Finger Thumb Pitch

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

akcraigw1999
Preferred Company: Motiv

Finger Thumb Pitch

Post by akcraigw1999 »

My current fit is:
LF: 4" cut to cut 3/8" Reverse Not sure on the lateral but i know its left and no more than 1/2"
RF: 3 7/8" cut to cut 1/2" Reverse 5/16" Right
Thumb: 1/8" Reverse 1/16" left
LF: Size 3 grip with vacu inserts
RF: Same as LF
Thumb: Cone 7

Problems:
Lately I have been having problems with my thumb. I get pain on the sides of my thumbs and sometimes I get some small pressure spots on my thumb.
Also sometimes I feel like I'm dropping the ball in my release and then, once in a while, the ball completely falls off my hand in my downswing.
The reason for so much reverse, especially in my fingers, is I had surgery on my RF and I don't have much flexibility in them anymore.
Really just looking for suggestions on possible grip changes.

Specs:
Axis Tilt: 7-10 degrees
Axis Rotation: ~45 degrees
PAP: 5 7/8 right and 0 up/down
Rev Rate:425-450

Arsenal:
Storm Code Red
Roto Grip Hyper Cell Skid
Brunswick Mastermind
Roto Grip Outcry
Roto Grip Wreckem
TheMilkMan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 221
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/8" X 0
Speed: 16.5-17.5
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Still Looking for one . . .
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Cell (original)
Light Oil Ball: Storm Fast
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Finger Thumb Pitch

Post by TheMilkMan »

In my opinion, if you're having soreness in your thumb and issues dropping the ball, you should have your grip and thumb hole re-evaluated. Your span and pitches could be good but your thumb hole could be too large or it should be shaped different (oval instead of cone). You could be squeezing or knuckling due to a fit or hole size which is causing the issue. If you trust your proshop operator... tell him/her about the issues and see what they can do to help. You can also check the fitting guide in the Wiki here if you want to do some things on your own.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

I hate doing this stuff over the internet but without seeing your hand and knowing the flex of your thumb, I would try zero f/r pitch for the thumb- for most people most of the time, the reverse in your thumb is too much which causes you the "lose" the ball. It may be that simple.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
akcraigw1999
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by akcraigw1999 »

guruU2 wrote:I hate doing this stuff over the internet but without seeing your hand and knowing the flex of your thumb, I would try zero f/r pitch for the thumb- for most people most of the time, the reverse in your thumb is too much which causes you the "lose" the ball. It may be that simple.
I would consider my thumb "tight" ~95° angle made with index finger when extended to a comfortable range.