Biggest comebacks after a bad first game.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Biggest comebacks after a bad first game.

Post by krava »

I went back 10 pages and didn't see a topic like this. I think a lot of people bowl a bad game and then think the entire night is going to be bad so they sort of give up. I don't like giving up. So it might be an idea to see what some of people's best comebacks are and maybe a story behind it.

I would say mine is tonight. Started with 147 then 227 then 257 ended with 631.

Story: I have been having extreme issues with Thursday lane condition. Thought up a game plan. Started in practice with a Storm Timeless 500 grit 30 seconds on spinner 1500 grit for 10 seconds on both sides of the ball no polish. I threw this ball across 10 to 8 on Wed and nailed the pocket all night. Thurs 1st ball hit the marks and finished off taking out the 6 pin. Storm Hy-road threw down 7 took out the 3 pin (no where near the head pin). Balls thrown between 2nd and 3rd were squirty and hooked Brooklyn. Went back right with practice and grabbed the strongest ball I have. Radical Guru supreme drilled for max backend and stood straight and threw the ball down 7 slower and hit the pocket. The only place I have ever used the ball was in nationals and also trying to play deep in Dallas. Shots started off exactly this. X X 10 pin(adjusted) 10 pin(adjusted) pocket 8-10 (hit 10 instead of 8) etc Missed 2 10 pins, missed the split, left a sleeper pin that I couldn't see and got the 1st one etc. 2nd game I gave the ball a little loft to try to get it to start earlier Clean game. 3rd game 2nd frame left a solid 10 missed it otherwised would had the 1st 10 in that game.

The lane condition is basically exactly like nationals but not quite as wet on 5 to the gutter. Everyone that hooked the ball did bad. 204 Average Sub (I guess it was a sub) shot 503. 186 average bowler (my nearest threat), shot 400. He usually plays 3rd arrow out to the gutter and back in. he had to bowl 1st arrow or between 1st and 2nd arrow and threw it in the gutter a lot and also missed a ton of spares that he threw a hook at and missed them right due to lack of hook. 174 average bowler that goes between 2nd and 3rd shot 491. The only people that did decent was the ones that usually throw it between 1st and 2nd and \ to the left. The woman on the other team that is a coach (she said), was using a hypercell. She threw the ball between 2nd and 3rd and it slid all the way down hit the 3 with no turn to the head pin at all. The proshop owner had a 230 average (9 game average), shot 520 or so on it last week on Thursday for his makeup Wednesday league. I put on my expensive bowling shirt that I got in Las Vegas this summer, expensive white slacks got sort of dressed up for this. I usually wear a $4 Walmart teenage mutant ninja turtle shirt or something and my $8 camouflage PJ pants. It was embarrassing as hell to shoot that first game. I am still in awe at how is this possible. I had 0 NONE drops of oil or rings on my ball. It is like there is an oil flood down there but it won't stay on the ball. Everyone said there was a ton of oil because how strong the reflection off the lanes were. Proof of things can be found here: https://www.leaguesecretary.com/bowling ... l/21/59829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lane #19 last bowler, This guy throws the ball in the track area and he didn't know how to adjust and almost never hit the pocket. 140 average and throws 97. Everyone struggled that threw a hook. A guy that does no thumbs with probably 450+ rev rate hit the pocket but he had to move from 3rd arrow to between 1st and 2nd to get it there. he got his average once by 3 pins the last game -40 in the series.
LookingForALeftyWall

Re: Biggest comebacks after a bad first game.

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

krava wrote:I put on my expensive bowling shirt that I got in Las Vegas this summer, expensive white slacks got sort of dressed up for this. I usually wear a $4 Walmart teenage mutant ninja turtle shirt or something and my $8 camouflage PJ pants.
This is the best part of the whole post.

However, I'll bite on the rest of it. A few weeks back I started off dreadfully and went back 4 for a not so bad 190 after realizing a pair of lanes are not a pair (Thanks Rob Mautner???). Shot 267 and 258 in games 2 and 3 for 715.

A friend of mine went 146-255-258 last week.

Also, this past week, while bowling on Middle Road (a challenging but not too tough pattern) I shot 141-184-207-226.
krava wrote:I don't like giving up. .
Neither do I.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

When you said that you didn't treat them as a pair, how far off where the lanes? I am probably doing something wrong but I didn't treat mine the same either but I was only 1 board left of the other with the same points. When I say how far off. Where were you playing on the left compared to the right and did it stay that way the entire night?
teedawg

Post by teedawg »

Back in the mid-90s I shot my first ever 300 game with a ball I had won in a raffle at the local center. Nearly shot another the next week and of course I was in love with ball reaction (an Ebonite Turbo X ) - couldn't pry that ball away from me and I just wanted to see that same motion every time out. A few weeks later when the condition didn't match up very well for that ball I remained stubborn, believing if I just threw it better or made the right adjustment I could keep throwing my new 'favorite' -- and stubborn resulted in a 138 opening game. There were just enough decent shots ( a blower 7-10, a hard charging 4-9 ) to allow me to convince myself that I could 'make it work'. Whiffed a ring 10, couple more mistakes that finished too strong -- c'mon, you've gotta get out of this ball and use something else or your teammates are going to put you on waivers. After game 1 was over I pulled out my trusty Red Pearl Hammer and finished that night with 267 and 289. At least my teammates were happy that I made the switch -- the guys we were bowling against that night kept telling "get that blue ball back out " :)
pjape

Post by pjape »

Here's the biggest comeback I ever witnessed.

Several years ago, my anchor started out very bad for him. His score in the sixth frame of game one was 84. He changed balls, moved in deep, and threw 30 strikes in a row, giving him 204, 300, 300.

It was simply amazing to watch.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

TeeDawg: I bet you wish you would have seen what you would have scored if you used that ball the whole night.

Pjape: I call that more of "starting late", but that is the best finish I ever heard of. I have only seen 1 300 thrown before besides my own. I never got close to seeing anyone ever getting 2 back to back. I haven't witnessed more then 12-13 in a row that I can remember.
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

Not sure if proud or ashamed of this, but I had 146-256-300 once. Didn't make a ball change, just removed head from you know where and things clicked.
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

179 204 141 169 157 165 300 172, 185avg. Ball change for the 300, ball to normal last game. I went from 10th to 3rd.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

I shouldn't have posted in this thread. I jinxed myself Friday night and went 151-245-213.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

We joke about this +/- 100 pins as the "Century Club".

I've done it a few times.

Most memorable was 184-289-182. Terrible start with 4 splits in the first 6 frames, then I struck last 5 or 6 for 184. Continued with the front 10 for 289, then followed that up with 182. I completely lost the left lane. Just couldn't carry that last game.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
teedawg

Post by teedawg »

We do the same thing here in my area, Stevespo -- we joke about getting a Century Patch for shooting 100 pins or more over your previous game, or a negative patch for 100 under ( or the equivalent of tearing OFF a previously earned patch).

I would have qualified for the positive patch last week on Monday when I started my day with a miserable 134 game, switched balls and finished the day with 246 - 223. At least I went in the better of the two directions for the remainder of the day.

The embarrassment felt during my first game of that day was sufficiently erased on Wednesday when I managed to pop a 300 game in the middle of a 743 series. At age 65 it's still a treat to shoot 300, and this was the first time I have done so using a different ball on each lane.
Ddupart58

Post by Ddupart58 »

I had a great example of this about a year ago. I started out in my Monday night league using my Radical Primo Solid and had a nice line to the pocket. Everything was easy - first game results - 269. Near the end of that game some of my strikes in the 9th and 10th seemed a little sketchy (slightly high, slightly light, crazy messengers, etc.), so I thought I might need to change balls to get a more consistent look.

I switched to my Storm Snap Lock to try to go a little longer before making the move to the pocket, but couldn't find the strike zone if my life depended on it. Tried moving all over the place, changing ball speed, hand position, etc. with no luck. I stuck with that ball way too long and got very frustrated. Second game results - 143.

I figured I'd blown my chance at a 700 for the night, so I relaxed the third game, went back to the first ball and rolled a 279 the last game. I guess that just proves that some times you can get to smart for your own good. As they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I always wonder if I might have bowled my first ever 800 series if I had only stayed with the Primo Solid the whole night.
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

Piggybacking on this -

I cannot recall the answer to the first post question. I am sure it is a 100 plus pins

However, one that I mentally keep track of - the smallest first game in which I bowled a 700 series

and the smallest first game in which I bowled a 800 series.

The answers are a 180 plus game for the 700 plus
series

(My son has a 160 plus, 289, 300)

For me 800 series

222, 290, 290 = 802 ( 2008)

What are yours?
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Last night in league started with a 150 game. Wrong ball and I could only get a board or two of reaction. Switch balls and finished with 242 so almost a 100 pin jump. Last game I stayed with the same ball and lost the reaction and finished with a sub 180 game. While I didn't come close to average except being over in the 2nd game it shows that not only ball choice but line choice is important as well.

I should have stayed right all night and just cut down on rotation and tilt while maintaining or increasing ball speed. Lesson well learned. If the line you are playing is not giving you a good look make extreme moves. The line I was trying to play was around the middle. Only thing is was the shot was over under. So my only other options were way in and slow loop the ball, or way out and pick up ball speed. I went out and had I made that decision earlier, probably would've had a decent night of 650 or so.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

This isn't much of a comeback but I have seen most people blame the ball or playing the wrong part of the lane.

Thursday 1st game bowled correctly but left 6 9 counts in 1 game. 3-4 10 pins, 4 pin etc. Ended up clean with 2 doubles for around 226 I think. Then started 2nd game with 3 7 counts in the first 5 frames and on top of that chopped 2 of the 3 leaves. (missed the mark right each time to get 7 count). I had to think about it and noticed the ball wasn't rolling like it is suppose to (lower revs), I wasn't staying behind the ball and had a broken wrist for those shots. Fixed it and ended up 191. 3rd game started with 1st 5 then remembered on 3rd strike I got the ball a little fast but it hit the pocket good. On 4th shot ball got high on the other lane so I was worried should I move or keep the speed up. Went up with the intention of throwing the ball faster but pulled it left instead and left 1. Moved 1/2 board on the other lane X then also moved 1/2 board on the other lane instead of throwing it fast and X and went out to 11th frame and then stuck at the foul line somehow and got 266. But I was in the same spot, same board same mark the entire 3 games. I only moved 1/2 board 6th frame of last game and that was it.

how do you start off throwing the ball right and then forget to stay behind the ball the next game?