Can/How you change an oil pattern with your ball?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

highschoolbowler
Preferred Company: Storm

Can/How you change an oil pattern with your ball?

Post by highschoolbowler »

I am on a high school varsity bowling team and we always do very well in our conference matches; Conference matches are thrown on a house shot.

On the other hand when sectionals roll around we have difficulty with the other shots. Yes I know that we need to be able to do well on any shot, which is true. The oil patterns at sectionals tend to be on the heavier and longer side for us. Also 2 out of the 5 bowlers on our team bowl 2 handed including me.

Will a 500 grit bowling ball change the oil pattern of the lane faster than normal a normal 1500 grit ball for example? What type of ball would soak up the most amount of oil as quick as possible?
LookingForALeftyWall

Re: Can/How you change an oil pattern with your ball?

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

The simple answer to your question is yes, a 500 grit ball will change an oil pattern faster than a 1500 grit ball.

However, what do you plan to do, knowing that a 500 grit ball can change a pattern faster than a 1500 grit ball? You need to have a well thought out plan before implementing a "we can blow up the pattern on the outside to give ourselves a spot to bump off of". Do you have bowlers who are accurate enough to blow up the right spot and not spray into an area you want to keep intact? Do you have 5 bowlers who are willing and can play the same area of the lane effectively to take advantage of creating some burn in a specific area? Do you know the patterns you're planning to carve up (do you have graphs/kegel printouts)? Are you assuming the shots are longer and heavier without understanding that the shot may just be flatter in application across the lane? Where is the track area of the lanes in house where sectionals are held - the track area (topography) usually trumps pattern...

There are so many variables to think about before carving up a shot - think about them before carving up a shot because you might end up making the lanes harder rather than easier.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

LookingForALeftyWall wrote:There are so many variables to think about before carving up a shot - think about them before carving up a shot because you might end up making the lanes harder rather than easier.
I read an interview with a bowler that detailed their strategy on these sport patterns, and it amounted to 1/2 the team throwing 360/500 grit sanded equipment up the first arrow and the other 1/2 of the team throwing their plastic spare balls straight down the middle at the headpin/pocket. This is during their practice, and nobody was trying to get lined up - just to change the shot. I can't remember if it was a college team or something they were doing at Nationals.

Regardless, yes - it is possible to create some area/hold for yourself. You do need full cooperation with your teammates, and you then have to be able to execute as a team on a game plan to take advantage of it. If the rev monsters jump inside immediately, the strokers on the team will likely get run over. Generally this works if people start right and gradually move left as the pattern breaks down. The team needs to be disciplined and understand that their individual scores might suffer a little at the start, but their team totals will improve over time.

It makes more sense to me with two cooperating teams on a pair at nationals. In a competitive situation, what is to prevent your opponents from just jumping into your line and using the help you've created? Often in tournaments, you're changing lanes after every game so again the advantage doesn't last very long.

Why not ask your coach if you can try this on a familiar sport pattern, and see if it improves your scores? Put in the time on the sport patterns and your house shot performance will also improve. You'll shoot more spares and have to focus on accuracy and execution.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

stevespo wrote:
I read an interview with a bowler that detailed their strategy on these sport patterns, and it amounted to 1/2 the team throwing 360/500 grit sanded equipment up the first arrow and the other 1/2 of the team throwing their plastic spare balls straight down the middle at the headpin/pocket. This is during their practice, and nobody was trying to get lined up - just to change the shot. I can't remember if it was a college team or something they were doing at Nationals.
Pretty sure Webber Intl does that.
I think with the new oils like Current, which dont move or deteriorate very much you're going to see less and less of that if the new oils continue to stay put for longer.

I bowled on Current for a few weeks, it takes games and games to loosen up, pretty neat and a little weird to see the fresh condition stay for so long. A good friend of mine said "good, thats how it should be". It certainly will keep those that expose late block easier conditions more honest.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Eric wrote
I think with the new oils like Current, which dont move or deteriorate very much you're going to see less and less of that if the new oils continue to stay put for longer.

I bowled on Current for a few weeks, it takes games and games to loosen up, pretty neat and a little weird to see the fresh condition stay for so long. A good friend of mine said "good, thats how it should be". It certainly will keep those that expose late block easier conditions more honest.
Indeed!

Some info -
http://www.kegel.net/current/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
stevespo
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

MegaMav wrote:Pretty sure Webber Intl does that.
Yes, I believe it was Del Warren, or one of his athletes. So, by "read an interview" what I really meant was "watched a youTube video" or possibly "listened to a podcast"...

Regardless, you can see this if you watch the team warmup during the college tournaments (ITC, etc). Webber athletes are pretty darn versatile and disciplined (and successful!).

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

stevespo wrote:Webber athletes are pretty darn versatile and disciplined (and successful!).
Which is pretty much the point of my earlier post - are 5 high school kids versatile and disciplined enough to make lane carving work to their advantage the way a Webber International team is? I'm not saying they shouldn't try but they should think it out/practice it before applying it in a competition setting.