Lining up correctly also 3rd or 4th arrow for straight 10

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Lining up correctly also 3rd or 4th arrow for straight 10

Post by krava »

I haven't asked this and I think I have figured out how to word it. Lets say that you want to play 3rd arrow (fresh THS) 39 feet. So for most people to play the 3rd arrow (or atleast hit it), you will stand 7 or 8 boards to the left so (15+7) 22 board. But if you stand on 22 playing 3rd arrow, that is playing straight down 3rd arrow right? Suppose I don't want to throw the ball straight up 3rd arrow, and I want to get it out just a little. Lets say I want to get it out to 14. Do you move your feet 1 board left so you can throw almost straight but just a little right to get to 14? What about 13, 12, 11 and finally if I wanted to go 15 to 8 and back in? Do you move 7 boards left (22+7) 29 with the left foot so you can throw accross 15 out to 8? My way it this, lets say I want to hit 14 out to 8. I just stand left until I feel I can actually throw at that angle and then go for it. That is probably the wrong way. There has to be some correct way of moving your feet to shoot a shot like that depending on how far you want to get it out? That is what is stopping me from being able to play left very well as I have no idea where to stand.

2nd question is about getting the 10 pin. How many right hand bowlers that throw a perfect straight ball at the 10 pin, aim at the 3rd arrow and how many use the 4th arrow? I personally use the 3rd arrow but I see a few problems with it. #1 It might shove oil down in the path of my strike ball faster then playing 4th arrow. #2 It is easier to throw in the gutter using the 3rd arrow since it has to ride the rail sort of there. I believe the 10 pin is personally preference but I would like to know how many use what arrow for that.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Lining up correctly also 3rd or 4th arrow for straight 1

Post by RobMautner »

You are leaving one major thing out of the equation: the angle of your body. If you are playing a relatively straight shot (standing 17 or 18, targeting the second arrow, throwing to 8 or 10 at the tracer, and sliding into the same board where you started), your body will be square to your line. This means that your hips and your shoulders are parallel with the foul line.

As you move your feet and your target at the arrows left as the oil becomes depleted along your line, the angle of your body has to open up to allow you to project the ball to the right. In other words, your left foot remains perpendicular to the foul line and continues to walk straight toward your starting board, but your right foot starts a little bit back from your left foot and angles out to the right. As you do this, you should feel your hips and shoulders open up. Keeping this open angle allows you to project the ball from left to right without drifting to the right during your approach.

Where you target to pick up the ten is personal preference, however it is also dictated to some degree by the characteristics of the lanes at the particular center.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Sort of like a Tank moving and adjusting the gun turret at the target.

Ray Wong's video is worth a viewing, he has a segment on spare shooting.

[youtube][/youtube]

Remember, as human beings we have flaws, we cannot execute every shot precisely the same way every time. On single pin spares you have a wide margin of error, and all you need do is touch the pin, no need to make toothpicks!!
Practice Low ball on your corner pins.
Parker Bohn once told me that if he ever missed more than 1 single pin spare in a week of PBA match play, he considered that a sign he needed work on his spare game.
Most of us are not that good, but that does not mean we should not try for it.

It's like weight machines at a gym. There are people who max out the plates, even some who can go beyond that. Most of us can't, but it gives us something to aspire to.

Sometimes we let the optical illusions overrule our execution.
The old axiom "Trust is a must or your game is a busy" applies.
Rolf Gauger taught me something he called "The Blind Shot"
It goes like this, simply close your eyes when the ball is at its high point in your swing.
Open them at the top of your follow thru.

If you are going to miss, or make an error, make it an aggressive miss or error, err on the throwing side.

Pre shot routine should ALWAYS include wiping off the oil, WHETHER YOU SEE IT OR NOT.
Any ball that absorbs oil, does so at its own unique rate.
How much water does a sponge absorb when it's dry, when it's half soaked, when it'd saturated. Use a clean absorbent towel. Clean your towels before your next session.

Post shot routines should ALWAYS include Posting the shot.
Rolf said, pose like the photographers were taking your picture ...

Cheerio.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

kajmk wrote:The old axiom "Trust is a must or your game is a bust" applies.
Rolf Gauger taught me something he called "The Blind Shot"
It goes like this, simply close your eyes when the ball is at its high point in your swing.
Open them at the top of your follow thru.
Couldn't agree more! Great tip I haven't heard in years, from any coach.This an old 'trick' that will tell you everything about set-up & execution. No fudging or steering here. It's all or none. Try it in practice w/ all shots, strikes & spares.