Taping Question

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Taping Question

Post by pjape »

When taping the thumb hole, does it matter how low we put the tape? I want to give another tiered taping another try, but I have a very long thumb, much longer than the tape, so I'm going to have to put the tape pretty far down the hole so the end of my thumb and the bottom of the tape are even. To do this, I'm going to to have my thumb hole drilled deeper, so if it's a problem, I'll not do it.
trackbowler
Matchplay Champion
Matchplay Champion
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 1/2 up
Speed: 18 off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Taping Question

Post by trackbowler »

pjape wrote:When taping the thumb hole, does it matter how low we put the tape? I want to give another tiered taping another try, but I have a very long thumb, much longer than the tape, so I'm going to have to put the tape pretty far down the hole so the end of my thumb and the bottom of the tape are even. To do this, I'm going to to have my thumb hole drilled deeper, so if it's a problem, I'll not do it.
I usually put my tape between 1/8-1/4" from the bevel at the top. I don't believe you need to drill your thumb hole deeper to accomplish this with tiered taping. All you need to do is cut some of the length off of the bottom of the tape so that it meets the bottom of the hole.
Kyle
pjape

Post by pjape »

trackbowler wrote:
I usually put my tape between 1/8-1/4" from the bevel at the top. I don't believe you need to drill your thumb hole deeper to accomplish this with tiered taping. All you need to do is cut some of the length off of the bottom of the tape so that it meets the bottom of the hole.
If I put the tape 1/4" from the bevel at the top (which is what I normally do), I do have plenty of room for the tape without cutting any off. The problem is, the end of my thumb extends 1/2" past the bottom of the tape. Normally this isn't an issue, but with tiered taping, the highest section of tape at the bottom is not going to be at the end of my thumb. For this to work, I would have to put the tape lower in the hole, which would force me to drill the hole deeper. I really don't think the tiered taping would work with a 1/2" of tape torn off the bottom.
djp1080
THS Average: 185
Heavy Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Dark Legend, Wreck-IT
Medium Oil Ball: Hy-Road, IQ Tour 30, Reign On, Byte, Code Black
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by djp1080 »

When using Slowinski's method of tiered taping, you're supposed to use five pieces of tape to get the 2, 4 and 6 layers. So you're cutting the tape into halves and quarters already.
I've been using his method for quite some time now. Generally the top of the tape in my thumb hole is about 1/2 to 3/4" down in the hole. I may add another layer or two towards the bottom of the hole to get the feel right. I'll manipulate the placing around the hole a bit, too, to get the positioning of my thumb pad right.
Just get the feel that makes it right for you!
My goal is to fill in the gap between the end of your thumb and the sides of the hole. By doing this you'll have less tendency to want to squeeze the ball on your shots. You'll relax your hand naturally or at least not feel like you have to hold onto the ball.
Good luck...
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Additional comments and a video!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12611&hilit=Tiered" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheerio!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Some taping reference videos

Bowling Knowledge's Tiered Taping Directions
[youtube][/youtube]

From the Increase Your Average DVDS Elite Coaching Edition: Using Tape to Help with Grip Pressure
[youtube][/youtube]

Summer School - Tape Spectacular Part 1 with Lane Side Reviews
[youtube][/youtube]

Summer School - Tape Spectacular Part 2 with Lane Side Reviews
[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

There is another recent forum thread dealing with whether folks think two handers have an advantage.

This is one area where a no thumber definitely has and advantage ...
;)

Those rubber inserts mentioned earlier in this thread are worth a try.

What really should be strived for is learning how not to knuckle or grab.
Pros use tape, but I don't think it's because of this bad habit.
I used to think of fabricating some kind of thumb sleeve that prevented a bend, sort of a wrist support for the thumb.

Reasons for knuckling need to be addressed.
If it is a bandaid solution, a cure should be attempted.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

kajmk wrote: I used to think of fabricating some kind of thumb sleeve that prevented a bend, sort of a wrist support for the thumb.
They basically already have one, the tapered thumb insert.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."