Adjusting BEFORE Disaster Strikes

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Adjusting BEFORE Disaster Strikes

Post by MegaMav »

TomaHawk wrote:our business is full of different types of personalities. Some are relatively quiet, some feel the urge to describe every single detail they encounter, then there is the person who seems to grasp everything and expresses it with the appropriate amount of feedback.
A good majority of these personalities process information at different rates. Usually for the better and integrate the information into the playing field. Then there is krava, master of all, king of board 8 and the hardest stiff arm to good information I've ever seen. This bowler should be open to as much information as possible so the big fish can some day find himself in a pond larger than a mixed church league to measure his true ability.
TomaHawk wrote:Mega, I'm thinking your response is pretty much, tongue in cheek.
It is. However, dont think some on here havent contacted me asking for intervention.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

My thoughts:
As long as a poster isn't mean or profane I'd leave him/her on. Anyone can choose to simply not read his posts. If anything, add an "Ignore Poster" option, then if you so choose you never even see the offender's posts. -- JohnP
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

I dont see where he has violated TOS, unless I didnt read them carefully enough.

People can choose to ignore his post.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

JohnP wrote:My thoughts:
As long as a poster isn't mean or profane I'd leave him/her on. Anyone can choose to simply not read his posts. If anything, add an "Ignore Poster" option, then if you so choose you never even see the offender's posts. -- JohnP
We have one, its on each member's profile page.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

The first time I read a krava statement, it was interesting in a weird sort of way. Pretty well written and incredibly lengthy, I thought, this guy is a great typist! Kind of disregarded what he actually wrote ;)

I have named it: The Krava Saga

He is the a prime example of living the Dream. It can be somewhat annoying at times, but it reminds me so much of where I came from. The first person who taught me the game said, "You just gotta figure out what really matters".
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

TomaHawk wrote:I have named it: The Krava Saga
I'll call it The Diary of Krava The Eighth (board).
I think he uses BowlingChat as a diary, and im fine with that, but asking for help understanding something, getting it from qualified individuals here then just blow it off as if its not possible he's not understanding bowling as a whole. It takes an incredibly long time to understand bowling as a whole. I've been drinking this game since 5 and have been fortunate to hang out with some really great people in the game and learn a lot and im not even close! Always learning, always growing!

I think the moment we realize we dont know something the motivation to learn should begin.
Bowlmole

Post by Bowlmole »

MeNoRevs wrote:People can choose to ignore his post.
JohnP wrote:Anyone can choose to simply not read his posts. JohnP
May I suggest to do what I am doing i.e. I am doing exactly the above. This is much better, more stylish and more fair than blocking or banning this poor gentleman, who simply has a lot of problems and questions but a very strange way to appreciate the time and efforts other people are investing to help him.

By not reading or not responding, two messages will be given:
1) Kindly shorten your postings by 95%
2) Please think, rethink and think again before you answer (using 100 words max!)

Banning or blocking would be too low of a response.

Bowlmole
MALT

Post by MALT »

MegaMav wrote:

It is. However, dont think some on here havent contacted me asking for intervention.
Yeah, but you gotta admit he is entertaining in a sick, frustrating sort of way??????
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

MALT wrote: Yeah, but you gotta admit he is entertaining in a sick, frustrating sort of way??????
OR SOMETHING!
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by flibblesh »

MegaMav wrote:
OR SOMETHING!
The thread about beating his grandma surrogate in league has to be a bowlingchat top 5 moments contender for sure.
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Lane Play & Adjustments

Excerpt
Chris Barnes: How many times have you been bowling in league or a tournament think you throw in a great shot that suddenly goes high and you didn't expect it?

The most experienced players that are the most successful anticipate these Lane changes and are able to move before they actually happen.

[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Even great bowlers miss the move and it depends on their basic game exactly how they are going to make a move. For example, a well known and highly regarded PBA member was on a string, next shot, 4-6-7-10. What happened? They stayed on the shot as long as they possibly could. Why? Because the next move would not have been in the comfort zone for their particular game. But, the move was necessary.

So, they moved. Washout.

The next move is what separates winners from non-winners. The bowler moved back to the original starting position, stood a little higher at the line which created "loft". End result, struck out.

It is important to understand, the last six frames are more critical than the first six. That is where the truly talented bowlers will shine.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

TomaHawk,

I had a similar experience in a 2nd-shift league this week, but I am NOT near PBA skill level. The league that plays before us is a higher average league who tends to play more to the inside. The players in my league will tend to start out playing up the 10-board. I usually need to find a line left of the players in my league, but forced to stay right of the deeper track created by the previous league and then I move left as the series progresses.

I started out the 1st game with a spare and 5 strikes. I always consider a move in the 6-7 frame as conditions usually change for me. Sure enough, starting in the 7th frame the lanes moved away from me and I had trouble with nasty splits and finding the new line. I moved a little left and forward, recovered, and closed out game 1 with a 4-bagger in the 9th and 10th frame for a 203. All bowler scores were down, and my 203 was high game.

