How do I re-train myself to stop sliding through release?

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

Bahshay

How do I re-train myself to stop sliding through release?

Post by Bahshay »

Title pretty much says it all.

I slide all the way through my release. I didn’t used to, and I’m not sure exactly when I developed it. I realize that’s not necessarily an issue, even for power players - Kyle Troup and Robert Smith come to mind. However, for me, I feel like the lack of a base at my release point Is a detriment to a consistent release.

Any good drills for re-training my muscle memory on this? I can plant and throw when I need to loft, but I like having a functional knee so I’d rether not plant full-time. But I’m having a hard time getting a feel for simply sliding less - using a less slippery heel to stop myself just makes me feel like I’m going to face plant.

I’ve got about 3 solid months of practice until nationals, and I want to have this change locked in by then.
Last edited by Bahshay on January 16th, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Re: How do I re-train myself to stop sliding before release?

Post by ads »

Have you checked the traction of the heel of your sliding shoe?
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
Bahshay

Re: How do I re-train myself to stop sliding before release?

Post by Bahshay »

ads wrote:Have you checked the traction of the heel of your sliding shoe?
Adrian,

Because I need my slide to be long in order to continue through release, I typically use a Leading Edge heel with the rubber back and adjustable front strip. I got this heel as self-preservation - I slide long and needed a heel that allows that.

As I mentioned in the OP, I feel like I am going to face plant if I use a less slippery heel. That heel in theory stops me correctly, but muscle memory doesn't want me to stop there, so I feel like I'm stopping way short. As I said, I'm looking for good drills to re-train that muscle memory.
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: How do I re-train myself to stop sliding through release

Post by JMerrell »

Long slides are usually the by-product of not getting your body transferred to the slide foot soon enough.

Practicing the one-step drill is a good way to feel the weight being transferred correctly to the slide foot.

In the attached video there is a 2" piece of PVC pipe under the right foot of the athlete.

This helps to place the center of gravity of the body slightly forward and helps prevent the body weight from staying back on the right side (a contributor to a long slide) as the slide begins.

Getting your body weight onto the slide foot before the ball reaches the slide foot will shorten the length of the slide.
[youtube][/youtube]
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Bahshay

Post by Bahshay »

Jim,

Thank you. I’m not sure exactly how to apply your advice. I do one step drills often, but clearly I am messing up the weight transfer in those as well.

I’ve attached a side view video. I’m hopeful you can point me to the part in the approach where I’ve gone wrong.

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/q6fYmsFD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAP- 4 1/8 over, 3/4 up
Speed - 17-18 monitor
Rev Rate - 475
Rotation - 65
Tilt - 12
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Bahshay wrote:Jim,

Thank you. I’m not sure exactly how to apply your advice. I do one step drills often, but clearly I am messing up the weight transfer in those as well.

I’ve attached a side view video. I’m hopeful you can point me to the part in the approach where I’ve gone wrong.
Obviously, you have spent some time with Ron, not sure what you guys are working on.

Your physical game looks pretty solid and your slide in this video doesn't look too long.

Since you asked I will give you my opinion.

1) Let's start by looking at the video at the completion of your fourth step.

2) Your back angle is approximately 35 degrees at this point.

3) If you now stop your video when your downswing is parallel to the floor, there is still body weight remaining on your right foot and your body weight is somewhat centered between your feet.

4) By the time the ball reaches your ankle, you have lost some of your back angle (now approx. 25 degrees).

5) I teach that the angle of the back at the completion of the fourth step should be the same angle during release.

6) This will happen automatically if we transfer weight to the slide leg correctly.

7) Weight back on the trailing leg will straighten the back angle.

Set you back angle at address in the one step position first without a ball.

Then do the one-step drill trying to maintain your back angle thru release.

You can only maintain your back angle if you transfer weight to the slide foot correctly.

After a couple of trial runs, add the ball to the drill.

You can monitor this with video.

Sorry, I don't use Hudl.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
LittleTiger

Post by LittleTiger »

Bahshay wrote:Because I need my slide to be long in order to continue through release, I typically use a Leading Edge heel with the rubber back and adjustable front strip. I got this heel as self-preservation - I slide long and needed a heel that allows that.
Have you tried to use shoe brush to that heel? Maybe that would be enough.

I would also try with H5 Saw Tooth Heel.
Bahshay wrote:As I mentioned in the OP, I feel like I am going to face plant if I use a less slippery heel. That heel in theory stops me correctly, but muscle memory doesn't want me to stop there, so I feel like I'm stopping way short. As I said, I'm looking for good drills to re-train that muscle memory.
New heel will feel anyway bit weird for while until that gets a little bit dirty and start slide bit more. Use that on practice and go slow and without ball first.

JMerrell wrote:Long slides are usually the by-product of not getting your body transferred to the slide foot soon enough.
Probably offtopic for Bahshay because he wants to do long slide but I'm just saying there is most probably multiple ways to look this.
I have trained to do this other way around where I keep weight on back feet as long as possible and then I'm using least sliding (shoe S2 and heel H2) to force weight move slide foot fast enough.
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

Now THIS is a looong slide:

[youtube][/youtube]
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

I slide nearly that much. And with today's entertainment based bowling centers, the approaches are not as consistent as they used to be. I seem to have trouble every-other week with my approach. I am very susceptible to approach issues.

This is why I am adamant about breaking in every slide sole and heel I have for my shoes. I will have to change soles more often than most and nothing upsets me more than a sole I need to use not being broken in meaning I may not be able to use it.

If you think you will change soles, then break them in before you need to use it.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

G'day Bahshay, attached is some info for you to consider, looking at what Jim mentioned and a few other factors.

Dean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor