Upgrading/Expanding the Arsenal

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

cdubb

Upgrading/Expanding the Arsenal

Post by cdubb »

Hey all,

Trying to build up an arsenal. I'm speed dominant 16.5-17 MPH is my natural speed, low rev I think (fresh house starting on 18-17 board aiming second arrow, since my revs haven't been measured). My current arsenal is:

Radical Ridiculous 15 lbs (primary ball)
Morich Levrg 16 lbs (emergancy backup/locker queen/extreme dry)
Brunswick Viz-A-Ball 15 lbs (spare/straight ball)

Drilling and fitting is done by the best proshop on my area. I don't know the specs but all three balls are drilled identically.

I love the Ridiculous, it's been a great all around ball and I likely will buy another one (current one is cracking but usable after three seasons). The Levrg still gets it done, it was my high school ball, but only is effective for me now in bone dry conditions which even at my highly inconsistent home house is very rare. Plus after using the Radical for so long I don't like its motion, it has a long lazy hook, sometimes it's good I realize but it's rare for me.

What I'm looking for is something with a heavy backend, snap hook motion, like the ridiculous, out of the box but for a dry lane condition. With the Ridiculous I run out of adjustment when it dries up, I can only chase it so far. So with that in mind can someone make a ball suggestion to me? On a dry lane I give my Radical a hook rating of 9 of 10, I'd like to be more like a 6 maybe 7, something I can hold a familiar mark with. I wouldn't be opposed to staying in the Radical family but I would also like to hear of any older "bargin balls" I could pick up on eBay or something cheaply that sound like a fit.

So in conclusion: What Radical ball would you suggest and what other "bargain ball" would you suggest. I look forward to hear what the group has to say.
mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

Re: Upgrading/Expanding the Arsenal

Post by mrbean »

you can get a storm street fight on ebay for around $80. thats a good medium oil ball
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
cdubb

Post by cdubb »

Thanks for the tip!! :D
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

If you can find them still look for a roto grip wrecker and a roto grip uproar. Drilled right they go nice and long and have a really good snap on the backends.
cdubb

Post by cdubb »

Thanks Somy! I'll have a look.

I also did some digging of my own and the Radical Grease Monkey Whack sounds interesting. How would this stack up to the Ridiculous in dry conditions? The reviews I've read are inconclusive (great ball it sounds like) sounds like it's more a medium oil ball.
mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

Post by mrbean »

if you want a ridiculous for lighter oil, the ridiculous pearl is supposed to be for medium to light oil
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe