Ball Weights

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Ball Weights

Post by jdrsuper »

About 18 months ago I went from 14lbs to 13lbs to hopefully increase my speed and up my average. I am a 77 year oldster that only bowls the ABT on some weekends. The experiment didn't increase my speed or my average. However due to some shoulder issues I am concerned about going back to 14lbs, but I would like to try. Do ball manufacturers make 14lb balls at 14lbs 0 oz so that after drilling I would have a heavier 13lb ball that I think I could handle. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Re: Ball Weights

Post by ads »

I bowl with 14lbs equipment. The before drilled weight can be between 14 lbs 1oz to 14lbs 4oz. In average, ~3 oz will be removed after drilled. Choose those which are +1/+2 oz and you will get less than 14lbs. In any case, you can always choose to drill the thumb hole or finger holes deeper to remove a bit more. A balance hole, if needed, can also take away ~1 oz.

You may try 14lb balls but be careful not to hurt yourself.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Post by jdrsuper »

ads wrote:I bowl with 14lbs equipment. The before drilled weight can be between 14 lbs 1oz to 14lbs 4oz. In average, ~3 oz will be removed after drilled. Choose those which are +1/+2 oz and you will get less than 14lbs. In any case, you can always choose to drill the thumb hole or finger holes deeper to remove a bit more. A balance hole, if needed, can also take away ~1 oz.

You may try 14lb balls but be careful not to hurt yourself.
Thanks Adrian, I'll ask my PSO to order 14lbs 1 or 2 oz on the balls I choose. Another reason I want to try 14lbs again that they have the cores that come with 14 thru 16 lb balls. Many 13lb balls have generic cores and don't provide the dynamics needed to score effectively, just my opinion.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

I too am a 70+ senior throwing 13 lbs, used to throw 14, then badly injured thumb & eventually started back using 10 lbs. Using lower weights helped my form & thumb will never be 100% so staying at 13. Cores are an issue. Motiv uses. their same cores throughout weight range though at lower density, but doesn’t make their most aggressive balls in weights lower than 14. Storm makes a few using same core but most use generic. At least their web site makes it easy to see what core is used at each weight for any given ball. Everyone else seems to use generic cores in lower weights and you have to ask them to find that out. All that said, I was happy enough with Motiv Primal Rage Remix & Primal Fear until looking for a strong Assym in 13 lbs & tried a Storm Sure Lock. For me, it is like no ball I have ever had
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

With a proper layout and balance hole I can make a generic 13# Symmetrical ball plenty dynamic.
jdrsuper wrote: About 18 months ago I went from 14lbs to 13lbs to hopefully increase my speed and up my average. I am a 77 year oldster that only bowls the ABT on some weekends. The experiment didn't increase my speed or my average.
You can't expect it to increase your average. Especially since you are only bowling a few tournaments here and there. If you want to increase your average, get out and practice regularly.

Look at it a different way, it allows to you maintain your ball speed and average.

I am rolling 13# equipment and speaking from experience. I dropped in weight from 15# because of an injury, a torn bicep tendon) While I was able to maintain my ball speed and average, my Rev rate did go up. Once the bicep was finally 100%, over 2 years, I tried to go back to the 15's I found that my shoulder couldn't handle the heavier weight. I contribute this to throwing too many baseballs and softballs. I can't throw overhand without pain. I don't play ball any more. Golf fills that void now.

I also understand getting older and wanting to maintain a certain level of play. Be it bowling, golf, softball/baseball or any activity that takes a certain level of athleticism to maintain your game. Injuries don't help this, it makes it more difficult.

So to be able to maintain and bowl without pain is a Big plus for using a lighter weight ball.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand