just got a new hammer gauntlet

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

just got a new hammer gauntlet

Post by mrbean »

i bought a new 14lb hammer gauntlet on amazon, i was going to get a radical cash but had thrown a gauntlet at a demo and liked it so got that instead. what i want to know is how does the cover/core compare to the alpha crux or the weapon of mass bias (which it will be replacing). also how early does it start to hook, reason i ask is because the WMB is currently my earliest rolling ball, and i was thinking on resurfacing to 1000 abralon (also got a resurfacing kit you can do at home with a drill).
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: just got a new hammer gauntlet

Post by 44boyd »

From what I've seen on Xtra Frame and inside bowling on YouTube, the EBI staffers and non staffed people that used it was on the fresh and pretty much a down and in type besides Bill Oneil. So for a strong, heavy oil ball I think it'll fit what you're looking for since it'll definitely read early.
Stacy
mrbean

Post by mrbean »

i did end up changing the surface to 1000 abralon. only because my WMB was finished at 500 grit and i thought it would be closer to that
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
bowler100

Post by bowler100 »

mrbean wrote:i bought a new 14lb hammer gauntlet on amazon, i was going to get a radical cash but had thrown a gauntlet at a demo and liked it so got that instead. what i want to know is how does the cover/core compare to the alpha crux or the weapon of mass bias (which it will be replacing). also how early does it start to hook, reason i ask is because the WMB is currently my earliest rolling ball, and i was thinking on resurfacing to 1000 abralon (also got a resurfacing kit you can do at home with a drill).
Well, this is an old thread so I don't know if it is helpful at this point. I happen to have both the Gauntlet and the WMB. I can tell you that both balls read early but the Gauntlet has a longer hook phase AND more kick in the dry (much more continuation). On the the Bear pattern, I took both the WMB and the Gauntlet down to a 600 grit scotch brite surface. I will just say the the Gauntlet cut through the heavy oil a lot better than the WMB and still had a stronger backend. The WMB went very long but it had a mellow downlane motion as opposed to the Gauntlet which would turn very sharply and finish over the eight pin on every flush hit. The Gauntlet was about ten boards stronger overall. The funny thing about the WMB is that for a ball that reads as early as it does in friction, it seems to have no trouble skidding 45+ feet on very heavy volumes even for a rev-dominant, high axis rotation/low axis tilt bowler like myself. Probably the best ball ever for extreme wet/dry conditions because it has above average traction in oil (not as much as you might think) but it has a very forward motion when it hits friction. You either love the WMB or you hate it.
mrbean

Post by mrbean »

had the gauntlet drilled the same as the WMB and it had the same motion and did read earlier (had trouble keeping it right of the head pin!) but now that i have a 5 step approach, that should be fixed with more ball speed.

-Honest Abe
bowler100

Post by bowler100 »

mrbean wrote:had the gauntlet drilled the same as the WMB and it had the same motion and did read earlier (had trouble keeping it right of the head pin!) but now that i have a 5 step approach, that should be fixed with more ball speed.
Just to be clear, you saw an earlier motion out of the Gauntlet compared to the WMB?
mrbean

Post by mrbean »

yes

-Honest Abe