Game 2 started out ugly and no change seemed to help - lost 4 frames to nasty splits. The next mistake I made was a ball change from a higher RG sym ball to a more aggressive lower RG asym ball; and more frames lost to splits. The end result was an awful 143 (all scores were down below 200 but mine was one of the worst) - 60 pins difference !

For the 3rd game, I returned to my sym ball, moved more inside, stood forward on my approach, and used a quick release that feels very good with this ball. Game 3 ended with a 255 - BIG difference over game 2.

Of course, everybody had a good laugh about how I could be so inconsistent as to have a series like 203-143-255. I suffer a lot from the 2nd game blues ... and I continue to work on a cure for these blues. LOL!
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

MegaMav wrote:
We have one, its on each member's profile page.
It says a lot about the quality of posters on Bowling Chat and for Mav's management of the site that I've never looked to see if a poster can be ignored. On another site I visit I've probably got over 20 posters ignored. -- JohnP
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

JohnP wrote:
It says a lot about the quality of posters on Bowling Chat and for Mav's management of the site that I've never looked to see if a poster can be ignored. On another site I visit I've probably got over 20 posters ignored. -- JohnP
Thank you John! No bull! Just bowling!
pjape

Post by pjape »

Glenn wrote:TomaHawk,

I had a similar experience in a 2nd-shift league this week, but I am NOT near PBA skill level. The league that plays before us is a higher average league who tends to play more to the inside. The players in my league will tend to start out playing up the 10-board. I usually need to find a line left of the players in my league, but forced to stay right of the deeper track created by the previous league and then I move left as the series progresses.

I started out the 1st game with a spare and 5 strikes. I always consider a move in the 6-7 frame as conditions usually change for me. Sure enough, starting in the 7th frame the lanes moved away from me and I had trouble with nasty splits and finding the new line. I moved a little left and forward, recovered, and closed out game 1 with a 4-bagger in the 9th and 10th frame for a 203. All bowler scores were down, and my 203 was high game.

Game 2 started out ugly and no change seemed to help - lost 4 frames to nasty splits. The next mistake I made was a ball change from a higher RG sym ball to a more aggressive lower RG asym ball; and more frames lost to splits. The end result was an awful 143 (all scores were down below 200 but mine was one of the worst) - 60 pins difference !

For the 3rd game, I returned to my sym ball, moved more inside, stood forward on my approach, and used a quick release that feels very good with this ball. Game 3 ended with a 255 - BIG difference over game 2.

Of course, everybody had a good laugh about how I could be so inconsistent as to have a series like 203-143-255. I suffer a lot from the 2nd game blues ... and I continue to work on a cure for these blues. LOL!
Hey, this happens, even at the PBA level. Several years ago, when I bowled on Friday nights, I would periodically go into the pro shop to check the PBA scores. I'll never forget when I went in and saw that Wes Malott had just shot a 114 game! I think the last time I had a game that low was my first year of bowling, and I'm on the opposite end of the bowling talent scale from Wes Malott!
LittleTiger

Post by LittleTiger »

JohnP wrote:My thoughts:
As long as a poster isn't mean or profane I'd leave him/her on. Anyone can choose to simply not read his posts.
I agree with John about this. Everyone should be allowed to post their questions/comments/thoughts as long they are not mean or profane.

I have also got some negative reputation just because of I have questioned some things which are commonly agreed here. I do that because it is my way to learn new stuff and it is up to everyone to decide if they want to read or ignore my posts. And is also one of the reasons why I'm not given up with krava (at least yet).

What comes to the topic itself exercise which Rob explained on first post is a very good idea and I definitely will try it. I also think that it maybe should be added to wiki too?
56bird

Post by 56bird »

I like it. Brings a little bit of chess-player mentality into the game. In a typical four-man league, you’re going to have seven 1st shots on the lane you just left before you get back to, plus spare shots. If it’s the tenth and you are the anchor, since you’ve been on your finishing lane the opponents have had four 1st shots on that lane and your teammates have had as many as nine (!).
crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Post by crashin12x »

How about for the lefties who have few or none at all in the pair except him/her? What other things he/she should be watching aside from the ball motion down the lane and the way the ball enters the rack?
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*
56bird

Post by 56bird »

crashin12x wrote:How about for the lefties who have few or none at all in the pair except him/her? What other things he/she should be watching aside from the ball motion down the lane and the way the ball enters the rack?
If I am understanding Rob's OP, for the purposes of this exercise it doesn't matter which side you bowl on. You are not trying to determine what you're adjustments are going to be (I mean, hopefully you ARE, but...) You are trying to train your brain to watch what is happening on both sides of the lane and predict what will happen to the bowlers on your pair.

If you're in a league where you really get to know the bowlers (especially your teammates), you will figure out who is going to make some sort of adjustment more often than not, and who is going to keep throwing at the same spot and come back angry and confused when it stops working.

I would think the ultimate goal is indeed to get better at predicting when you will need to move even without that oh-so-helpful trip-four (trip-six for y'all) or mixing strike. But you do this by absorbing (in this case, learning to predict) what happens on the lane no matter what side, what skill level, what rev rate and line, etc.