release problems

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

bowler1
Preferred Company: brunswick

release problems

Post by bowler1 »

I am a 67 y.o. bowler. Bowling for many years competitively. Speed is 14-15 off hand. 300 rev rate. I am having problems, but no consistently with the ball coming off my hand too soon. My track is about 3-4 inches from my thumb and fingers but when video, it doesn't look like I come around the ball. Span is 4 1/4 middle and 4 3/8 ring. I'm a lefty. Relaxed fit with limited grip pressure meaning I try not to grip at all. One minute the ball comes off well and not too early. The next I can't hold onto the ball no matter how tight the thumb is. I'm averaging around 210. It's just aggravating to shoot good one night and look like I just started the next. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: release problems

Post by MegaMav »

bowler1 wrote:I am a 67 y.o. bowler. Bowling for many years competitively. Speed is 14-15 off hand. 300 rev rate. I am having problems, but no consistently with the ball coming off my hand too soon. My track is about 3-4 inches from my thumb and fingers but when video, it doesn't look like I come around the ball. Span is 4 1/4 middle and 4 3/8 ring. I'm a lefty. Relaxed fit with limited grip pressure meaning I try not to grip at all. One minute the ball comes off well and not too early. The next I can't hold onto the ball no matter how tight the thumb is. I'm averaging around 210. It's just aggravating to shoot good one night and look like I just started the next. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Are you using tape in your thumb hole? If so, where and how much?
bowler1

Post by bowler1 »

I have never used very much due to I have my thumb holes tight to keep from gripping the ball. I put n up to 5 pieces of black tape in the back. Had to cram my thumb in and still fell out of the ball. Thanks for replying.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

You may have a cone thumb or an hourglass thumb.
I have the same problems, both on the same thumb, its very frustrating.
I experimented with smaller thumb holes, started hanging in the ball, now I am injured from it.
Be careful.
bowler1

Post by bowler1 »

Thanks for the reply. They say my thumb is the same. I bowled tonight and used a different ball and didn't drop as much. I'm going to have the pitches checked. Also may take a video and post. Maybe looking will help some. Thanks again.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Compare the thumb forward/reverse pitch on the two thumb holes. Also look at the amount of bevel and the lateral pitches. -- JohnP
bowler1

Post by bowler1 »

Thank you Mr. John P. I will check the pitches today after work and see, if any, what the difference is. Thank you for your comment.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

bowler1 wrote:I have never used very much due to I have my thumb holes tight to keep from gripping the ball. I put n up to 5 pieces of black tape in the back. Had to cram my thumb in and still fell out of the ball. Thanks for replying.
Never been a proponent of Black Electrical tape in the thumb hole.

Why put an extremely slick tape in a ball you're trying to hold onto!

Makes the hole tighter...yes....but also a slicker surface than even the drilled hole.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
bowler1

Post by bowler1 »

Thank you for the reply sir. Never even thought about that before. So, would you just use maybe white rhumb tape in the front? I've been told that if you use too much it would change the feel. Is that true? I am checking the pitches today. Been out of town working. Thanks again for your advice sir.