A record for me

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

A record for me

Post by pjape »

Last night was another crappy night, although I think I set a personal record. In games two and three I left, count them, SIX 3-10 baby splits. Made two (although the first conversion was luck), and missed the rest.

Please, no advice. Let me bask in my suckiness. :lol:
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: A record for me

Post by kajmk »

pjape wrote:Last night was another crappy night, although I think I set a personal record. In games two and three I left, count them, SIX 3-10 baby splits. Made two (although the first conversion was luck), and missed the rest.

Please, no advice. Let me bask in my suckiness. :lol:
At least you did not leave 6 5-7-10 splits, I know it has two nicknames and at the moment one eludes me. The one I remember is ""The Lilly". Is the other "The Sour Apple"?
Saw Pete Weber leave one in a TV match, walked away from the line blowing on his fingers and laughing.

Ok, I had to look it up so I can forget it again.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_(bowling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Used to bowl in leagues with a guy (on other team) who when he missed the 3-10, missed it by hooking it in between them a lot. He did it twice in the same game.

May your next record be a career high set!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
pjape

Post by pjape »

kajmk wrote:
At least you did not leave 6 5-7-10 splits, I know it has two nicknames and at the moment one eludes me. The one I remember is ""The Lilly". Is the other "The Sour Apple"?
Saw Pete Weber leave one in a TV match, walked away from the line blowing on his fingers and laughing.

Ok, I had to look it up so I can forget it again.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_(bowling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Used to bowl in leagues with a guy (on other team) who when he missed the 3-10, missed it by hooking it in between them a lot. He did it twice in the same game.

May your next record be a career high set!
Actually John, I've left The Lily! For some reason, it was left by a number of bowlers in the last house I bowled at. They even had this trophy at the counter, and would retrieve it for the unfortunate bowler to sign and date. There were a lot of names on it! At least when Weber left it, he was chucking it straight down the middle for count. I was trying! I can laugh now. :lol:
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I think you ran into the same thing I ran into. If your the same one that just got the new kegal machines also. I was quite a bit hurt so consider that and it is hard to think like that. Last Monday, I had 4 splits in 1 game. (my average is 1 split in 3 games usually) ended up with a 122. I might and probably had more splits the other 2 games I don't remember. Wednesday again 4 splits 1st game 132 game. Bowled 132 160 167. I don't believe I shot sub 550 last year or in the summer. Those 2 days were in the 400's.

Fast forward to Thursday. I told my team that I will probably bowl another 400 or so. That day, I let the ball roll right off my hand with no extra on it. I am so used to putting extra on it, I wasn't realizing what I was doing. The ball didn't over react in the backends like it was the other 2 days. I used the storm rocketship drilled control for 3 games. I had 1 split because I had late timing and forced the ball and pulled my ball left and also had 1 7 10 split with a perfect pocket hit but I am not counting that since that was a very good hit. I now feel I have control of the ball which I haven't felt in a bit. The lanes aren't the same with the old machine vs the new machine. A lot of people at my place are struggling bad. The people that play the track area are struggling while the people that like playing between 2nd and 3rd arrow with high speed and high revs are the same average.

If your not the one with the new kegal machine then ignore the post. I don't know what to say.
pjape

Post by pjape »

krava wrote:I think you ran into the same thing I ran into. If your the same one that just got the new kegal machines also. I was quite a bit hurt so consider that and it is hard to think like that. Last Monday, I had 4 splits in 1 game. (my average is 1 split in 3 games usually) ended up with a 122. I might and probably had more splits the other 2 games I don't remember. Wednesday again 4 splits 1st game 132 game. Bowled 132 160 167. I don't believe I shot sub 550 last year or in the summer. Those 2 days were in the 400's.

Fast forward to Thursday. I told my team that I will probably bowl another 400 or so. That day, I let the ball roll right off my hand with no extra on it. I am so used to putting extra on it, I wasn't realizing what I was doing. The ball didn't over react in the backends like it was the other 2 days. I used the storm rocketship drilled control for 3 games. I had 1 split because I had late timing and forced the ball and pulled my ball left and also had 1 7 10 split with a perfect pocket hit but I am not counting that since that was a very good hit. I now feel I have control of the ball which I haven't felt in a bit. The lanes aren't the same with the old machine vs the new machine. A lot of people at my place are struggling bad. The people that play the track area are struggling while the people that like playing between 2nd and 3rd arrow with high speed and high revs are the same average.

If your not the one with the new kegal machine then ignore the post. I don't know what to say.
Yep, I'm the same guy. After some thinking and research, I came to the conclusion that my strategy of playing outside with my stuff at 5,000 grit was totally wrong. Yea, if I had ball speed, I could. Last Thursday the other team's lead-off guy shot 750, and he was straight up the eight board all three games. Yea, in game three his ball was hitting weak, but he still managed to carry enough to not ruin his first two games. He throws it very hard, and I found out from our ball driller that his equipment is set up to play that shot.

There is a LOT of oil in the middle on the Stone Street pattern. I'm going to put a lot of surface on my equipment and not get right of ten, where there's very little oil. I started out like that when the league started, but I used a maroon scotch brite pad by hand, so it was probably too much surface. It would be great to be able to practice on the fresh and experiment with different surfaces and find the best one.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I know you don't want advice, so I'll resist... we had our 3rd week on Stone Street, and I agree with your conclusion.

I've played it straight and firm up 7/8 with a 4000 grit Primo with good results. I've played the 2nd arrow with my IQ Tour, going up the back. Not bad.

Last night I grabbed my Paradox, hit it with the maroon pad and decided to start in a little and shape it off third arrow. Great look in warm ups and all night. Lots of area. We'll try it again next week and see what happens.

Hope

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I am not very good with the maroon pad. I used it on my hammer bad intentions hybrid and then got it messured on the scanner. The scanner shows 300-500 grit and it didn't have "good cuts" in it. The Ra or whatever was really bad.
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

pjape wrote:There is a LOT of oil in the middle on the Stone Street pattern. I'm going to put a lot of surface on my equipment and not get right of ten, where there's very little oil. I started out like that when the league started, but I used a maroon scotch brite pad by hand, so it was probably too much surface. It would be great to be able to practice on the fresh and experiment with different surfaces and find the best one.
Do you mean staying inside of 10 at the arrows? If you mean 10 down lane, you are giving up too much scoring area on a fairly easy pattern with a decent amount of miss room.
pjape

Post by pjape »

LookingForALeftyWall wrote:
Do you mean staying inside of 10 at the arrows? If you mean 10 down lane, you are giving up too much scoring area on a fairly easy pattern with a decent amount of miss room.
Yes, at the arrows.
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

made the semis at a labor day weekend tournament. first game in the semis 5 splits. to make it worse I put good shots that looked like conversions on all of them but either the ball didnt touch the key pin or barely missed it.

nothing like a 135 start. the shot was long oil, heavy volume and no backends.

made every non split tho. strikes were at a premium.