Slide Stone Question

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

justjonny
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 mph at the pindeck
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: 3-D Offset, Black Widow 2.0
Medium Oil Ball: Rattler, Stealth
Light Oil Ball: GB4 Pearl
Preferred Company: Brunswick Brands

Slide Stone Question

Post by justjonny »

Has anyone heard if the slide stones have become illegal to use similar to easy slide?
I had a customer come in to my shop and he said another bowler told him it's illegal to use.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Slide Stone Question

Post by bowl1820 »

justjonny wrote:Has anyone heard if the slide stones have become illegal to use similar to easy slide?
I had a customer come in to my shop and he said another bowler told him it's illegal to use.
The use of a Slide Stone or Easy Slide is not actually illegal (Unless the League/Tournament has a rule against it's use.), What is illegal is getting something on the approach.

So unless someone complains, you can use it.

Rule 12 – Approaches Must Not Be Defaced
The application of any foreign substance on any part of the approach that detracts from the possibility of other players having normal conditions is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, talcum powder, pumice and resin on shoes, and/or soft rubber soles or heels that rub off on the approach.

Commonly Asked Question – Rule 12.
12/1 One of the bowlers is having a difficult time sliding on the approach and applies a
commercial product purchased at the center pro shop to the bottom of his/her shoes.
The product is designed to help a bowler slide. The secretary says she has received a
complaint from the opposing team and notifies the individual to stop using the
substance or the game will be forfeited. Can an officer tell a bowler to stop using the
substance and declare the game forfeited?
Commercial products, talcum powder or any substance applied to the shoe or approach could
be in violation of Rule 12. If a league participant uses a substance and somebody complains
that it prohibits him/her from having normal conditions, the league officer should require the
individual to immediately stop his/her action. If the individual refuses, his/her games are
subject to forfeiture.

The Brunswick Slide Stone is just soapstone which is a mineral talc and is way safer to use than Easy slide.

The Brunswick Slide Stone patent:
https://www.google.com/patents/US20050177963

The slidestone is just a couple of pieces of Soapstone attached to a piece of molding.

Soapstone has been used for years by bowlers for adding slide to their sole. It's not messy like easy slide and lasts a long time. Plus you can rub it on your thumb also if your sticking some.

This is my quick do it yourself slidestone!

1 small piece of wood/molding and a couple of pieces of soapstone and some adhesive:

The Brunswick version is about $9.

I bought a package of soapstone for $3 at lowes (in the welding supplies), which is enough to make about 8 or 10 DIY's.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."