Plug epoxy resin

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

poloidrogo
Preferred Company: storm

Plug epoxy resin

Post by poloidrogo »

I got some Vise rapid cure to plug my bowling balls, but the hardener is to dark and have hard time to match colors, I called them and they come up with a color match list which I should use half of the pigment bottle to mach the color which is not worth it . Any ideas which one to buy that both are clear hardener and resin ?? so is easier for me to match colors ?? it doesn't matter if I have to wait 24 hours to get it dry.

Thanks in advance
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Plug epoxy resin

Post by bowl1820 »

Half a bottle of color?? That cant be right.

As for the hardener did you consider getting new fresh bottle.

Does your hardener look like the one shwn here.

[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

poloidrogo wrote:I got some Vise rapid cure to plug my bowling balls, but the hardener is to dark and have hard time to match colors, I called them and they come up with a color match list which I should use half of the pigment bottle to mach the color which is not worth it . Any ideas which one to buy that both are clear hardener and resin ?? so is easier for me to match colors ?? it doesn't matter if I have to wait 24 hours to get it dry.

Thanks in advance
As much as I love John and his products, I am not a fan of quick plug of any types.

I do a lot plugging, and I would suggest either Motiv's HD or HR (which is not as good as it used to be, HD for colder weather, HR for warmer weather) or Ebonites EverClear.

Just make sure you use white as your base coats before you add most colors (I do not use it for Red or Yellow).
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

MeNoRevs wrote: Just make sure you use white as your base coats before you add most colors (I do not use it for Red or Yellow).
Great advice. I'm using Innovative/Pro's Choice 6 hour and a little bit of white goes a long way. Avoid overmixing as it seems to create shrinkage problems (air bubbles?). It seems quite sensitive to shop temperature, so I like the idea of trying the Motiv products and using one for winter and one for summer.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

I have used Rapid Cure and found it to be prone to bubbles and is very difficult to color match.
Currently using CS Hybrid (quick, easy to color match and finish, but prone to visible seams) and Motiv HD, which is outstanding if you have the time.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
poloidrogo

Post by poloidrogo »

MeNoRevs wrote:
As much as I love John and his products, I am not a fan of quick plug of any types.

I do a lot plugging, and I would suggest either Motiv's HD or HR (which is not as good as it used to be, HD for colder weather, HR for warmer weather) or Ebonites EverClear.

Just make sure you use white as your base coats before you add most colors (I do not use it for Red or Yellow).
poloidrogo

Post by poloidrogo »

stevespo wrote:
Great advice. I'm using Innovative/Pro's Choice 6 hour and a little bit of white goes a long way. Avoid overmixing as it seems to create shrinkage problems (air bubbles?). It seems quite sensitive to shop temperature, so I like the idea of trying the Motiv products and using one for winter and one for summer.

Steve
Thanks for the advice I will try Motive product now
poloidrogo

Post by poloidrogo »

bowl1820 wrote:Half a bottle of color?? That cant be right.

As for the hardener did you consider getting new fresh bottle.

Does your hardener look like the one shwn here.

[youtube][/youtube]

That's the reason I bought this product because I saw this video, but the hardener I got is brown color and is really hard to mach specially because it get hard on 1 minute.
poloidrogo

Post by poloidrogo »

snick wrote:I have used Rapid Cure and found it to be prone to bubbles and is very difficult to color match.
Currently using CS Hybrid (quick, easy to color match and finish, but prone to visible seams) and Motiv HD, which is outstanding if you have the time.

Thanks much for your response.
poloidrogo

Post by poloidrogo »

MeNoRevs wrote:

Thanks much for you help I will try the white as a base