Paradox Trilogy for Senior Lefty

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Paradox Trilogy for Senior Lefty

Post by stevespo »

Senior lefty, good solid, consistent bowler (former coach). Low speed/revs, but fairly well matched. Most of his equipment tends toward strong covers, high flaring cores with lower ratios, like 30-3.5-25, 40-4-40. Likes to knock the polish off with a 4000 grit on house shots like Stone Street with lower friction Pro-Anvilane.

Tends to have an ok look on the fresh, but starts leaving corner pins and has difficulty moving into the oil, and still creating angle. Is most comfortable playing 1st to 2nd arrow, but working on that.

Speed off hand: 14 mph
Rev: 160-175 rpm
Tilt: 15*
Rotation: 45*
PAP: 4.25 x +0.5

He's purchased a Paradox Trilogy (low RG, hybrid cover) and would like something that goes longer and is stronger off the break point. I have him at 95 total, with 1.5:1 ratio for a benchmark, but unsure how to adjust for overall low speed/revs and lower traffic on left side.

Based on my experience with my own Trilogy, BW Legend, etc. I would be tempted to go with a "long and strong" with a longer pin (5+) and something like 70x5x35. Get the pin closer to the fingers and drill them a little deeper to reduce the differential a bit. Alternately, a lower flare layout with a shorter pin but my personal experience is mixed.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Paradox Trilogy for Senior Lefty

Post by elgavachon »

stevespo wrote:Senior lefty, good solid, consistent bowler (former coach). Low speed/revs, but fairly well matched. Most of his equipment tends toward strong covers, high flaring cores with lower ratios, like 30-3.5-25, 40-4-40. Likes to knock the polish off with a 4000 grit on house shots like Stone Street with lower friction Pro-Anvilane.

Tends to have an ok look on the fresh, but starts leaving corner pins and has difficulty moving into the oil, and still creating angle. Is most comfortable playing 1st to 2nd arrow, but working on that.

Speed off hand: 14 mph
Rev: 160-175 rpm
Tilt: 15*
Rotation: 45*
PAP: 4.25 x +0.5

He's purchased a Paradox Trilogy (low RG, hybrid cover) and would like something that goes longer and is stronger off the break point. I have him at 95 total, with 1.5:1 ratio for a benchmark, but unsure how to adjust for overall low speed/revs and lower traffic on left side.

Based on my experience with my own Trilogy, BW Legend, etc. I would be tempted to go with a "long and strong" with a longer pin (5+) and something like 70x5x35. Get the pin closer to the fingers and drill them a little deeper to reduce the differential a bit. Alternately, a lower flare layout with a shorter pin but my personal experience is mixed.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
Mo loweres the ratios a little for the left side to avoid squirting he calls it. For long and strong layouts, he shortens the pin a bit. The 5" pin would be a mid-lane layout pin. 5" makes the ball face up early where you want long.
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

Thanks, that was exactly what I was wondering about.

The pin to pap on asyms continues to confuse me. I understand the conventional wisdom about longer pins, but my experience runs counter. What I am finding is that 5"+ pins on strong asyms are producing less flare for me than a 4" pin. My 4" pin Paradox has 5-6" of flare and my 5" pin Trilogy has perhaps 3-4". The tighter track is very noticeable. Perhaps surface and pin closer to fingers is also a factor?

Perhaps something more like 55x4.5x30?, 60x4.5x35?

Steve
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

stevespo wrote:Thanks, that was exactly what I was wondering about.

The pin to pap on asyms continues to confuse me. I understand the conventional wisdom about longer pins, but my experience runs counter. What I am finding is that 5"+ pins on strong asyms are producing less flare for me than a 4" pin. My 4" pin Paradox has 5-6" of flare and my 5" pin Trilogy has perhaps 3-4". The tighter track is very noticeable. Perhaps surface and pin closer to fingers is also a factor?

Perhaps something more like 55x4.5x30?, 60x4.5x35?

Steve
Little Joey Rimshot (Joey Cerrar) told me that he liked to put a very long pin on too high of angles. The high ratio /higher totals seemed to work good with the roll forward for his bowlers. Blueprint followed what Mo has said though. It depends on the drilling angle. See page 4 where with a 90* drilling angle it does as you have noticed, but with a 50* it does not. page #4 is with a 30* Val angle. see also large VAL angles page #6. http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ntLine.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lower totals do fit in better with the balls he has now.
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

Thanks. I don't see a 90* drill in that document (old Gradient Line Balance Hole), but I do understand what you are talking about. The longer pin balances off the larger ratio/totals.

My own experiments are with lower ratio/total benchmark layouts. Same core, different covers. Possibly something I am doing with my release to change tilt and rotation and that is compensating as well.

Steve
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

stevespo wrote:Thanks. I don't see a 90* drill in that document (old Gradient Line Balance Hole), but I do understand what you are talking about. The longer pin balances off the larger ratio/totals.

My own experiments are with lower ratio/total benchmark layouts. Same core, different covers. Possibly something I am doing with my release to change tilt and rotation and that is compensating as well.

Steve
sorry. My copy and paste isn't working properly. this is the one I thought I had copied:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... lained.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

That's a great article. I'll try and get some data from my Paradoxs and measure the flare using a consistent target and release.

Steve
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

I decided to use 55 x 5 x 30 on the Trilogy. He was able to use it on Thursday night with very good results. Never missed the pocket in games 1-2, although was slow to move when he started leaving 6 pins and had a couple of splits in game 3.

Definitely provides a new motion (more angular) for him and is very satisfied. Should be a great ball with a bit more experience with it and being proactive with moves to stay ahead of the transition.

Steve