Help for my Son

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Help for my Son

Post by ICURNVS »

Looking for some help with my Son. What I see is at the top of his backswing his shoulder flys open which isnt a bad thing, but on the way down he is turning his hand around the ball.

This is giving him some kinda twirly motion without much ball reaction on any kinda of fresh pattern

Looking for any kinda of drills / tips / suggestions you may have. He is 14yr old and using 14lb equipment

***Edit*** Tony the reason for the Wrist band is not weight, With his current release, without the brace his revs decline even more from coming around the side of the ball. is it a crutch, yes. But we have been working on core strength and grip / wrist strength for baseball which should carry over to bowling. That combined hopefully with better mechanics and the brace will be gone.

**EDIT**

Spr3wr,

He has a habit of not following completely through and does that half arm bend thing. While doing his 1 step drills ive incorporated the complete follow though. Also with the fould line drill.

a good solid week of 1 step drills, foul line drills, and woking on that first step and he had a much better day saturday. Next Tuesday I will be submitting a new video with the changes.

As far as the approach.. i moved him up a little bit for the side view just to get all the footwork in. He normally stands with his toe on the first set of dots. that lane was the only one available that night.

ICU

Back View
[youtube][/youtube]

Side
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by ICURNVS on November 30th, 2017, 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Help for my Son

Post by kajmk »

First the Caveat, I'm not an active coach and have been out of the game for 12 years or so, I'm also not viewing on a computer!
My powers of observation are limited. I'd prefer to do picture frame by frame analysis, but can't. If I were active, experienced etc, I'd offer more.
I hope this is useful and a good start.
He would do well to view the kegel teen masters tips which you can find on the wiki.
Having watched Bakers video and read his book, I'm more aware of some of the cookie molds to throw away ...

I see a few things ( footwork) but my over all impression is that he looks pretty good.

As for the extraneous hand movement.
It looks to me like as he drops the ball into the swing, near its nadir, he rotates his hand to the outside. He does recover, but that position puts too much ball between his body and the ball, would seem that could hurt the swing slot and consistency.

Here are some words of wisdom by forum member Greg Helms
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr
Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Dont try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

USBC Silver Certified Coach
Brunswick Pro Staff
*The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer and not of Brunswick Bowling & Billiards Corporation"
By the way, the more books I've read, videos etc, the more I realize I do not know.
Some things that were taught in the past have been debunked by data and observation.

I'd look to Jim Merrell's analysis and Ron Clifton's tips. Between them, there is encyclopedic wisdom!!
Last edited by MegaMav on November 15th, 2017, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quote.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

My observations:

Side View
1) In Slide S2, his first step moves forward, but body weight remains back on right foot.
2) From S2 to S3 he finally shifts his body weight forward....but the ball moves away from his body prematurely with the weight transfer.
3) In slide S9, his shoulders are parallel to his target line, but his hips are wide open. This can lead to knee problems.

Back View

1) In B3 the hand is too much on the side of the ball, needs to work on getting the hand behind the ball at this point.
2) In B5, the hand has rotated to the inside of the ball. Too much hand rotation going on from B3 to B5.
3) As you mentioned his hand is on the side of the ball in B6.
4) I don't like the stiff trailing leg position in B7.

My suggestions.

As you stated he is very young, so I'd like to focus on two issues....Start & Finish

1) In slide 4, I show where he is and where I would like to see him at the completion of the first step.
Basically, keep the ball position at address, but move the body weight forward with the first foot.

Drills:
1) Have him practice transferring the weight by only taking his first step. If done correctly he should be able to lift the right foot off the floor. If not, it just means there is still weight on the right foot.

The second item I would like to focus on is what is happening with his trail leg as he begins his slide.

1) From the top of his swing, as he begins to slide he swings the trail leg in a circular motion into it's finished position.
2) Swinging the trailing leg left rotates his hips in a clockwise motion.
3) Rotating the hips against a fixed slide foot puts undue pressure on the knee. I see a lot of young kids with KT tape on the slide knee. While, it may fashionable, it's the rotation of the hips against the fixed slide foot that's the reason the tape is needed.
4) From the top of the swing the proper motion for the trail leg is for the knee to move straight forward towards the back of the slide knee, positioned slightly left of the slide knee.
5) The ankle of the trail leg should rollover.

SEE SLIDES 5 & 6 FOR REFERENCE!

The one-step drill is a great drill to practice the proper motion of the trail leg.

Spending some dedicated time on his start and finishing positions will cure other issues I see in the video.

The Foul line drill is a great drill for improving on his hand position during release.

Have him assume his finish position at the foul line.
Have him look down and observe his hand position while performing this drill.

Master the start & finish positions and submit new video, we will go from there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Great analysis Jim! One thing I would like to add is about the wrist device. Does he have an injury? If not, he is quite young and learning a more powerful release will be much easier for him than it is for us older people. A wrist device will also limit what you can do with your wrist in terms of versatility. If he can't release his current ball weight without the device, have him drop a pound or two, the release skills he will learn will be well worth in the future.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

A couple of things to add.
#1) I thought his steps didn't looked smooth. Why is he starting his approach in front of the dots?

#2) This could be a reaction for #1 but he has a very aggressive upwards motion after the release. Is he trying to add speed to the shot? This upward action alone causes so much trouble. Our goal is to project the ball down the lane. Hitting up on the ball will cause balance problems and bad ball reaction at the break point. It will also help keep his hand behind the ball.

At the release point think long and low ( this will keep your fingers in the ball longer ) not short and up. Your bowling hand will move upwards all by its self without your help.

2 of my favorites releases.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

think long and low .
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004