THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Balance hole for Ridiculous Asym

Post by ads »

The current layout is 65 * 4 3/8 * 35. Experienced over and under. Sanded to #2000, smoother and more predictable .

Thinking of a balance hole, P1-P3 but don't know which to go for.

Also, the PSA is very close to the thumb hole which I guess the int diff has been increased. Will a P3 decrease the int. diff instead by shifting the PSA away from the big thumb hole?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Balance hole for Ridiculous Asym

Post by MegaMav »

P2 if you like the reaction as is.
ads

Post by ads »

With #2000, the ball motion is smoother and more predictable but a bit to the right , the ball loses energy and to the left, it jumps out of the pattern.

Thinking perhaps a P1 to tame it down and play straighter in dry outside boards, or a P3 to swing it on oil.

But as I said, the PSA is already close to the thumb hole, wonder if P3 is an effective choice.

What if a balance hole down VAL to get the ball rolls sooner?
Adrian
Right handed
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Ads,

I have the Ridiculous-ASYM drilled similarly at 60 x 4 x 40 with P3 at 1 x 3.

On the DeTerminator, the ball spins about 2.1-2.25 seconds, and the PSA is over the thumb hole (which kinda surprised me on my asym as the PSA usually doesn't move much or at all).

I've tried different surfaces but haven't found the one I like ...
I'm a high track stroker type of bowler who bowls a THC at 40-ft, 24 ml, wood back-ends and synthetic fronts.

I can't say the ball has been a good fit for me ...
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Glenn wrote:Ads,

On the DeTerminator, the ball spins about 2.1-2.25 seconds, and the PSA is over the thumb hole (which kinda surprised me on my asym as the PSA usually doesn't move much or at all).

I'm a high track stroker type of bowler who bowls a THC at 40-ft, 24 ml, wood back-ends and synthetic fronts.

How are you calculating spin time?
Ridiculous Asym is a very mild asymmetric. Its not surprising the PSA moved to the thumb hole.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Hi, Mav,

I am following (hopefully correctly – LOL) the information in the manual where I locate a mark 4-1/8 inch from the Pin and the Mass Bias positions. I place the ball in the machine with the MB toward the motor and the marked spot on the left axis locator column for a right-handed bowler on the machine. I turn on the machine, hesitate very briefly until the slow start up for the machine completes, start the stop watch, and measure the time it takes for the ball to reach its PSA (in this case the thumb hole). I admit that the spin up time seems very low for this ball, and I've questioned it, but it has been checked on several occasions and always comes in about 2.15 seconds on multiple readings. I forgot to mention that the undrilled (blank) ball was measured and it came in at about 6.5 seconds. In my 10-ball arsenal, it is the only one that measures this low – lower than my Marvel-S and Guru Mighty – and I have no explanation for it. Do you see anything wrong with my measuring technique – suggestions?
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Glenn wrote:Hi, Mav,

I am following (hopefully correctly – LOL) the information in the manual where I locate a mark 4-1/8 inch from the Pin and the Mass Bias positions. I place the ball in the machine with the MB toward the motor and the marked spot on the left axis locator column for a right-handed bowler on the machine. I turn on the machine, hesitate very briefly until the slow start up for the machine completes, start the stop watch, and measure the time it takes for the ball to reach its PSA (in this case the thumb hole). I admit that the spin up time seems very low for this ball, and I've questioned it, but it has been checked on several occasions and always comes in about 2.15 seconds on multiple readings. I forgot to mention that the undrilled (blank) ball was measured and it came in at about 6.5 seconds. In my 10-ball arsenal, it is the only one that measures this low – lower than my Marvel-S and Guru Mighty – and I have no explanation for it. Do you see anything wrong with my measuring technique – suggestions?
Make sure you are using the newly spun up PSA as the High RG axis mark and not the actual white pin.
Use that mark for the 4 1/8" neutral point between the Low and High RG axes. Its unclear from you post if thats how you did it.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

MegaMav wrote: Use that mark for the 4 1/8" neutral point between the Low and High RG axes.
I have always understood the distance from the low & high RG to be 4 1/8" just as you stated.

In the WIKI the Jayhawk instruction manual uses different numbers?

What am I overlooking?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

JMerrell wrote:
    I have always understood the distance from the low & high RG to be 4 1/8" just as you stated.

In the WIKI the Jayhawk instruction manual uses different numbers?

