Questions on grip setups

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

JayTee

Questions on grip setups

Post by JayTee »

Here is my situation:
I am a 57-year-old rookie. I began bowling one month ago, and have been using house balls at three different venues. My focus so far has just been getting my steps and timing down, and hitting my targets. I think I’m doing OK for a beginner, bowled a 140 average for a three-game set recently and somehow managed a 177 in a game last week. Obviously I’m using strictly a straight ball and using a conventional grip (and it’s always a crap shoot to find a house ball that fits decently). So, now I’m ready to move on and begin to learn a hook shot.
I have purchased a standard plastic ball to use in the interim and to use later when I might want a spare/straight ball to at least pick off corner pins. I am going to get an entry-level hook ball to begin the next step. Neither ball has been drilled. Both will be the same weight.
My questions:
I am going to go fingertip grip with inserts for the hook ball. Now, for the straight ball, should I have it drilled exactly to match the hook ball – fingertip grip with inserts? (From what I’ve read and heard, it seems consensus is to use the same setup for both balls but I had one pretty good bowler advise not to use a fingertip setup for the straight ball).
Is there any disadvantage of using a fingertip grip with inserts for a straight ball as compared to a conventional grip? Should my straight ball and hook ball indeed be set up the same, both with fingertip grip and inserts? Does it matter?
Also curious as to what to expect going from a conventional grip to fingertip, how different it is and how difficult or easy the transition typically is.
Thanks in advance for advice. Any feedback or tips greatly appreciated.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Re: Questions on grip setups

Post by ads »

Moving from conventional to finger tip is a big move which involves quite a lot of changes in your physical game. The way you release a conventional grip ball is very different from a finger tip one. I suggest you to get a coach to assist you to get a good ball fit and proper training. Otherwise, the transition could be long and painful.

Back to your question. Same fitting (and good fitting) will give you same feel from both balls. Repeating shot is more likely. On the other hand, a finger-tip spare ball can hook if a strong enough release combines with on lane friction. That's why you got advice to stay with conventional drilled spare ball which takes out the release factor from the equation. My experience is, unless you ball speed is really slow or the lane has a lot of friction. The spare ball should go pretty straight or hooks just a little.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

JayTree welcome to BowlingChat. Like ads said, working with a qualified coach is the fastest route to bowl better, the reason is that it is easier to learn when you haven't already developed bad habits. Before I recommend a fingertip grip I would like to see a side and back video of you bowling. The release is the last thing one should be concerned about when learning how to bowl because everything that comes before it will affect it, we first need to make sure you are consistently getting into a good leverage position before releasing the ball.

Do you have any injuries or conditions? What ball weight are you using?

Please post your videos in the certified coaching section. If you are already working with a qualified coach and he or she recommended going fingertip then follow his or her advice, if not I would first make sure that is what you need now. Many go fingertip too early to learn how to hook it and spend more time doing so if their approach and swing are still not solid.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
JayTee

Post by JayTee »

ads wrote:Moving from conventional to finger tip is a big move which involves quite a lot of changes in your physical game. The way you release a conventional grip ball is very different from a finger tip one. I suggest you to get a coach to assist you to get a good ball fit and proper training. Otherwise, the transition could be long and painful.

Back to your question. Same fitting (and good fitting) will give you same feel from both balls. Repeating shot is more likely. On the other hand, a finger-tip spare ball can hook if a strong enough release combines with on lane friction. That's why you got advice to stay with conventional drilled spare ball which takes out the release factor from the equation. My experience is, unless you ball speed is really slow or the lane has a lot of friction. The spare ball should go pretty straight or hooks just a little.
Thanks much for the input. Makes sense. I do plan to setup both the same way, and get some coaching as well in the transition.
JayTee

Post by JayTee »

TonyPR wrote:JayTree welcome to BowlingChat. Like ads said, working with a qualified coach is the fastest route to bowl better, the reason is that it is easier to learn when you haven't already developed bad habits. Before I recommend a fingertip grip I would like to see a side and back video of you bowling. The release is the last thing one should be concerned about when learning how to bowl because everything that comes before it will affect it, we first need to make sure you are consistently getting into a good leverage position before releasing the ball.

Do you have any injuries or conditions? What ball weight are you using?

Please post your videos in the certified coaching section. If you are already working with a qualified coach and he or she recommended going fingertip then follow his or her advice, if not I would first make sure that is what you need now. Many go fingertip too early to learn how to hook it and spend more time doing so if their approach and swing are still not solid.
Thank you for the feedback! No issues, other than starting this in my late 50s. lol. But better late than never. I am going with 14 pound equipment. I do have a couple of people working with me, and the pro who will do my setup is planning to evaluate me again before proceeding. I am really looking forward to the next step and will try and post an update on my progress.