Layout for radical tremendous

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

gunso

Layout for radical tremendous

Post by gunso »

Bought a Radical Tremendous on Bowlersmart.com for a tournament which will be played at the end of january to february. It will be played on the Kegel high street (THS) http://patternlibrary.kegel.net/Pattern ... spx?ID=603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had good success playing this pattern with the guru master (smooth as butter) when I was throwing 16 pounds so I decided to drill up another guru core even though my roll has changed dramatically since then.

stats: 16.5-17 off hand
rpm: 450
tilt: 0-3
rotation: 60
no thumb

I'm thinking 80x3.5x30 (I'll put a small balance hole in the PSA or close to it to make it legal depending on static weights and to account for the 30 val angle to make it more assymmetrical)

Comments on learning to throw it better are useless since I am working diligently on my game and I'll just buy more bowling balls.

Bonus points for coming up with an idea for http://bowlingresults.info/ecc/2017/fil ... attern.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well since the Icelandic championsships will be held for this. I'm thinking of a low flare layout on another tremendous or the guru master if I can get my hands on a barely used one from my proshop if this one will roll good for me as well.

I'm thinking 100x2x50 with surface to play the lanes straighter if urethane won't work or as a ball up option from urethane when it stops making it back or if it starts to grab to early.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Layout for radical tremendous

Post by MegaMav »

Very strong ball. Im thinking 70 x 3 x 70 for that urethane-ish look you want.
gunso

Post by gunso »

MegaMav wrote:Very strong ball. Im thinking 70 x 3 x 70 for that urethane-ish look you want.
Not really going for the urethane look on this one since this is one of the patterns I rarely bring out my urethanes. Will probably drill another one to keep my target in front of me. Way too much dry on the outside and too much oil inside for urethane to be a good choice. will probably be swinging this from 15-8 to start with and chase it inside and keep my misses left in that gigantic hold. I've had better carry with strong balls on this one since they get quicker into a roll when I miss left.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I can only give you advice based on what I've seen with the ball personally.
I think my suggestion would give you what you want.
Good luck.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

gunso wrote:Bonus points for coming up with an idea for http://bowlingresults.info/ecc/2017/fil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... attern.pdf as well since the Icelandic championsships will be held for this. I'm thinking of a low flare layout on another tremendous or the guru master if I can get my hands on a barely used one from my proshop if this one will roll good for me as well.
Give yourself the bonus points. I like the idea of a low flare layout for you on a shot like this.

I would not treat this pattern any different from just about any other 40 ft pattern. The 5:1 ratio should have some forgiveness for errant shots. I also think there is enough oil to hold up fairly well. But you will find that a ball like the Tremendous will change the pattern quickly. Once the lanes transition and open up going to your favorite house shot ball to chase the shot inside.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
gunso

Post by gunso »

EricHartwell wrote: Give yourself the bonus points. I like the idea of a low flare layout for you on a shot like this.

I would not treat this pattern any different from just about any other 40 ft pattern. The 5:1 ratio should have some forgiveness for errant shots. I also think there is enough oil to hold up fairly well. But you will find that a ball like the Tremendous will change the pattern quickly. Once the lanes transition and open up going to your favorite house shot ball to chase the shot inside.
the shots are 11:1 44 ft which will be played at the end of january and a 3.3:1 40 ft which will be played in april and I'll buy another one for later and put the low flare layout on it. there are other tournaments but these are the most prestigious ones which I already know the pattern on.

also we move after every game so left of 20 at the arrrows is usually left unused by at least half of the bowlers if not more and qualifying are 6 game blocks with 4 on a pair so usually big balls tend to last until game 3-4 at least and sometimes the whole block.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

I saw the 5:1 ratio reading the pattern chart too quickly that was the cleaner ratio.
3.34:1 less room for error. The big balls will burn up an area in the buffed out area and out side the 9 board pretty quickly giving you that room. I was also looking at this like the half of the bowlers that do not migrate left of 4th arrow.

I was looking at MegaMav's 70-3-70 recommendation which I also think would be a good set up and usable on both of the patterns you listed. A shorter Pin to Cg and lower top weight would be needed for you maintain static weight the easiest for this one.

Then I got to thinking about when to use the low flare or the 70-3-70.
I was thinking that the low flare could be used on the fresh with the pocket in front of you. Then transition to the 70-3-70 when you use more hook swinging the lane.

I drilled a Tremendous this year to use in a sport league with a strong Midlane drilling. 40-4.5-35 P3 It did well on our modified house pattern at 43' at the factory finish 500/1500. They keep modifying the house shot. Now it is a low volume 40' with bumpers. I do not use this ball for the house shot any more. I have been experimenting with surface on it. 500 grit was too much for my basic lack of ball speed even on 44 ft London pattern. Rolling it now at 2000 grit and the down lane motion is stronger. Still not worried about missing the breakpoint and have to make moves left quickly to stay ahead of the transitions. This ball absorbs oil very quickly. The oils is almost soaked in by the time it gets back through the ball return. By my next shot, 3 man team, the oil is completely gone from the surface of the ball. I watch the ball come back from the return and check the oil lines, if they are nonexistent I move left on my next shot on that lane even if I was flush pocket. This is keeping me away from the big splits that have been showing up without notice on what I thought to be good shots.

Wishing you good luck on your tournaments.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
gunso

Post by gunso »

wouldn't both of them end with low flare if the larger flare ine will be 70° val making it pin under which on the scoop core technology radically (pun intended) decreases differential which is already in the 0.44

this link would suggest that the differential would be similiar or even smaller with the large val angle. also as a low tilt player my ratios should be closer to 2:1 even though my rotation is quite high.

I'll mull it over. you both have more experience with the ball than I have.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

gunso wrote:wouldn't both of them end with low flare if the larger flare ine will be 70° val making it pin under which on the scoop core technology radically (pun intended) decreases differential which is already in the 0.44

this link would suggest that the differential would be similiar or even smaller with the large val angle. also as a low tilt player my ratios should be closer to 2:1 even though my rotation is quite high.

I'll mull it over. you both have more experience with the ball than I have.
You will notice a greater reduction when you approach 90* on the drilling angle. Thus it's recommendation for the low flare layout.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
gunso

Post by gunso »

contacted Mo. specifically told him I was not afraid of balance holes. pin to cg was 1 1/4 with the cg just a touch left of the pin to psa line. 2.8 oz top weight. his advice for information:

"Good pin for you. Put the cg in the Ring Finger. Put the pin above and right of the Ring Finger at a 60* angle to the vertical centerline of the grip. Drill the finger holes 4" deep. You'll like it."

will drill it in a couple of hours but by eyeballing it it seems like the layout will come out at something like 120*4 3/4×40 (not that the val makes a difference but I will basically be touching the core very little with the finger
scoop technology even though i go 4 inch deep