High track, PAP 4-3/4 over and 3/4 up
revs 250
speed 13-14
axis tilt?
axis rotation?
Your RING finger?
That PAP is not a high track, I recommend you remeasure.
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh

B3AGL3
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: March 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Re: please help

Post by B3AGL3 » March 6th, 2018, 7:44 pm

yes very edge of ring finger. mid/high

User avatar
MegaMav
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4538
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 5:00 am
THS Average: 230
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 Over 5/8 Up
Speed: 15.25 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - The Closer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswck - Forest Quantum
Light Oil Ball: DV8 - Poison Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies
Location: Malta, NY

Re: please help

Post by MegaMav » March 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm

B3AGL3 wrote:yes very edge of ring finger. mid/high
Dont you mean your middle finger?
If not show a picture of the track hitting the finger please.
I think your PAP measurement is off, and there is no reliable way to move the track without either altering your delivery or plug and redrill.
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh

The Kid
Member
Member
Posts: 347
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 5:26 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: please help

Post by The Kid » March 6th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Is it hitting the ring finger on the backend? Do you see oil lines going over it or what?

Maybe it's flaring over the hole on the backend.

User avatar
spmcgivern
Member
Member
Posts: 554
Joined: February 28th, 2011, 7:53 pm
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400
Location: Houston, TX

Re: please help

Post by spmcgivern » March 6th, 2018, 9:33 pm

The Kid wrote:Is it hitting the ring finger on the backend? Do you see oil lines going over it or what?

Maybe it's flaring over the hole on the backend.
This is my thought. Do you hear it in the heads or backend? Or do you hear it at all?

B3AGL3
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: March 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Re: please help

Post by B3AGL3 » March 6th, 2018, 10:43 pm

I meant ring finger. sorry. I hear it mid lane when I hear it at all. I track very close to ring finger and I can see the oil track. It's so close to missing that I don't hear it every shot.

B3AGL3
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: March 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Re: please help

Post by B3AGL3 » March 6th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Could I take more weight out and fix it?

User avatar
imagonman
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: January 21st, 2017, 5:18 pm
Preferred Company: Brunswick
Location: Cleveland Ohio

Re: please help

Post by imagonman » March 6th, 2018, 11:15 pm

B3AGL3 wrote:I meant ring finger. sorry. I hear it mid lane when I hear it at all. I track very close to ring finger and I can see the oil track. It's so close to missing that I don't hear it every shot.
Hello I need a little help please. I drilled a 50x3.5"x45 yesterday. I love the layout and reaction. I'm slightly clipping my ring finger.............
That's what you originally said!!????????? So you really meant MIDDLE??????

The Kid
Member
Member
Posts: 347
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 5:26 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: please help

Post by The Kid » March 6th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Is this right?
  • You are a 3/4 roller (i.e. your track is to the left of your middle finger and thumb)
  • You don't have this problem on other balls
  • This ball fits the same as your other balls
  • This ball flares a lot more than your other balls
If all that sounds right, then I would guess that this layout is not flare safe for you. Given what you've said, it *could* be that your PAP is incorrect or the layout is incorrect. Or you're unlucky.

I'd like to see a picture of the ball with oil tracks on it.

If it's just that you're flaring onto the ring finger, then one thing you could try is to drill the finger holes extra deep. That could lower the total differential enough to lower the flare.

B3AGL3
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: March 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Re: please help

Post by B3AGL3 » March 7th, 2018, 10:19 pm

it's clipping ring finger. I read the Mods reply and thought I listed the wrong finger.
will taking more weight out of the balance hole (P2) or any other hole can I move the track? 1/16 or 1/8 would get off of the ring finger. Thanks for the replies.


Also, one more question.... I have a friend that needs a layout to help his ball turn. he puts enough hand into it that would turn an average speed ball. he has to be over 20mph. The ball wants to turn but doesn't have time. does he need a layout to read as early as possible? maybe early/strong layout?

User avatar
MegaMav
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4538
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 5:00 am
THS Average: 230
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 Over 5/8 Up
Speed: 15.25 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - The Closer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswck - Forest Quantum
Light Oil Ball: DV8 - Poison Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies
Location: Malta, NY

Re: please help

Post by MegaMav » March 7th, 2018, 11:23 pm

You didnt post a picture like I asked you to.
If its the back flares, a P1 will tighten up the flare separation and it wont hit the finger hole on the backend.
If its the initial track, you've got yourself an over rolled full roller.
2 completely different situations.
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh

Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Posts: 477
Joined: January 24th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: please help

Post by Arkansas » March 8th, 2018, 7:30 pm

B3AGL3 wrote:Also, one more question.... I have a friend that needs a layout to help his ball turn. he puts enough hand into it that would turn an average speed ball. he has to be over 20mph. The ball wants to turn but doesn't have time. does he need a layout to read as early as possible? maybe early/strong layout?
Try a sanding the ball with fresh 500 pad.
James Talley

The Kid
Member
Member
Posts: 347
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 5:26 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: please help

Post by The Kid » March 8th, 2018, 9:04 pm

B3AGL3 wrote:it's clipping ring finger. I read the Mods reply and thought I listed the wrong finger.
will taking more weight out of the balance hole (P2) or any other hole can I move the track? 1/16 or 1/8 would get off of the ring finger. Thanks for the replies.
I don't think drilling the P2 deep will have much of an effect.

Try drilling the finger holes deeper. Do it in increments until the sound goes away.

Post Reply