Updated 11-5-18: Feedback on my shot

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
ModernGame

Updated 11-5-18: Feedback on my shot

Post by ModernGame »

Hey all, I'd love some feedback on my shot. I'm trying to get a very modern style release (Mike Fagan has my favorite swing and release). I am concerned about my swing, I'm not sure if it's straight enough. I'm also concerned about the timing of my steps as well as the length of each step. I have a five step approach, yet I have to setup at the very edge of the approach and I still end up close to the foul line. I've also noticed that my first crossover step goes across my left foot rather than straight in front of it. Is this okay or should I straighten out that first crossover step?

Here is the back view:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Side view:

Updated shot: I have been trying to implement the advice you all have given me. I have been trying especially hard to shorten my fourth (power) step to get my timing more in order. I apologize for the poor side view as I had no one to film for me and had to prop up my phone to get the videos. Analyzing myself, I still feel like my swing may go too far behind me in the backswing. I also feel as if I'm still early in my timing but it is difficult to tell without good video analysis software. I'd love to know how different my old shot looks in comparison to my current shot from an outsider's perspective. I also am having trouble with lane play; my house is dry as a bone during league this year and even using a way less reactive ball has not allowed me to play further right on the lane. I've also attached a shot of my ball's roll for analysis of its axis rotation and tilt. From my perspective, I have a higher axis tilt but possibly not enough axis rotation, which is causing my ball to begin transitioning too soon. What do you guys think?

Back views:

Poor side views (hopefully it is good enough to evaluate my timing):

View of ball roll (is the axis rotation too low?):

Some back story on why I'm unsure of my ball roll. This footage was taken in a different house that had a normal-seeming house pattern. My line of play for this footage was over the 13th board to a breakpoint of the 7th board down lane. At the center where I bowl league I have to start the night playing over the 20th board and imagine I am trying to project the ball into the gutter next to the 10 pin because the ball begins hooking way before where the oil pattern supposedly ends. By the end of league I am playing gutter to gutter and still hit the pins high quite often. The ball is a hustle ink with a standard pin up layout, I don't believe I should have to play that deep on a house shot, thus I'm wondering if I need to try to learn to increase axis rotation to delay the reaction of the ball.

Thank you for the feedback!
Last edited by ModernGame on November 7th, 2018, 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Re: Feedback on my shot

Post by walterp »

ModernGame wrote:Hey all, I'd love some feedback on my shot. I'm trying to get a very modern style release (Mike Fagan has my favorite swing and release). I am concerned about my swing, I'm not sure if it's straight enough. I'm also concerned about the timing of my steps as well as the length of each step. I have a five step approach, yet I have to setup at the very edge of the approach and I still end up close to the foul line. I've also noticed that my first crossover step goes across my left foot rather than straight in front of it. Is this okay or should I straighten out that first crossover step?

Here is the back view:

From the back view, I like that the ball is inside your head at the foul line.
You have a few items of concern. from the sideview. I would focus on the crossover step and reducing it. As an exaggeration, I would say think stepping RIGHT on your second step

Side view:

Stance is ok from the side view. I would try and keep your left arm a little higher in front of you starting at the end of your pushaway, almost like you are pointing your left arm parallel to your ball path. My hope is that will keep your torso a little more quiet and keep your spine tilt forward a little more consistent. I would work on one thing at a time though. Focus on the crossover step first.

Walter
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome to BowlingChat!

A strong release is only achieved from a strong balanced position, we first need to get you posting your shot, every time you fall off you will be losing power and accuracy.

Walter is correct about spine tilt, you want it to be quiet after you set it up on the third step, you also want to keep it near your center of gravity not too far forward or to the side as this will contribute to you falling off the shot. Ball should be kept under the head from address to release.

Fagan's game is quite unique, I like how loose and effortless it looks. To be loose you need to build a style with good fundamentals but also something that feels easy to you and goes with your personality and physiology. Looking at pro bowlers for reference is a good thing but don't try to copy each and every move as some characteristics may fit your game and other characteristics won't.

You can start doing the Kegel drills, especially the finish drill and the swing and slide. Like Walter stated focus on one thing at a time, it takes about 1,500 repetitions to make a new movement permanent so focus on quality of motion when you are practicing not on pin fall. Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent so it is also advisable to work with a good certified coach in your area. Good luck and keep us posted about your progress.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

I am concerned about my swing, I'm not sure if it's straight enough.
Your back view video isn't directly behind your bowling side shoulder going down your intended ball path. With that said it does look like the pushaway goes outwards not straight forwards.with the pushaway going right and the crossover going too far left you created a large space . remember the ball should stay under the head at all times.
I've also noticed that my first crossover step goes across my left foot rather than straight in front of it. Is this okay or should I straighten out that first crossover step?
yes straighten it out.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr ... sort=3&o=0

I'm also concerned about the timing of my steps as well as the length of each step.
I have a five step approach, yet I have to setup at the very edge of the approach and I still end up close to the foul line.
Both questions can be answered by shorting your 4th step. Notice in the next pic how the pros knees are together... this is when the ball should drop into the down swing. In your video the ball is starting to fall and your knees are far apart. Fixing your 4th step should help most of your problems.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr ... sort=3&o=3

This long 4th step makes your timing early which is why you have balance problems. Mark Baker discovered a timing spot for most bowlers.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr ... sort=3&o=2

Your slide stops and the ball is already 4 or 5 feet down the lane. Fixing your 4th step will also help this.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr ... sort=3&o=1

Your release is fine.

Last bumped by ModernGame on November 6th, 2018, 5:45 am.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004