Rotation without tension

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Rotation without tension

Post by pjape »

Last night was our first night of league, and while it was a disaster for me, I did learn something.

At my last coaching session a week ago, my coach was trying to get me to get my axis rotation up to 45-60*. While I was able to do this to some extent, he (and someone else that happened to be there) noticed I was still muscling the ball as I got close to the release point.

Last night, I was stupidly trying to apply too many new things. Game one was a whopping 131 (475 series). About half way through game two, I decided to forget about my a/r, as well as having a more open shoulder (another thing we were working on). I quickly found that once I wasn't "trying" to apply more rotation, my swing really freed up. I picked up 3 mph on my ball speed, and I could also tell my rev rate was up too.

My question is, how can I increase my rotation without muscling the ball? I don't know how much is physical and how much is mental, though I suspect it's more of the latter. I marvel at PDW, who can get so much rotation without any grab. I attended a PBA event this last weekend, and saw first hand how being able to up one's a/r is a huge advantage when the midlanes got really fried (and man did they break down in a hurry!). Those that couldn't do this as well ended up out of the money.

Suggestions?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Rotation without tension

Post by EricHartwell »

I get more rotation working the outside of the ball. I do realize this goes against the modern release and working the inside of the ball. When I do this my rev rate does go down and speed goes up. This in turn makes it more difficult to get the ball to roll so controlling my speed becomes critical. But the added rotation is effortless. fwiw
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Rotation without tension

Post by kajmk »