What am I overlooking?
    I noticed the same thing and contributed it to the Jayhawk instructions for an Un-drilled ball. Mo's instructions were for when he was spinning up drilled balls. I could be wrong but that is the way I rationalized it.

As long as you use the same mark, the results and comparisons from ball to ball the will be valid.
    Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
    PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
    45* rotation
    12* tilt
    330 rev rate
    16 mph off hand
    JMerrell
    Trusted Source
    Trusted Source
    Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
    Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
    Rev Rate: 230
    Axis Tilt: 20
    Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

EricHartwell wrote: As long as you use the same mark, the results and comparisons from ball to ball the will be valid.
    I agree
    -JMerrell
    "Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
    MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Jim,

I think that page from the manual is 70* spin time.
    4 1/8 neutral point is 60* IIRC.
    I dont know the rationale behind the difference.
    Mo uses 60* for drilled balls.
    ads

Post by ads »

Hi Glenn,

Original plan was a P3 hole but could run into illegal finger weight. Gave up and put a P 2.5 hole on it, 3/4" * 2.5". Tried it on house pattern (38 ft, 20.88mL) . More controllable and continuation at the back.
    Adrian
    Right handed
    Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Ads,

Yikes, I lied! I re-read my post here and realized I made a serious typo when I said the ball had a P3 balance hole – it does NOT – and I knew better but didn't catch it. The balance hole in this ball is between the gradient line and the VAL about 1-1/2 inches below the mid-line, and 1 x 3.
    So, I decided to re-measure everything about this ball, and take it back to the center to review how it plays on 2nd shift house conditions as I decided that I had not been playing it like I should.
    The original layout is 60 x 4 x 40 (sans balance hole) and the Differential Ratio indicates that it should have a smooth reaction.
    The OOB surface is P500/P4000, and I now keep the ball at this surface.
    Following the drilling and resulting shift in the PSA due to the balance hole, I re-measured the shifted layout to be 65 x 4.25 x 25 (90) with a spin-up time averaging 2.15 seconds – indicating a strong layout with a faster response to friction. If I have this right, the angle sum indicates a fairly balanced transition; the angle ratio implies a later roll and sharper/more angular; the drilling angle would give me a little more length and skid; the Pin-to-PAP suggests a medium track flare; and the VAL says faster response/transition to hook.
    I took this ball and a couple of others back to the center for review, and I only throw each ball for 5 frames before moving to the next ball. I stood at the 20-board, targeted the 10-board, threw a semi-roller release with my pinky tucked (more revs for me). The ball, bowler, and condition matched up well to the point I threw five consecutive strikes before retiring the ball and moving on to the next ball. The ball was smooth and made a very pronounced move at the friction – your mileage may vary (LOL).
    ads

Post by ads »

Yikes, I lied! I re-read my post here and realized I made a serious typo when I said the ball had a P3 balance hole – it does NOT – and I knew better but didn't catch it. The balance hole in this ball is between the gradient line and the VAL about 1-1/2 inches below the mid-line, and 1 x 3.
    So, I decided to re-measure everything about this ball, and take it back to the center to review how it plays on 2nd shift house conditions as I decided that I had not been playing it like I should.
    The original layout is 60 x 4 x 40 (sans balance hole) and the Differential Ratio indicates that it should have a smooth reaction.
    The OOB surface is P500/P4000, and I now keep the ball at this surface.
    Following the drilling and resulting shift in the PSA due to the balance hole, I re-measured the shifted layout to be 65 x 4.25 x 25 (90) with a spin-up time averaging 2.15 seconds – indicating a strong layout with a faster response to friction. If I have this right, the angle sum indicates a fairly balanced transition; the angle ratio implies a later roll and sharper/more angular; the drilling angle would give me a little more length and skid; the Pin-to-PAP suggests a medium track flare; and the VAL says faster response/transition to hook.
    I took this ball and a couple of others back to the center for review, and I only throw each ball for 5 frames before moving to the next ball. I stood at the 20-board, targeted the 10-board, threw a semi-roller release with my pinky tucked (more revs for me). The ball, bowler, and condition matched up well to the point I threw five consecutive strikes before retiring the ball and moving on to the next ball. The ball was smooth and made a very pronounced move at the friction – your mileage may vary (LOL).

Good lie :lol: We finally found a way to use the ball.

I think the skid flip characteristic is the out of the box design. For me, it was not very controllable on the house condition played. The balance hole and the #2000 grit surface tamped it down and gave it a smooth hooking motion which works better for me.
    Adrian
    Right handed